Top 5 Reasons You Won’t Like Thailand

webfact

The spoken and written language is hard for me to get correct.  

The police can be a disappointment but certainly not all of them.  

Knowing someone of influence means more than it should.  

Love to drive and driving around motorbikes makes me more cautious. 

Not a a fan of trash on the roadways. 

Many many more things I truly enjoy about Thailand and that is why I live here. 

• Thanks 2

How about starting a topic,,,,,,,,,,,,,

5 main reasons I moved here & stay here because of what I did not like about where I was.

Many of the replies on here are very disrespectful  of our adopted country & it's generally 

very polite & fun loving (sanuk) people

• Like 2

Just now, natway09 said:

How about starting a topic,,,,,,,,,,,,,

5 main reasons I moved here & stay here because of what I did not like about where I was.

Many of the replies on here are very disrespectful  of our adopted country & it's generally 

very polite & fun loving (sanuk) people

Look

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

being treated by a doctor that’s gone through a “no fail” education system

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Absolutely. Some seem to qualify by buying a white coat. A friend had a heart attack and was told by the hospital that he had indigestion. Fortunately he had someone with him who took him to a different hospital which saved his life. I was diagnosed with bronchitis when in fact I had severe food poisoning. Again, it was only when I was taken to another hospital that I received proper treatment and told I would have been dead in two days.

I love it here... my quality of life is much better here than back home. I also find the average Thai person much nicer than people back home... despite what some posters have said.  

However, 5 things that annoy me are:

1.  Base Speakers Music Noise.

Can't escape the noise, sometimes from 5.30 (from one or other local temple) till gone midnight (from endless birthdays, funerals, parties), even if not too loud its still really irritating because it's just so rare to get some real quiet for a few hours. (and I don't even live in the city).

2.  Corruption

From police, immigration, government officials, money under the table kind of stuff, (even the 'charge the farang more' thing) etc.  

3.  Bitter, Weird, Dirty, Rude, Social misfit, Missionary, or Snobby Expats. 

Enough said.

4.  Visas and immigration stuff.

I have developed almost a phobia about immigration after a couple of bad experiences. .  Silly really, but I now hate going there and use an agency instead.  I wish they would modernise the system to get rid of the repetition of forms and the need to go there in the dark before the place even opens in the hope of getting a number!!!!

5.  Dogs (or rather owners or people who don't care about them)

If they are quiet and leave me alone I don't mind them.   The night time barking, howling, ripping open bin bags, fighting and road accidents are all completely avoidable if authorities cleared up the problem.  The animal cruelty laws should be enforced to stop people keeping pet dogs locked in cages or backyards all their lives.

That's about it.

3 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Too many attractive and available woman - makes it hard to stick to just the one wife or girlfriend.

You're going to complain about that? I'd suggest a short holiday back where you came from, to re-acquaint yourself with hips like barn doors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We all know how corrupt the Thai police are and also other establishments, you are never going to beat them so I would say join them and make the corruption work for you

When I lived in the UK I just followed the example of the rich MPs and looked after myself, if you know what I mean, but one thing I was very strict about, and that applies in the same way here in Thailand as it did back in the UK. Never do anything detrimental to ordinary people like yourself.

• Like 1

I don't bitch too much about life here, because it's good. However, I do have two pet hates.

The Thai concept of loud being better with cars, motorbikes and all forms of music. My eardrums can't take it.

The selfish <deleted> in large SUV's and pickups who come up in the scooter lane, then shove their way back into traffic that has been waiting for a green light. I sometimes wish I was in an APC so I could teach them some road manners the hard way.

8 hours ago, mok199 said:

thais lack of genuine respect for their own country..

Respect has got to be earned, always start by respecting everybody, the people who are running the country you are living in, the people you meet and work with, your bosses, but if any of them start disrespecting you, and treating you badly, then you do the same back. there is always a way.

