Over 70 Percent Of Thais Diagnosed With Hypertension, Diabetes Mellitus, And Hyperlipidemia

Jai Dee

Over 70 percent of Thais diagnosed with hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and hyperlipidemia

Department of Disease Control Region 5 revealed that over 70 percent of Thais are reportedly ill with hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and hyperlipidemia.

Md. Somchai Tangsupachai (สมชาย ตั้งสุภาชัย), the director-general of the Department of Disease Control from Nakhon Ratchasima (นครราชสีมา) Province revealed the latest research of Thais’ health. He said that Thais have a high tendency to become sick as many still stick to drinking and smoking.

Many of them have dislike eating vegetable and fruit in addition to disliking exercise.

Most of these chareacteristics behaviors are found in men than women.

Md. Somchai has urged Thais to exercise at least 30 minutes every day, avoid carbohydrate, sugar, and fat, and comsume more vegetable and fruit.

He said that it will help keep them away from illnesses.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 January 2007

In which part of the world you will often see a BOTTLE of whisky on the table say during dinner? SODA may soften the bitter taste of whisky (I hate whiskey with soda by the way) but the Thais just love it. Heavy drinking is one big factor of the hypertension on many Thai people...

I have read that in just a few decades the Thai rate of diabetes has increased from minimal to on par with countries like the US. Blame it on the farangs!

They do need some more awareness about sugar. Why is their a ton of sugar in so many drinks in Thailand? You order some kind of herbal juice and it turns out to be a sugar injection with a touch of herb.

Edited by Jingthing

Surely related to the booming instant/junk food industry.

I don't see them adding much salt when preparing food here but there's always a flurry of sugar.

Monosodium glutamate is used a lot in cooking here as well. "Ajinamoto" brand is the most common. That stuff is very bad for blood pressure and health generally. The Japs and Chinese use it a lot too.

Thais love spicy sugary food, and often disdain physical effort. Should see some of the posing in the gym I use. :D

The popularity of fast-food joints is disappointing though. Like eating KFC is some sort of status symbol??? :o

You see the thai always add a mix of sugar/salt/chilly dip to their consumption of already very sweet fruit. If you ask them why, they respond that the fruit is sour...

I put the blame on the overuse of chilly, which makes everything " no car and nation" (no taste = mai mi lot chaad). The same orange which I share with a thai is sour to the thai and sweet to me.

I don't see them adding much salt when preparing food here but there's always a flurry of sugar.

the fish, oyster, soya and other souces are some 30% salt - sometimes you can even see the salt crystilised on the bottle cap. Thai use those souces instead of salt crystals

Too much oil, salt , sugar and lack of exercise all contribute to a very bad health situation for many Thais.

I find it very hard to eat healthy food in Thailand unless i cook it myself.

Try eating vegetarian. The food if properly prepared is excellent. Some of the meat substitutes are so good they almost taste like the real thing. After I changed my diet my cholesterol dropped so much they had to cut my Zocor.

the fish, oyster, soya and other souces are some 30% salt - sometimes you can even see the salt crystilised on the bottle cap. Thai use those souces instead of salt crystals

Hey, Thais don't use them instead of salt, they use them in addition to salt. My wife has been slowly poisoning me with salty food these past ten years, and is only now just starting to get the message that salty food is neither necessary, delicious nor healthy. She's cut down the daily salt dose recently I'm glad to say, and is now much more aware of the dangers of too much salt and sugar in food. Will never get her off the pla rah and somtam in a thousand years.... :o

Just have a look in a 7/11 and tell me after what is good for your health and what product has not too much sugar, salt etc. - not many I think. Better you don't eat or drink every day this stuff.

IMO this farang foods and drinks make the Thais sick - especially childs.

Just have a look in a 7/11 and tell me after what is good for your health and what product has not too much sugar, salt etc. - not many I think. Better you don't eat or drink every day this stuff.

But the blame where it belongs.

The softdrinks are manufactured HERE, and the suger-ratio is a local recipy, even on international brands. I mean, com'on, you cannot have missed the fact that ther taste is different of Coke here then perhaps back in your homecountry? Atleast the scandinavian version contains less sugar then here...

And don't forget to check out the streetvendors when they prepare your little box of food...yes, they add sugar to the noodles or whatever you are having.

I've never had this high suger-intake before I came here...and I drank a lot of soda before.

Over 70 percent of Thais diagnosed with hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and hyperlipidemia

Department of Disease Control Region 5 revealed that over 70 percent of Thais are reportedly ill with hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and hyperlipidemia.

Md. Somchai Tangsupachai (สมชาย ตั้งสุภาชัย), the director-general of the Department of Disease Control from Nakhon Ratchasima (นครราชสีมา) Province revealed the latest research of Thais’ health. He said that Thais have a high tendency to become sick as many still stick to drinking and smoking.

Many of them have dislike eating vegetable and fruit in addition to disliking exercise.

Most of these chareacteristics behaviors are found in men than women.

