Prayut: remaining as PM would depend on offer

webfact

And why would the Thai people choose such utter incompetence, such modest intelligence, such an extraordinary lack of vision, such a lack of progressive thought, and such a greedy and corrupt man child? If given a choice, is the key word here.

This charlatan is completely lost. He has no idea who he is, what he represents, nor does he ever even consider his people, in any decision he makes. It is all about Planet Little P. Always has been, and always will be. A man of such small stature, on every level. Except for his ego. In that regard, and in many other regards, he is much like Trump.

Little P. Moving Thailand backwards at a breath taking, alarming and astonishing pace, and not making Thailand great again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ossy,

I dislike the PM he is a fine example of arrogance and fails to listen to anyone.. exactly what I hate in Thai politicians. The moment they get to power they think they have to listen to nobody and everyone should accept their B.S no matter how unbelievable (think Prawit and his watches) Think YL and her.. there is no corruption in the rice program (while proven in court 33 billion of fake g2f deals). 

I hate the arrogance that is displayed.. like hey im now in power and im untouchable and you should all believe whatever i say. 

To add to that Prayut is the worst ever in managing the media. 

• Like 2

The constitution is so rigged that Prayut actually stand a very good chance to be an outside PM. The constitutional inclusion of appointed senators for selection of PM is purposeful to favour him. The senator appointments is done via a selection board stacked full of generals and establishment aligned professionals.

The MMA election system will ensure that the lower house has a hang parliament that will create an impasse to select a PM. Upper house will be called in to break that impasse and low and behold, in step Prayut. If all that fails, there is still Article 44 which is in the constitution that will put an end to any resistance.  

The caveat is will the people accept that silent coup and will make their voices heard loudly. That will create a civil war that this coup claimed to prevent. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And why would the Thai people choose such utter incompetence, such modest intelligence, such an extraordinary lack of vision, such a lack of progressive thought, and such a greedy and corrupt man child? If given a choice, is the key word here.

This charlatan is completely lost. He has no idea who he is, what he represents, nor does he ever even consider his people, in any decision he makes. It is all about Planet Little P. Always has been, and always will be. A man of such small stature, on every level. Except for his ego. In that regard, and in many other regards, he is much like Trump.

Little P. Moving Thailand backwards at a breath taking, alarming and astonishing pace, and not making Thailand great again. 

Why they would choose him.. how about his popular policies that he is rolling out.. its the way how Thaksin got to power. Stuff like that works here in Thailand. We will see how good it works in the next election. (whenever that will be)

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Did you actually read my post.. the part where I said I hope he fails. 

I don't want him to be the next PM... but i questioned that if he has enough votes (and I don't mean minority PM but really a lot in his coalition so its the biggest. Should we then respect it or not ? If he brokers deals with PTP guys to break off and with others.. and the people really vote for him.. what then ?

Yes, of course I read the 'I really hope he fails, but if he gets enough votes should we accept it then ?' part of your post. Taking it as a rhetorical question, my reply was in a similar vein. Should your question be serious, i.e. should there be no clear alternative to accepting 'him' as next PM, there would, given that 'between a rock and a hard place' situation, seem to be little choice other than to accept. What sort of answer did you really expect … a simple 'yes' or 'no'? . . . fair doos, Mr R.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ossy said:

Yes, of course I read the 'I really hope he fails, but if he gets enough votes should we accept it then ?' part of your post. Taking it as a rhetorical question, my reply was in a similar vein. Should your question be serious, i.e. should there be no clear alternative to accepting 'him' as next PM, there would, given that 'between a rock and a hard place' situation, seem to be little choice other than to accept. What sort of answer did you really expect … a simple 'yes' or 'no'? . . . fair doos, Mr R.

The question was not rhetorical, remember i supported a coup so I am not always one to follow all the rules. 

Anyway your right if he gets the votes he has the support then we can't do much. But if he tries to become a minority PM like Eric said then maybe protests are the way to go as then he does not have the support. 

I certainly don't want to see him again. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

Why they would choose him.. how about his popular policies that he is rolling out.. its the way how Thaksin got to power. Stuff like that works here in Thailand. We will see how good it works in the next election. (whenever that will be)

Can you please share with us, what the nature of those policies are? We would love to know. So far, all I have heard is rhetoric and hyperbole. I have not seen any constructive policies.

Regardless of how you feel about Thaksin, we must never forget, he was the first leader in the nations history, to ever do anything to benefit the common people. Universal health care for the Thai people was a stunning achievement. It exists to this day, which is testament to the popularity of that idea. Little P. in his wildest dreams, could never consider anything that would be as helpful to the normal people, who he very obviously despises. He is a typical politician, though he claims to be different. He is responsible for protecting the elite, the super wealthy, the powerful, those that are connected, and those in power in the administration, the police, and the army. That is all he does day and night. Other than collect cash. Billions. Nothing else. 

• Like 1

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Can you please share with us, what the nature of those policies are? We would love to know. So far, all I have heard is rhetoric and hyperbole. I have not seen any constructive policies.