In saying that, I don't think any of us can say whether in general, the Thais respect their country or not, you can speak  about what your Thai wife, Thai family, and Thai friends say, but not in general.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thian said:

1- the selfishness/lazyness and bad manners of the people.

2- the no pricing of goods

3- dangerous traffic

4- low standards/quality/servicelevels 

5 lack of speaking english

I agree only with numbers two and three. No 1. Thai people in general are decent and honest. No 4. I have been reasonably happy with these things. No 5,  This is their country, you cannot expect them all to learn English. 

For me the lack of awareness and just throwing plastic and cans anywhere. Very similar in Mongolia. In Phuket Thais come to the beach for a picnic and just leave everything right there on the rocks. Mainly because of no education in this area.

Also nobody seems to have taught anybody here that you do a job to the best of your ability, not just a schlocky quick fix. But this is a problem in many countries.

And obviously the traffic.....in Phuket it is horrible, but you get off the island and it is pretty nice.

For me only three things.......but I still love this country and the people.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, poanoi said:

No.1 visa run hassle, if i could go back in time, i wouldnt have been arsed with asia,

i would have been living in caribbean.

No.2 corruption.

No.3 traffic jam in pattaya is tedious

People who complain about Thai corruption are being hypocrites, These are the same people who probably take part in the corruption themselves when it suits them. I think you all know what I mean.

9 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

>>>  lots of noise, lots of barking dogs

>>>  crappy, mega-selfish drivers

>>>  trash nearly everywhere

>>>  giant chasm between rich and poor

>>>  justice system which pampers rich and scapegoats poor 

A lot of what you say is true, but it also applies to most other countries.

Oops two more......those bloody loudspeakers wired into the temples. Playing loud music at 5:30 am while it is still dark.....do they actually think people enjoy this crap? And any place with speakers playing music.....they always have it so loud it is distorted and painful on the ears.

And number 5 are those bloody <deleted> in their huge SUV's who come up to the U turn and cannot wait in line like most everybody else, so they pull alongside the front car completely blocking his view, just so he can get somewhere five minutes sooner.......where is my RPG launcher when I need it? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whiteman said:

heat

Humidity

Mad drivers

Trotty botty you get from unclean foods in all kinds of restaurants.

not been able to own ones house except for a 30 year lease 

Nos 3 and 5. 100% correct.

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

People who complain about Thai corruption are being hypocrites, These are the same people who probably take part in the corruption themselves when it suits them. I think you all know what I mean.

They complain how bad the country is then attack others for leaving.

No hypocrisy on here.

2 hours ago, Sadanava said:

Really, are we going there? I hope you never get into an accident, people like my wife save many lives every day on the operating table, and yes she is a government official. please do not tar with the same brush!

Immigration people definitely. but in saying that, we all have different experiences.

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

i dont feel like driving in thailand any more due to corruption,

and if it wasnt too painful to travel far, i would leave asia for good

I can live with most things in Thailand, but the main issue that prevents me making it my permanent home is the total inconsistency regarding the attitude to rules and the law.

It seems that the interpretation of the law and regulations is totally up to the person you are dealing with and a government that passes a law ten years ago but only decides to enforce it now.

Go to one province and you have to register your stay, carry your passport etc go somewhere else and it’s a different set of rules.Go to one branch of a bank to do something,”cannot” go to another branch of the same bank,”no problem”.

Immigration here want this piece of paper ,next month it is a different one, go to another office, they want a whole different set of papers.

Traffic rules,today they are enforced tomorrow they are not, again travel around the country and they change from place to place

I have no problem in the Thai laws and regulations,it is their country and wherever I live I try to be law abiding.

But there is no straight forward answer to “what is the law regarding this” or what are the rules for that”, it changes from day to day and where you are.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, userabcd said:

In my dealings with immigration and the police, I have always found them to be helpful, courteous and efficient.

Of course, when there are brown envelopes involved, and that applies to both of them.

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

Bashing Thailand is his job. Like some on here.

The fairest posters on Thai visa are the ones who see it from both sides, and as I always say, the good outweighs the bad here.