Buriram: So unnecessary as Year 10 student dies on his way to school

webfact

Yeah I'd say the % of people doing this same manoeuvre where I live is closer to 100.  They just don't stop and look, you are expected to go around them.  

I suspect the moron that caused this will blame the poor kid who was killed for running into him.

Edited by akirasan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ugothai said:

They must charge the family that give motobike th a 10 yo !!!!!

READ the story. He is a 'year 10 student'. He is in year 10. That means he is aged 14 - 15 years old.

Edited by robsamui
editing

57 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

These total idiots  always  pull out of side  roads   thinking its  perfectly OK to do this, many without even a glance if its safe or  not, just unfortunate this  time that the victim wasnt the one causing the accident.

The other favourite by me where they have NO IDEA is at  at  a  T junction and they cannot get on the right side of the road, If  I pull up to the "T" to turn right  and they are on that main road they always want to undercut  me on the wrong  side of the road, Like this , theyll even wait until youve  pulled out to do it  , but if theres  enough room theyll go  full under you. CLUELESS  or  BONE  IDLE, I can't decide

twats.jpg

No - it's simply that all Thai drivers have the road sense of a young child. - ie zero. It is an unthinking instinct to take the nearest line to the direction you want to go - and of course there is no national training scheme or road test for drivers.

I always know when there is a Thai driver in front of me because on left hand bends they are over in the gutter and on right hand bends they're trying to straddle the middle of the road.

(Which actually works in my favour, as I can always safely overtake them as they go into a LH bend, because I know they're instinctively going to move right over to the left.)  :-)

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

These total idiots  always  pull out of side  roads   thinking its  perfectly OK to do this, many without even a glance if its safe or  not, just unfortunate this  time that the victim wasnt the one causing the accident.

The other favourite by me where they have NO IDEA is at  at  a  T junction and they cannot get on the right side of the road, If  I pull up to the "T" to turn right  and they are on that main road they always want to undercut  me on the wrong  side of the road, Like this , theyll even wait until youve  pulled out to do it  , but if theres  enough room theyll go  full under you. CLUELESS  or  BONE  IDLE, I can't decide

twats.jpg

What exactly is your problem with this that makes you think they might be clueless?

There is no traffic for the blue car/vehicle to negotiate or worry about, other than the red car.  With that in mind, the blue car/vehicle only has to get past the red car.

To cut across the red car, especially if the red car is indicating/turning right (as the position of the red car on the diagram suggests), makes complete and total sense.

I can only assume you take an issue with this as it is the opposite of what you were taught in whatever western country you came from.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:
11 minutes ago, Get Real said:
Indicating no need for stop? I know that we are at the cellar floor regarding logical thinking and behaviour, but do you really need something indicating common sense?

I don't no but I'm not Thai.

Indeed.................... but you missed the solid white line just before the junction   :smile:....................... I will wager 20 Baht that there MAY also have been red stop sign before that...

• Confused 1

Indeed.................... but you missed the solid white line just before the junction   [emoji2]....................... I will wager 20 Baht that there MAY also have been red stop sign before that...
When I saw the video I saw the white line, just couldnt edit for some reason, my bad
Probably did have signs just don't care do they.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

What exactly is your problem with this that makes you think they might be clueless?

There is no traffic for the blue car/vehicle to negotiate or worry about, other than the red car.  With that in mind, the blue car/vehicle only has to get past the red car.

To cut across the red car, especially if the red car is indicating/turning right (as the position of the red car on the diagram suggests), makes complete and total sense.

I can only assume you take an issue with this as it is the opposite of what you were taught in whatever western country you came from.

I Thought the Thais were a bit dim at driving but I see they don't have the monopoly, many a time ive been turning LEFT ( red  car) and they have almost driven into me for the cutting the junction off. Even better if  they are on their bike and want to go right theyll use the right hand  side of the road so as you come into that junction BAM , hit em head on, but its ok for you and the 20000+ corpses each year so please "carry  on"

twats.jpg

Slide8.JPG

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Indeed.................... but you missed the solid white line just before the junction   :smile:....................... I will wager 20 Baht that there MAY also have been red stop sign before that...