Regardless of how you feel about Thaksin, we must never forget, he was the first leader in the nations history, to ever do anything to benefit the common people. Universal health care for the Thai people was a stunning achievement. It exists to this day, which is testament to the popularity of that idea. Little P. in his wildest dreams, could never consider anything that would be as helpful to the normal people, who he very obviously despises. He is a typical politician, though he claims to be different. He is responsible for protecting the elite, the super wealthy, the powerful, those that are connected, and those in power in the administration, the police, and the army. That is all he does day and night. Other than collect cash. Billions. Nothing else. 

Just look at the money being pumped in the north and other parts under guise of the Thai Niyom. Loans for the villages money for the village heads to convince how great Prayut is. (i am against popular policies.. hated the Thaksin ones and these too)

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

That is all he does day and night. Other than collect cash. Billions. Nothing else. 

A cracking post, Mike. It seems we - plus at least 51% of posters - share a 'dangerous' despising of big-little man. I just hope that, somehow, the 'feeling' from forums like this might percolate out on the streets, where the real electorate may be listening-out for sensible guidance as opposed to the 'good governance from me' crap that he puts out on Friday nights. The Mrs and I are just glad we don't have a telly!

@spidermike and robblok.

I think you are on an unrealistic debate. The PM never expected to be elected by the "Thai people". He only expects to be elected as "outsider " or stay in power with article 44 as mentioned by Eric. The Thai people will never get the opportunity to choose or exclude him.

His only aim is to get enough votes for small parties backing him, so that he can block the normal process with the help of the appointed senate.

Step one: prevent any majority at the lower house (easy)

Step two: get the Senate and parliament to call for outsider PM vote. It is less easy to get the required 2/3 majority. If it fails, there is a constitutional deadlock. He can then use article 44 or the constitutional court will nominate him for 5 years.

Step three: get elected by the two chambers as outsider. It can only work if the Dems vote for him (they never said they would not do it). If he cannot get a majority, it can at least block the process thanks to the Senate and small parties. Then there is another constitutional deadlock. He can then use article 44 to stay in power or be appointed by the constitutional court.

Edited by candide
  • Like 2

First of all: OFFER???

Secondly: “But I have warned you, you have to vote for a government with good governance,” Prayut said. 

I am living here for 10 years and I have been coming here as a tourist/ on business for another 10.

Almost not a day, without a "surprise" and many, that just disgust me!

:bah:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

I haven’t been contacted by anyone

I hope nobody will do it in future. A soldier is a soldier and not a leader of a country. To become a leader you need more qualification than collecting watches or shooting and killing or ban freedom of speech, or democracy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, candide said:

@spidermike and robblok.

I think you are on an unrealistic debate. The PM never expected to be elected by the "Thai people". He only expects to be elected as "outsider " or stay in power with article 44 as mentioned by Eric. The Thai people will never get the opportunity to choose or exclude him.

His only aim is to get enough votes for small parties backing him, so that he can block the normal process with the help of the appointed senate.

Step one: prevent any majority at the lower house (easy)

Step two: get the Senate and parliament to call for outsider PM vote. It is less easy to get the required 2/3 majority. If it fails, there is a constitutional deadlock. He can then use article 44 or the constitutional court will nominate him for 5 years.

Step three: get elected by the two chambers as outsider. It can only work if the Dems vote for him (they never said they would not do it). If he cannot get a majority, it can at least block the process thanks to the Senate and small parties. Then there is another constitutional deadlock. He can then use article 44 to stay in power or be appointed by the constitutional court.

Tres bien Monsieur! As always!

But, I think you need to take your analysis a step further.

I see three general outcomes;

1. The Thai people accept the nonsense that he somehow has 'earned' power and carry on. However, he is not competent nor does he have the temperament for leadership in a civilian arena.
  2. The Thai people do not accept that he should remain in power and take to the streets. What would happen? I simply do not know, but the numbers 1-9-9-2 seem somewhat familiar.
  3. The Thai people do not accept that he should be in power, but the military oppresses enough to stay. The short answer to that is Burma, next door.

I truly hope that we do not see any of the above possibilities as they usually involve violence and people getting hurt. If you are a praying man, pray that the parties get together and keep him out of the PM's chair.

Edited by Samui Bodoh
Lack of coffee
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, candide said:

The PM never expected to be elected by the "Thai people".   He only expects to be elected as "outsider "

Good post, C, but I must ask you to pardon my ignorance of current constitutional make-up and mechanisms and to advise me who, if push comes to shove, will do the electing of an "outsider" PM? Would 'they' be likely to be one-sided, i.e. unfairly biassed, or, on the other side of the coin, truly representative of Thai people? I really must get a copy of this-here constitution . . . anyone know where from?

2 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Good post, C, but I must ask you to pardon my ignorance of current constitutional make-up and mechanisms and to advise me who, if push comes to shove, will do the electing of an "outsider" PM? Would 'they' be likely to be one-sided, i.e. unfairly biassed, or, on the other side of the coin, truly representative of Thai people? I really must get a copy of this-here constitution . . . anyone know where from?

