looking for a bank in bangkok to open account . They all refuse.

13 hours ago, stevenl said:

Check the post above yours.

i don't believe the member i posed the 'what branch' question has clarified which branch he/she used.  i understand that another poster went to the UOB branch in the silom complex but ultimately opened his/her account at UOB in patong.  what i'm trying to get at here is which branches of UOB will open an account for foreigners.  some believe not all branches will.  so we've got one person who gives a thumbs up to the UOB in silom complex, bangkok and UOB in patong, phuket.  i thought the other member might be able to add another branch to the list.

On 3/5/2018 at 8:18 PM, observer90210 said:

It used to be very easy to open an account before....now it has become much more restrictive and not only in Bangkok....what happened ?

International banking law reforms aimed at criminals money laundering etc.

the link above starts off with a member stating that he/she opened a bank account at bangkok bank in chiang mai with a passport (EU) and a visa exempt entry (member states he/she arrived w/o visa).  good news for those planning to live in chiang mai.

Banks have been given strict orders not to open accounts on tourist visas. Just non-o or non-b. You were dead lucky to open account I'd say.

I'm a bit confused by this. I thought to get the non-o or non-b you needed to show money in a thai bank account. If I can't open a Thai bank account on a tourist visa how can I show sufficient funds. Is a foreign bank account ok.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

I'm a bit confused by this. I thought to get the non-o or non-b you needed to show money in a thai bank account. If I can't open a Thai bank account on a tourist visa how can I show sufficient funds. Is a foreign bank account ok.

No bank account is needed for a Non B visa. With Non O visas, the situation is more complex. Non O visas based on Thai spouse or Thai child from a consulate often require no financial proof. Where financial proof is required, usually proof of income is an acceptable alternative to money in the bank. At a consulate outside Thailand, you can show proof of money in the bank from your home country. A Non O visa from your immigration office in Thailand (if not using proof of income) requires money in a Thai bank account. 

• Like 1

Look , we can confirm that it is more difficult to open accounts after the junta took over , maybe they try to be more restrictive towards foreigners. 

I can give you a list of branches that I know still accept foreigners , in recent months here in Pattaya : Kasikorn Royal Garden Plaza, Kasikorn Big C Xtra, central road.  I also opened an account with L&H bank , same location (Big C) , but that was 2 years ago so can't confirm now. 
Also Kasikorn Jomtien beach road are friendly towards foreigners. 

The last account I personally opened with Kasikorn was in Chiang Mai , when I had to live there for 6 months. That was back in January 2017.  I only showed them my short term rental contract and my Thai DL. 

I am the owner of 7 bank accounts in Thailand , 4 of them opened with a tourist visa, the other opened based on my non-imm retirement visa, 
3 accounts in Bangkok , 3 in Pattaya and 1 in CM.  Why ? To avoid transfer fees when I move to a new district. 

Did any branches tell me, No you can't open without a work permit ? Yes , at least 5 branches said no can not do.   Just move on to the next branch . 

Am on a METV. I took your advice and tried Kasikorn Jomtien and Royal Garden Plaza. I was polite but a little insistent but both said I needed a work permit. Royal Garden Plaza did say if I owned a condo I could open an account on a tourist visa.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Chrisdoc said:

and tried Kasikorn Jomtien and Royal Garden Plaza.

Then I suggest you move on to Big C Xtra Central road. When you look at the foreigners lining up in queue there you understand it's the most popular branch in Pattaya .

I would be surprised they turn you down there also , unless you can not show them a rental contract , you need to carry with you from immigration a residence certificate to show proof of address.  A hotel address is not good enough . 

• Like 1