Big Change in Penang

There was a thread before about Penang now only accepting 200/250 ?applications a day.

Is there anyone who has been there since it re-opened (9th?) who can post if that is causing any problems or not?

Any photos of the new layout?

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, Kaalle said:

Visa run companies in Phuket still has the Penang trip as an option and zero info added on fb or webpage concerning tickets or maximum applications. Strange...

Surely the sensible thing to do is ask those companies what the latest situation is -- They will know. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swimman said:

Surely the sensible thing to do is ask those companies what the latest situation is -- They will know. 

First thing I did when I read the thread, and like I wrote in a previous post they deny any changes in policy. 

32 minutes ago, Kaalle said:

First thing I did when I read the thread, and like I wrote in a previous post they deny any changes in policy. 

One of those Companies makes the trip to Panang on Sun, Mon, Tues and Wed. - They use accommodation at a well-known visa agents guest house,  So if they say no change why not believe them? The last thing they need is dissatisfied customers.

2 hours ago, Swimman said:

One of those Companies makes the trip to Panang on Sun, Mon, Tues and Wed. - They use accommodation at a well-known visa agents guest house,  So if they say no change why not believe them? The last thing they need is dissatisfied customers.

Hmm yeah Im well aware when the companies make trips and that some use Banana, others Swiss hotel. I havent said I beleive or disbeleive any one. If you read the thread you will see the info about the "big change" came from an agent in Penang. Anyway it wouldnt suprise me if Banana for example could work their magic, perhaps for an extra thousand baht, whatever the issue is. But im also very keen on some feedback from some one who actually made the trip recently. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Received a tourist visa in penang a couple of weeks ago via Jim. There was no requirement for a return ticket to your home country, he just suggested making it to Singapore or somewhere further than say Penang. This seemed to be somewhat based on how many visas you had in your passport already however (I only had one and a 30 day entry). Also needed accommodation proof, such as booking.com printout (which can be cancelled) or letter from the person you are staying with. Very straightforward if your passport isn't already loaded with tourist visas. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, lennois said:

Received a tourist visa in penang a couple of weeks ago via Jim. There was no requirement for a return ticket to your home country, he just suggested making it to Singapore or somewhere further than say Penang. This seemed to be somewhat based on how many visas you had in your passport already however (I only had one and a 30 day entry). Also needed accommodation proof, such as booking.com printout (which can be cancelled) or letter from the person you are staying with. Very straightforward if your passport isn't already loaded with tourist visas. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Strange that this whole thing started with Jim posting the "flight home" requirement, yet now he's not even mentioning it.   This makes no sense to me.  One big false alarm.  Although more data would be nice.

Will Penang issue an SETV if I have 3 visas from other consulates in my passport already?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

"Submission of fake document = 1 year blacklisting"

Wonder whether thats a reference to the people who use fake airline tickets?

Time will tell.

As I posted in another thread where it was claimed no funds were required for a multi O in HCMC. I took bank book and copies JIC and had to submit them. The words of the staff were 'soon, all places will be the same.'

22 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Last time I applied there (for a non-O) they weren't interested in my GBP bank account, they only wanted to see Thai Baht accounts

Looks like Thai baht/Thai bank only. Not posted on their website though.

Edited by overherebc

4 hours ago, elviajero said:

Read point 5. again. It's clearly not "Thai baht/Thai bank only".

Provided the people in the Consulate read point 5.

They were only interested in a Thai bank account when I applied in October last year, despite having obtained a non-O 6 months earlier with a GBP account statement.

They also asked for the letter from the Thai bank confirming the amount of money.

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Provided the people in the Consulate read point 5.

They were only interested in a Thai bank account when I applied in October last year, despite having obtained a non-O 6 months earlier with a GBP account statement.

They also asked for the letter from the Thai bank confirming the amount of money.

It does seem relative as you are applying for a visa to stay/live in Thailand.

Didn't read all 12-pages with posts, so excuse if it's already been covered, but found shared this official information from Penang...

Penang.jpg.6a70870db7373188dff23bc06d85d20b.jpg

Edited by khunPer

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Kaalle said:

Never mind they are still up and running and apperently Penang is still doable for SETV. 

If you go, please leave us feedback on the latest requirements. In particular, is the rumored requirement for a ticket to your home country being enforced?

If you go, please leave us feedback on the latest requirements. In particular, is the rumored requirement for a ticket to your home country being enforced?
Its gonna be a while until I go, probably 3 months. Vientiane for setv and then a new passport. According to visa company ticket out of Thailand not to home country. The list she sent me did not include the rule about max. 100 applicants per day I might add also.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

On 7/15/2018 at 4:26 AM, BritTim said:

I went back in the beginning of June and made a post about it on Thai Visa. They almost denied me a tourist visa in Penang because I did not have tickets going back to the USA. For those who don't seem to get this, yes, they are going way beyond their own laws and not just requiring an onward ticket outside of Thailand but are now requesting you have tickets to your home country.  I told them I have to go to China on business after I leave Thailand and they still gave me trouble saying next time I need to have tickets back to my country of origin. Knowing Thailand this is the way it starts and it's probably only a matter of time before people start getting denied visa's over this and Penang becomes an unusable consulate, maybe they want it that way so they can Sanook, Sabay all day.

As I have mentioned before to people traditional western tourists need to wake up to the fact that we are not welcome or perceived as needed anymore. Thailand has their sites set on the millions of Chinese tourists that come for 2 weeks, spend a bunch of money, then go back home. Let them have their Chinese, we need to start going elsewhere and stop supporting them treating us like garbage.

Edited by vinegarbase
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...