20 Baht !   Calm down scattercash, most of the stop signs around our way have long been ripped down and thrown in Klongs and solid white lines either never existed or have been worn away many Moons ago.   Anyway; as far as Thai's are concerned rules don't exist or are not for them, only other people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Overtaking on the left is not illegal on that road.

Perhaps it should be .....

Overtaking on the left should not be necessary if all motorists kept in the left lane except when overtaking.  Sadly far too many hog the outside lane forcing motorists to either undertake (allowed by law) or overtaking on the hatched yellow liness as was very clear in the vdo

Strict law enforcement, massive fines for lawbreakers and vehicle confiscation would soon  prevent many of these tragic accidents

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

I Thought the Thais were a bit dim at driving but I see they don't have the monopoly, many a time ive been turning LEFT ( red  car) and they have almost driven into me for the cutting the junction off. Even better if  they are on their bike and want to go right theyll use the right hand  side of the road so as you come into that junction BAM , hit em head on, but its ok for you and the 20000+ corpses each year so please "carry  on"

I suspect there are far more accidents caused by doing it your way, than there are by doing it the Thai way.  Turning left before the car, when the car is turning right, makes sense and can only be safer.  As I stated in my original post, this only applies when there are no other vehicles to negotiate i.e. when you can see that the road ahead is clear and unobstructed, and also when the vehicle emerging is turning right.  If turning left, I agree, probably best to turn in on the 'correct' side of the road.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And don't forget that whatever incredibly dangerous maneuver they do here if  you do it really  REALLY slowly (Think U turn pull out into fast  moving traffic) it makes it perfectly safe when in fact if they speeded up when they did it most hits would be misses.

3 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I suspect there are far more accidents caused by doing it your way, than there are by doing it the Thai way.  Turning left before the car, when the car is turning right, makes sense and can only be safer.  As I stated in my original post, this only applies when there are no other vehicles to negotiate i.e. when you can see that the road ahead is clear and unobstructed, and also when the vehicle emerging is turning right.  If turning left, I agree, probably best to turn in on the 'correct' side of the road.

Do you really think they look THAT far ahead?

5 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Side soi boy didn't look,  schoolkid no helmet, schoolkid undertaking on the left side, so much wrong, so easily avoided. RIP.

Regarding the undertaking, that is the law here.

1 minute ago, gunderhill said:

Do you really think they look THAT far ahead?

I think Thais not paying attention to the road in front of them is one of these well-populated Thaivisa myths that might hold some water but probably not to the extent that posters imply.

• Like 1

No sympathy for the student nor for the killer.

Neither clearly gives a toss about rules and regulations and there is a good chance either of them would try to bribe the cop when caught breaking traffic rules.

They got the dangerous roads they deserve, and one paid for it with his life. The other one hopefully pays for it with a couple of years in jail.

Tired of feeling sorry for these things; they got the government/country/traffic they deserve. Som nam naa.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

20 Baht !   Calm down scattercash, most of the stop signs around our way have long been ripped down and thrown in Klongs and solid white lines either never existed or have been worn away many Moons ago.   Anyway; as far as Thai's are concerned rules don't exist or are not for them, only other people.

Indeed........ you can’t fix stupid...... still better to have lines/signs (and cctv) as it helps to establish liability.

Maybe not surprisingly, the blue helmet tw4t has been quoted on Thai social media saying that was the schoolboys fault !

Hardly full of remorse (it wasn’t me guv..) ..... and he clearly hadn’t seen the video...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd charge the motorbike guy with causing death by dangerous driving  ! 

Yep agreed , not only that but that guy should be given a life ban from operating any vehicle on the road and his wages should be garnished and given to the family of the dead boy for at least 10 years! That’ll learn him!!!

• Confused 1

Tragic,

The guy coming out of side road clearly didn’t look if it was safe to go, but if you forward to 1:17 you also see the women coming out of the side road didn’t look. This is a major issue and what you see daily on the roads.

• Like 1

And by the way, I can't ever recall a car trying to turn inside a car at a junction, I only see motorbikes doing this.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen with cars, but it doesn't happen to any extent that warrants a rant complete with diagram on the internet.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Didn´t miss anything. Just stated that I do not need signs or indications for the use of common sense. Hope you got it this time. :smile:

• Haha 1