looking for a bank in bangkok to open account . They all refuse.

FATCA, CRS, AEOI. Banks just don't want the increased risk of foreigner accounts. Hong Kong and Singapore, for example, previously world banking centres, won't open accounts without legal residence.

'Murrican? Don't even get me started! Fuhgeddaboutit...

Today (pink bank forgot name) told me 

my passport non-o visa 

kor 22  

wife id

and wife present while opening account is enough. So we go home took papers go back. The lady came and started telling me work permit after she talk to her boss . 

kill my 3 hours! 300 baht taxi, back pain.

I really think thailand hate foreigners.

I am not tourist, i just want to finish all paperwork before my visa expires so in the future if i have to buy something or decide to stay with my wife i can send 400k baht to thailand. I dont want their money i want give money to thailand.

I think you have to prepare all papers with you incase if they agree to open your account you have to do on that moment with that person.

Not after dinner not 10 minutes later shoot and finish.

In my case bank changed mind in 1 hour and ruined my day.

oh forgot i go another bank blue, first they said no no no work permit. Than i said my wife shut up, took 6k american $ count it out of pocket exhanged 700$ and told them i want to put this money and send 400k baht next month. She go boss and changed mind about work permit. Now they want tabian bahn of my wife, house owner (aunt) present at the opening and they said they can open. 

Edited by RailroadTycoon

10 minutes ago, RailroadTycoon said:

Today (pink bank forgot name) told me 

my passport non-o visa 

kor 22  

wife id

and wife present while opening account is enough. So we go home took papers go back. The lady came and started telling me work permit after she talk to her boss . 

kill my 3 hours! 300 baht taxi, back pain.

I really think thailand hate foreigners.

I am not tourist, i just want to finish all paperwork before my visa expires so in the future if i have to buy something or decide to stay with my wife i can send 400k baht to thailand. I dont want their money i want give money to thailand.

I think you have to prepare all papers with you incase if they agree to open your account you have to do on that moment with that person.

Not after dinner not 10 minutes later shoot and finish.

In my case bank changed mind in 1 hour and ruined my day.

oh forgot i go another bank blue, first they said no no no work permit. Than i said my wife shut up, took 6k american $ count it out of pocket exhanged 700$ and told them i want to put this money and send 400k baht next month. She go boss and changed mind about work permit. Now they want tabian bahn of my wife, house owner (aunt) present at the opening and they said they can open. 

you might want to think about not getting too frustrated in front of the staff. hold that back. telling your wife to shut up in front of people would not have helped your chances. you need to chill mate. i already posted on this thread all you need to do. but 1st i think i may understand why you're having problems. keep your frustrations at bay, not just in a minor task of opening an account but in everything you do here. that will help you i promise

**good you can finally open the account BTW

Edited by Happy enough
  • Like 1

railroad tycoon, the bank wants proof of where you live.  that is a fairly standard thing for opening an account.

it is not unusual to have to visit the same bank branch twice. once to learn what they need, second to bring what they need.

2 minutes ago, buick said:

railroad tycoon, the bank wants proof of where you live.  that is a fairly standard thing for opening an account.

it is not unusual to have to visit the same bank branch twice. once to learn what they need, second to bring what they need.

there is this thing called a telephone that some here seem to have forgotten. to save time. call the branch before you go. is it really that difficult

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

you might want to think about not getting too frustrated in front of the staff. hold that back. telling your wife to shut up in front of people would not have helped your chances. you need to chill mate. i already posted on this thread all you need to do. but 1st i think i may understand why you're having problems. keep your frustrations at bay, not just in a minor task of opening an account but in everything you do here. that will help you i promise

**good you can finally open the account BTW

you are right, i shouldn't act like this is my home country. I always try to keep calm and smile when they tell me work permit the moment i first ask i just go my way . but this time she told me bring those papers and come back so we drive back room and come back just because of that and suddenly she say ..... off.

first time i get really angry in thailand. 

Not only this also registering my foreign marriage is pain in the ....   

amphur also don't register my adress even though they did register marriage. They say i have to be a retired person to register in my wifes aunt house (also my wifes tabiahn bahn on this adress)

1 minute ago, RailroadTycoon said:

you are right, i shouldn't act like this is my home country. I always try to keep calm and smile when they tell me work permit the moment i first ask i just go my way . but this time she told me bring those papers and come back so we drive back room and come back just because of that and suddenly she say ..... off.

amphur also don't register my adress even though they did register marriage. They say i have to be a retired person to register in my wifes aunt house (also my wifes tabiahn bahn on this adress)

i understand mate. just always try to remain cool, calm and collected here. in europe sometimes getting angry gets you somewhere and it's a natural trait. but understand here it gets you further from your goal, pretty much always. difficult i know but it soon becomes second nature. just smile and be thankful and get the account open and move on from that ; ) there'll be plenty more frustrations coming your way real soon 555

9 minutes ago, RailroadTycoon said:

about this amphur and not registering at your aunts house address as have to be retired. i think some others with experience might be able to advise on that as that doesn't seem right

On 3/8/2018 at 1:00 AM, Crisu said:

I did it with UOB in patong without work permit in jan. 18 but asked in bkk silom complex uob branch and they told the same:

No work permit
No own condo

just to clarify, you've been to the 'silom complex'.  is that the shopping mall next to the sala daeng BTS ? 