As far as I understand, the Senate and lower chamber will vote together. Practically it means he cannot be chosen if the Dems don't vote for him (I exclude the case of PT P voting for him ;)), which can probably be solved by enough palm greasing and granting ministry positions.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Tres bien Monsieur! as always!

But, I think you need to tale your analysis a step further.

I see three general outcomes;

1. The Thai people accept the nonsense that he somehow has 'earned' power and carry on.
  2. The Thai people do not accept that he should remain in power and take to the streets. What would happen? I simply do not know, but the numbers 1-9-9-2 seem somewhat familiar.
  3. The Thai people do not accept that he should be in power, but the military oppresses enough to stay. The short answer to that is Burma, next door.

I truly hope that we do not see any of the above possibilities as they usually involve violence and people getting hurt. If you are a praying man, pray that the parties get together and keep him out of the PM's chair.

You are right. To be frank, I am completely unable to predict how Thai people would react.

It may also be that, in cases 2 and 3, a sub-scenario emerges, about which we cannot talk.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Of course it depends on the offer, but I bet he he is quite busy trying to arrange support so such an offer is good for him. I really hope he fails, but if he gets enough votes should we accept it then ? 

Ooh yeah. He is nothing if not a man of honour, courage and integrity, and he isn't a man of honour, courage and integrity. Him without Article 44 having to justify his existence before a parliament and a free(er) press would be the ruin of him and his entourage...

Edited by baboon
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I would think there is enough money in the treasury that he controls.  maybe not

If not he can always have the Treasury borrow the funds, ie., by selling more T-Bills or getting loans from China or Japan.

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Why does he spout this nonsense? Does anyone (ANYONE!!!) believe it?

Of course he wants to be PM; it is the only way that history MIGHT be kind to him as at the moment he is simply a coup-leader thug. But, there is real doubt that he can become PM legitimately as the numbers don't seem to be there.

In order to have any legitimacy, the election(s) have to be both fair and seen to be fair, and that is very much in question already, one year in advance (or perhaps longer). If that threshold isn't met, he will go down in the history books as a strongman who was (eventually) tossed out by the Thai people, nothing more. 

And that thought kills him.

The cold, hard truth for future Thai leaders is that they will be compared to both Thaksin and Yingluck for a long time to come as they set the standard of being chosen in a relatively free and fair election by the Thai people. Any leader, Prayut included, will be judged by that standard and if they cannot be seen to be chosen in a relatively free and fair election by the Thai people, they will be seen as... less.

That thought kills him, I am certain. But, there it is.

In future historical assessments of Thailand and it's leaders I really don't think Yingluck will be considered a benchmark. She will simply be grouped with the other puppets her brother put in place and then ruled through. 

Thaksin will both for any achievements and the amount of corruption.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Exactly if he knew what he was doing and believed in it, he would not have needed to cloak himself in a blanket amnesty, that he knew he would probably need one day to cover his ar..se, and don't even talk about art.44, seems to be a very fragile politician, as he terms himself lately!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coulson said:

I don't get this repeated threat. A vote is unconditional.

Except it's not.

Prayut has the constitutional right to invoke Article 44 to dissolve the entire newly elected Parliament House of Representatives before it's endorsed if he chooses. So potentially he can indirectly control the outcome of any coalition PM nomination. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Why does he spout this nonsense? Does anyone (ANYONE!!!) believe it?

Of course he wants to be PM; it is the only way that history MIGHT be kind to him as at the moment he is simply a coup-leader thug. But, there is real doubt that he can become PM legitimately as the numbers don't seem to be there.

In order to have any legitimacy, the election(s) have to be both fair and seen to be fair, and that is very much in question already, one year in advance (or perhaps longer). If that threshold isn't met, he will go down in the history books as a strongman who was (eventually) tossed out by the Thai people, nothing more. 

And that thought kills him.

The cold, hard truth for future Thai leaders is that they will be compared to both Thaksin and Yingluck for a long time to come as they set the standard of being chosen in a relatively free and fair election by the Thai people. Any leader, Prayut included, will be judged by that standard and if they cannot be seen to be chosen in a relatively free and fair election by the Thai people, they will be seen as... less.

That thought kills him, I am certain. But, there it is.

Very insightful, and I suspect very correct as well. Of course he may be weighing the chances of winning an election versus just firming up his grip on power and telling the Thai people to eat cake, no election, until they forcefully remove him. If he thinks he can make that stick long enough to clean up his image well enough to actually garner enough support to win an election. His effort to appear to let popularity rule his decision is less than believable.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, baboon said:

Ooh yeah. He is nothing if not a man of honour, courage and integrity, and he isn't a man of honour, courage and integrity. Him without Article 44 having to justify his existence before a parliament and a free(er) press would be the ruin of him and his entourage...

Maybe.. but I am not sure if the fun of him watching him struggle without article 44 is worth having him in power.