Fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra gets another arrest warrant in telecom excise tax case

webfact

What were the consequences of this policy decision?

Was the monopoly rent, paid to inefficient state operators as concession fees, fair and efficient from an economic perspective?

Did this decision result in rents (abnormal profits) for the mobile operators during, say, the next five years? Or was it returned to citizen in the form of network investment and better price/quality ratio? Did it foster the growth of mobile telecommunications in Thailand?

The OP cites a loss of 66 billions in concession fees. How much was earned in excise fees? How much increase in tax amount due to the growth of sales by operators during the following years?

I am not sure at all it has been a bad decision for the country, in terms of benefits for consumers and taxation over a certain period.

Now, if it was a good decision, it comes back to the following question: "Is a government leader allowed to make a good decision that also benefits himself?"

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Maybe I am yellow, not sure anymore.. i lean more towards them then I lean towards the red. But right now I think they are all crooks. I told you and others many times, i just hate corruption and arrogance.. and guess what PTP had that.. Junta has it.. Suthep certainly has it and some democrats and others too. I just can't stand the B.S they (all governments of all colors) get away with. 

"yellow' old very deeply entrenched corruption, very similar to the 'old" European families & royalty, there control gave a gateway for thee reds as previously they controlled with no boundaries being put on them! Now they are in control again, despite the "objections, guess they have a bigger army?

My personal hatred in life is lies, you have to learn to live with it as we are constantly lied to and fed bs.

2 minutes ago, newcomer71 said:

I did hate Thaksin and his governments. But guess what? This is doing even worse... 
So I stand by my opinion that this is nothing else than political motivated.

You can stand by your opinion, it might even be right but that does not mean no crime has been committed. (though I don't know the ins and outs so on this case I wont comment too much) But other cases like the forced loans I am sure a crime has been committed. 

• Like 1

Yada, Yada, Yada and the beat goes on and on and on.  Thaksin must laugh himself to tears each and every time the current Thai government pulls one of these stunts against him.  The man is a lot smarter than these bozos and he knows it's nothing more a publicity stunt to make the Government look like they can bring him to justice.  Thaksin and Yingluck are enjoying a life of ease, luxury all with the knowledge that they are untouchable.

3 hours ago, idman said:

Yada, Yada, Yada and the beat goes on and on and on.  Thaksin must laugh himself to tears each and every time the current Thai government pulls one of these stunts against him.  The man is a lot smarter than these bozos and he knows it's nothing more a publicity stunt to make the Government look like they can bring him to justice.  Thaksin and Yingluck are enjoying a life of ease, luxury all with the knowledge that they are untouchable.

Thaksin laughed so hard about being unable to return to Thailand a few years ago that he announced that he had cancer. He carried on about how he would like to die in his homeland. Yada Yada is right, he committed the crimes, escaped punishment and he still can't leave it alone. Doesn't sound like a guy that is enjoying his life to me, but hey I could be wrong.

19 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Is he a Robin Hood sort of figure ?

No, not at all, his objective was to enrich himself and his family and his needed cronies, not the poor. The poor were just part of the enablers that ultimately feathered his nest, nothing more. 

9 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

Thaksin laughed so hard about being unable to return to Thailand a few years ago that he announced that he had cancer. He carried on about how he would like to die in his homeland. Yada Yada is right, he committed the crimes, escaped punishment and he still can't leave it alone. Doesn't sound like a guy that is enjoying his life to me, but hey I could be wrong.

hours ago, idman said:

"The man is a lot smarter than these bozos..." 

Actually it's been said many time and going back many years that the brains was his since divorced wife.