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/SavingsAccounts/Pages/Default.aspx

link for foreigners opening savings account at bangkok bank (the dark blue one). 

1. Foreigner with a Work Permit

• Passport
  • Work Permit

2. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa

• Passport
  • A Letter of Reference issued by: (One of the following)
    • Embassy or international organization
    • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
    • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
    • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
    • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

In addition, other document that shows the name of the customer can be used as a supported document besides the documents mentioned above i.e. a document showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a condominium.

3. Foreigner with Permanent Residence in Thailand

• Passport or Certificate of Residence or Alien Certificate
  • House Registration

now it is me again:

this part below (under #2 as well) is what states you have to prove your address.  the wording about 'owning' is just an example of what you use to prove you have a residence.  your rental agreement will be fine (or for railroad tycoon, he's got to get his wife's house book).

In addition, other document that shows the name of the customer can be used as a supported document besides the documents mentioned above i.e. a document showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a condominium.

and the most common 'letter of reference' under #2 is the letter from embassy stating your passport is real.  i brought the template letter that bangkok bank wanted completed to the US embassy.  the US embassy threw it in the trash and provided their own letter.  bangkok bank silom (main branch) accepted it w/o question.

i also opened an account with krungthai (light blue) on the same day.  their branch on sukhumvit soi 22.  but they've since closed and i closed the account once i learned the terms of their foreign currency accounts.  i wanted a branch with both thai and USD accounts.  bangkok appears to be the best for foreign currency accounts. 

Edited by buick

I hit this wall 18 months ago in Udon Thani. First 2 attempts they insisted on a  work permit, even with visa extension, proof of address (well driving licence), wife, blue book, marriage certificate and even one of their bank officers who is a relative! Next attempt at Krungsri they asked for work permit, then  said wife and blue book would do. Turned up with those and then they said had to be yellow book ... didn't have that but that is another story. Next bank same work permit bullshit, Finally tried another Krungsri branch and they asked for work permit or yellow book again, so i got chatting to the girl and talked about our daughters (hers and mine), and i told her the story of why i didn't have a yellow book (corruption, asked for stupid amount of money). She then said my driving licence will do .......

Have to just keep trying and be friendly and try to strike up a connection. But seriously, this is a real pain in the neck and i think immigration need to help people.

On 3/6/2018 at 4:42 PM, HooHaa said:

kassikorn main branch as well between soi 1 and 3. when people visit me in the area and ask i send them there, never failed yet

Bangkok bank emporium im told as well.

Bangkok Bank Emporium also says no sometimes. Our passport full of  non-O's didn't do the trick. My embassy doesn't certify p.ports. Not all embassies do.

We found a way round and sorted it out with UOB. But min. opening deposit is 50,000 Baht.

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

Bangkok Bank Emporium also says no sometimes. Our passport full of  non-O's didn't do the trick. My embassy doesn't certify p.ports. Not all embassies do.

We found a way round and sorted it out with UOB. But min. opening deposit is 50,000 Baht.

but this 'no' from the emporium branch was related to your inability to fulfill the 'letter of reference' requirement, right ?  (not your fault, just an embassy issue).  if so, it wasn't really a no from them.  it is good to hear from several people that UOB is willing to work with foreigners (the minimum deposit doesn't sound to onerous for people staying long term).  another thread going now is negative on bangkok bank dropping Visa and turning to Union Pay so there may be some more new accounts over at UOB !!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jackdd said:
21 hours ago, rickudon said:

i think immigration need to help people.

That's definitely not their job ;)

Actually I think it is......

One of the main reasons for people needing to open bank accounts is the meet the economic requirements by immigration to get extensions based on marriage/retirement.

With the banks attitude towards potential customers at the moment ('you need work permit'), they are creating visa runners/cheaters out of people who could meet the economic requirements.....

So yes maybe immigration should take a talk to the banks about, what is required to open a simple savings account...

And publicize the guidelines on the immigration website, so the rules will be the same all over the country and in all banks...

• Like 1

Bangkok bank will open with any visa but non-o s get some special privilege. You should be able to provide

1. Permanent address in Thailand (lease will do)

2. Your US address (assuming US resident or address in country of resident)

I

As with everything in LOS it's potluck, though there's more success to be had outside of BKK.  In BKK they're inundated with foreigners applying for accounts so are far more officious.