Md. Somchai has urged Thais to exercise at least 30 minutes every day, avoid carbohydrate, sugar, and fat, and comsume more vegetable and fruit.

He said that it will help keep them away from illnesses.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 January 2007

I wonder who is buying up all the fruits and vegetables at the market if it is not the Thai's. I guess it must be Thai women only.

Also, with his solution to preventing illness, he should inform the scientific community so he can be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for discovering a secret that no other nation on Earth could discover. But I do think some dietitians will argue that carbohydrates, sugar (still a carbohydrate), and fats are essential (vital) to a healthy diet. In fact, without them, you would probably die. :o

everything in moderation - the source of carbohydrate in thailand is mainly the white rice eaten ten times a day. Simple sugars, like fructose, in the foods are healthy - the refined sugar, sacharose, in the quantities which we eat it nowadays is a burden for the digestive system leading to diabetes. Same goes for excess of saturated fats rich in cholesterol eaten in all the meats, especially pork meat.

much healthier option would be eating the brown rice or even replaycing rice with the starch vegetables (like potatoes or corn), cutting out completely on sacharose and eating sweet fruits instead and switching to vegeterian or even vegan diet to cut out on saturated fats, holesterol and other nasty stuff in meats

Edited by londonthai

everything in moderation - the source of carbohydrate in thailand is mainly the white rice eaten ten times a day. Simple sugars, like fructose, in the foods are healthy - the refined sugar, sacharose, in the quantities which we eat it nowadays is a burden for the digestive system leading to diabetes. Same goes for excess of saturated fats rich in cholesterol eaten in all the meats, especially pork meat.

much healthier option would be eating the brown rice or even replaycing rice with the starch vegetables (like potatoes or corn), cutting out completely on sacharose and eating sweet fruits instead and switching to vegeterian or even vegan diet to cut out on saturated fats, holesterol and other nasty stuff in meats

Try and tell someone this...I have painstakingly pointed out to my wife that MSG is really bad for her, she agrees, she calls it hair loss salt. But when asked why she still uses it in copious amounts daily she can only say, saep saep!

I do not think you can blame Farang food for ill health (not in the above quote), Thai food is delicious but has way too much salt, sugar is not used in my household as much as salt/msg is.

Are foreigners force feeding Thais suger and salt? No. It's part of the Thai diet and it's actually what Thais prefer. A lot of the snacks are ridiculously sugary and loaded with food coloring here but they are made according to what Thai people like. A lot of it wouldn't even pass FDA inspection in the U.S. because of carcinogens, sugar content, and sodium.

Are foreigners force feeding Thais suger and salt? No. It's part of the Thai diet and it's actually what Thais prefer. A lot of the snacks are ridiculously sugary and loaded with food coloring here but they are made according to what Thai people like. A lot of it wouldn't even pass FDA inspection in the U.S. because of carcinogens, sugar content, and sodium.

I give you all right! maybe poor copies all... (advertising in television, newspaper etc. - maybe status symbol?) ...and yes they like it more and more as long as they have the money for chips, ice-creams, chocolates etc. and same same with cigarettes and whiskey...

The real Thai food should not make this problem IMO - but I'm also no more so sure about the pesticides in the fruits and vegetables. :o:D :D.

I give you all right! maybe poor copies all... (advertising in television, newspaper etc. - maybe status symbol?) ...and yes they like it more and more as long as they have the money for chips, ice-creams, chocolates etc. and same same with cigarettes and whiskey...

The real Thai food should not make this problem IMO - but I'm also no more so sure about the pesticides in the fruits and vegetables. :o:D:D .

My whole point is that Thai people should look at themselves and their own country before blaming foreigners for everything. Not everything wrong with Thailand is because of foreigners. We aren't asking a large portion of your population to drink whisky and gamble from sun up to sun down which I see everyday. However if there is a MARKET there then you will have big businesses selling to Thai people. I'm sure even with these big whiskey, cigarette, and junk food companies they have majority thais on the board who approve all of this. If you don't want your population to be unhealthy and suffering from alcoholism then maybe you need to start educating your people first. If that's too difficult for Thailand then maybe you need another 500-1,000 years to mature meanwhile the rest of the world will pass you by.

The real Thai food should not make this problem IMO - but I'm also no more so sure about the pesticides in the fruits and vegetables. :o:D:D .

Real Thai food? Coconut based curry and other coconut delights? Good for promoting hypercholesterolemia. Palm oil used for frying? Also a well known contributor to hypercholesterolemia. Rancid palm oil used by street vendors for frying? That one is also carcinogenic? Did the foreigners do this to Thailand?

Real Thai food? Coconut based curry and other coconut delights? Good for promoting hypercholesterolemia. Palm oil used for frying? Also a well known contributor to hypercholesterolemia. Rancid palm oil used by street vendors for frying? That one is also carcinogenic? Did the foreigners do this to Thailand?

Me, and this is the last answer I give, my wife and also my teacher tell me every time, eat from everything a bit, and you'll have all your vitamins what your body need. Anybody don't believe???

This is the answer for farangs they want to live here in LOS!