Junta keeps an eye on young political movement

snoop1130

Junta keeps an eye on young political movement

By The Nation

61a949ddb28da1204aaa697c44648c01.jpeg

Thanathorn.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said on Wednesday that the junta is keeping any eye on moves made by “a young generation” group posed to emerge as the third option in Thai politics.

The Election Commission late last week opened for the pre-registration of new political parties, with more than 40 groups having applied to set up political parties to contest the next general election.

One of the most talked-about aspiring new parties is one reportedly to be co-founded and supported by wealthy young businessman Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, executive vice president of Thai Summit Group, the auto-parts manufacturing giant owned by his family.

The group has yet to register a new party with the EC, but it has been seen to be active on social media.

Wissanu said if a line were crossed, warnings would be sent out against ongoing social media moves deemed to be part of political campaigns by the group. Invitations for “talks” would follow if they committed any act beyond such social media activities, the government’s legal adviser added.

On Monday, Thanathorn gave another interview on Facebook Live, discussing the young generation and the future of politics.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30340417

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-3-7

7 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Do not misjudged these old codgers. They are battlefield heroes and the new breed. They might look like fools but don't be deceived. They are as cunning as Khlong Toey rats. Especially when it comes to not having an election.

imageproxy (2).jpg

Prayut 4.jpg

I think that was a typo. You hit the C key instead of the T key by mistake.

Easily done.

Thanathorn’s popularity attracts scrutiny of junta after new party proposed

By WASAMON AUDJARINT 
THE NATION 

a5e8f8cc426b1876076a06e8054b873f.jpeg

AMID THE skyrocketing popularity of the young billionaire Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, notably expressed on social media after he announced his intention to set up a political party, the ruling junta plans to keep an eye on him and the “young generation” emerging as a third option in politics.

“I don’t want to analyse this, but I think the National Council for Peace and Order [NCPO] should keep its eye on it,” said Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam yesterday, adding that most political activities remained restricted. 

“If lines are crossed, warnings will be made. If things go beyond that, we would have to ‘invite’ them to suspend [their activities],” he said.

His remarks came as Thanathorn’s name has attracted a robust online following his pledge to set up a political party with progressive law lecturer Piyabutr Saengkanokkul.

Despite not yet having a concrete plan about the party’s establishment, Thanathorn’s talk with The101.world on Facebook Live on Monday drew more than 100,000 viewers during the two-hour interview.

As part of the interview, Thanathorn said he had not concluded on a party name but it would certainly include the terms “country”, “Thai” or “democracy”. 

The hashtag #helpThanathorn-namehisparty has since become a top Twitter trend.

Tweets with the hashtag range from serious and playful name suggestions to pitches of products for sale, and even messages from foreign Twitter users who have no idea who Thanathorn is. 

However, people with related ideas have expressed hopes for new faces in politics.

“We should allow the younger generation to administer [the country]. We don’t know whether they are good or bad, but it’s worth a try. Those ‘uncles’ should take a rest,” said Twitter user @JAMPS14

While the junta still has a ban in place against political gatherings of five or more people, prospective politicians have in effect expressed their stances since the Election Commission began to accept new party pre-registrations last week.

Many parties have also come forward with clear agendas to support Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha continuing in office after the election as an outsider premier following the 2017 charter’s mechanism.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30340439

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-08

Y you might want to keep both eyes on this, not just one...you are an old relic from the past..its time to put you big boy pants on and fade away into the sunset '',showmanship..leaving on a high note''..

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“We should allow the younger generation to administer [the country]. We don’t know whether they are good or bad, but it’s worth a try. Those ‘uncles’ should take a rest,” said Twitter user @JAMPS14

well put, i can't vote, but if i could, i'd go with the younger group, starting with the group with the guy primarily pictured

It is pretty obvious that the junta wishes to remain for nobody's benefit but their own.   The trouble is they cannot help themselves from sounding Orwellian most of the time.  Sending the military into the country side to solve problems, watching young people participating in government all show a lack of tact and good governance . 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JOC said:

Except this "change" doesn't provide anything new...

A wealthy young businessman, from a stinking rich and powerful family is hardly going to advocate social justice or economic equality.....

Just the next generation 'Amart' ready to make sure that nothing changes...

Anyone who gets these old dinosaurs so worried is okay in my book. Nothing can be worse than what's in charge now. 

• Like 1

A post referring to the Thai government as a dictatorship has been removed from this thread.

From the pinned topic in the Thailand News Forum:

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed. Any posts which can be construed as rumor mongering are not allowed.

Posters violating these rules and the forum rules will receive a warning, a possible suspension of posting privileges or a ban from the site.

14 hours ago, JOC said:

A wealthy young businessman, from a stinking rich and powerful family is hardly going to advocate social justice or economic equality.....

If this new party is the same as the old party, why would the Junta be wary of them.

With modern thinking comes modern ideas.

The elite, right to the very top, will be aghast and petrified that this party turns into a movement, which turns into a juggernaut, which turns into a future government, which would turn the last 50-60 years post WW II on it's head.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JOC said:

This is exactly what I thought, JOC, when I first heard of this young man and his political movement. I am very suspicious of  multi-millionaires who claim to be working for the poor and underprivileged. I always remember many decades ago being very suspicious of Jimmy Savile, the lauded 'charity saint' of England - who made sure that he became a millionaire in the process (and we all know the truth about him now, don't we?!). You usually don't get to be (and remain) a multi-millionaire or multi-billionaire except by being pretty ruthless, if not downright sociopathic (yes, I know all the Thaksin haters will chime in here - and probably with good cause). So, I have my reservations about this guy.

HOWEVER -

things are so utterly appalling and oppressive under the present dinosaurian regime that this infusion of even somewhat more liberal and fair-minded ideas into the body politic has to be welcome. On the other hand, this could be a ruse to divide up (and thus weaken) mass opposition to junta rule. I remain cautiously sceptical, but hopeful ...

Edited by Eligius

18 hours ago, JOC said:

Perhaps so; then again perhaps being "stinking rich" means that he doesn't have to bother about personal enrichment, and as a young man he may actually be interested in liberalising and democratising his country!

Now that would be a turn up for the books, should frighten the living daylights out of the "geriontocracy" He certainly seems to be causing concern...

4 minutes ago, JAG said:

Perhaps so; then again perhaps being "stinking rich" means that he doesn't have to bother about personal enrichment, and as a young man he may actually be interested in liberalising and democratising his country!

Now that would be a turn up for the books, should frighten the living daylights out of the "geriontocracy" He certainly seems to be causing concern...

I don't want to cause any nightmares, but...

The above was the argument of Donald Trump.

Be careful what you wish for...

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 8:09 AM, rkidlad said:

Keep an eye on them all you want, old boys. Times are achanging. You either adapt or die.

No one wants fusty old men with fusty old ideas at the helm. 

The young guns have not felt the heavy arms that reach out to squash them yet. But the arms will come. Will the young guns have the strength and fortitude to rally and garner support from the other parts of society that stand to gain by new, and hopefully better, leadership? Let's hope so because the same old routine is costing middle and lower class, the majority of Thais, much more than just their financial well being.

• Like 2

Students have less to lose (in terms of what will embarrass them in public, previously acquired wealth, conflicts caused by previous political loyalties) and are tenacious. This could get interesting

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, JOC said:

My first reaction as well, but what if? What if he wants to make positive choices? What if he is too rich to be threatened or bought off. What if he has like minded, savvy political and scholarly guidance and is willing to listen? There may be hope.