Up north I walked into my wife's hometown Bangkok Bank branch accompanied by my lovely wife, 3k Baht initial deposit and passport on a 30 day visa exempt stamp and left 25 minutes later with a savings account and ATM card, which is all I need, and that was the first time I'd applied in LOS.  Decorum and courtesy also goes a long way in getting the staff on side.

The money I save alone on AirAsia booking fees far outstrips Bangkok Bank's annual fees by a country mile.  I also send money to my account when the exchange rate is favourable for our forthcoming holidays.  Once you've got an account and whilst living in falangland ensure to keep it live with semi-regular activity and a positive balance to ensure the fees are settled on time otherwise your account will be promptly closed.  I generally leave the account 2-3k Baht in credit and the Bangkok Bank app is excellent in keeping track. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2018 at 7:01 PM, buick said:

but this 'no' from the emporium branch was related to your inability to fulfill the 'letter of reference' requirement, right ?  (not your fault, just an embassy issue).  if so, it wasn't really a no from them.  it is good to hear from several people that UOB is willing to work with foreigners (the minimum deposit doesn't sound to onerous for people staying long term).  another thread going now is negative on bangkok bank dropping Visa and turning to Union Pay so there may be some more new accounts over at UOB !!!

No. It was not my inability to fulfill the embassy letter requirement, but the lack of work permit. Even the branch manager insisted on W.P.  It never got to embassy letter stage. And for UOB we required a reference from Singapore which we could supply. 

2 hours ago, Letseng said:

No. It was not my inability to fulfill the embassy letter requirement, but the lack of work permit. Even the branch manager insisted on W.P.  It never got to embassy letter stage. And for UOB we required a reference from Singapore which we could supply. 

thanks for the correction.  i was a bit confused by one of your posts but today i saw this one plus another one of yours in this thread from about a week ago.  work permit issue was mentioned in the one a week ago but not in a more recent one and i wasn't able to connect the two.   

This is what i recommend all the time without work permit or condo:

Avoid the hassle with thai banks and go straight to UOB bank.

The 50.000 min deposit you can wthdraw already the next day.
You not need to keep it in the account.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crisu said:

This is what i recommend all the time without work permit or condo:

Avoid the hassle with thai banks and go straight to UOB bank.

The 50.000 min deposit you can wthdraw already the next day.
You not need to keep it in the account.

interesting that you recommend uob. why not just open a thai account? really not that difficult for those handing out recommendations and someone who therefore must know a condo or WP isn't required

interesting that you recommend uob. why not just open a thai account?

No problem just go and try yourself who want bangkok bank, krungsri ect.

I think we will soon see anither thread like 'i tried 100 banks and all refused'

On 3/10/2018 at 11:50 PM, onera1961 said:

Bangkok bank will open with any visa but non-o s get some special privilege. You should be able to provide

1. Permanent address in Thailand (lease will do)

2. Your US address (assuming US resident or address in country of resident)

Not since around two or three years ago. If on a long stay visa, work permit or embassy letter confirming residence is now required. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Crisu said:

No problem just go and try yourself who want bangkok bank, krungsri ect.

I think we will soon see anither thread like 'i tried 100 banks and all refused'

Sure, like I have been saying most of the info. here is old and factless with miminal branch information and no person to contact.

Sounds like you chose the smartest path.

Sure, like I have been saying most of the info. here is old and factless with miminal branch information and no person to contact.
Sounds like you chose the smartest path.

I not know if it is the smartest path, but i know what i did ~2 month ago with UOB bank and i still read the advice - if someone dont have work permit - try this or that thai bank and if one refuse go to next one branch.
I can only say good luck with the search or you go just straight to UOB and save a lot of time and hassle.

Who not believe: ok go and learn your lession.

52 minutes ago, Crisu said:

I not know if it is the smartest path, but i know what i did ~2 month ago with UOB bank and i still read the advice - if someone dont have work permit - try this or that thai bank and if one refuse go to next one branch.
I can only say good luck with the search or you go just straight to UOB and save a lot of time and hassle.

Who not believe: ok go and learn your lession.

And all depends which branch you go to. 

And all depends which branch you go to. 

I have been 2 months ago at UOB bank in silom branch in silom complex.

They said no problem no have work permit or condo but i should open the account in Patong, Phuket because there is my adress.

When i went to UOB in Patong (there is o only 1 branch) they open the account without work, permit, no girlfriend or thai friend, no condo. Just need to show adress.

I have savings+fixed deposit account now with them, visa debit, internet banking.

I therefore i assume there is no difference between UOB branches.

This was my account opening experience 2 months ago, not 2 years.

Before that, i did what many guys still recommend here: just try many THAI banks+branches in bangkok and patong

but

I failed with all of them because they all asked for work permit or condo.

Thats why i say: go straight to UOB bank and avoid useless trying to open at bangkok bank, kringsri, TMB ect. without work permit.