Russian tourist struck and killed crossing Pattaya road

webfact

Russian tourist struck and killed crossing Pattaya road

By The Nation

A Russian tourist was killed when he was struck by a motorcycle while crossing a Pattaya road on Thursday morning.

Pol Capt Phakkapol Taninyanathorn, deputy inspector at Na Jomtien police station, said the accident occurred at 7.45am on Pattaya-Satahip Road in front of the Ambassador City Jomtien Hotel.

The tourist, who appeared to be about 60 years old, was carrying no personal documents and has yet to be identified.

Motorcyclist Rampheung Thepwarin, 39, and her daughter Sudarat Sawaengsuk, 19, riding pillion, were both injured and taken to a Navy hospital.

Witnesses said the motorcycle was travelling at a high speed.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30340481

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-08

1 hour ago, vogie said:

That stretch of road is so dangerous, there are some pedestrian crossings but they just add to the confusion, Thais will never stop at these crossings and tourist are unaware of this, it just gives a false sense of security. The only answer is at the moment is to build pedestrian bridges across that stretch of road.

There is a bridge close to 7/11 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

The headline referred to  "...Pattaya road..." (meaning a road in Pattaya) not Pattaya Road.

" Pattaya-Satahip Road in front of the Ambassador City Jomtien"

An inventive way to describe Sukhumvit road.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vogie said:

That stretch of road is so dangerous, there are some pedestrian crossings but they just add to the confusion, Thais will never stop at these crossings and tourist are unaware of this, it just gives a false sense of security. The only answer is at the moment is to build pedestrian bridges across that stretch of road.

Is a pedestrian bridge already there but they are too lazy to use it!!

There have been many Russians killed outside the Ambassador hotel, and most have been unreported in the media.

2 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Witnesses said the motorcycle was travelling at a high speed.

Nothing NEW There then !!!!!

If there's no traffic, the norm on that stretch is about 80.  NOT doing the same speed as the rest of the road users is dangerous.

Crossing any of these roads though, your head needs to be on a swivel, we all know the level of consideration that Thai drivers will give pedestrians.  Perhaps this man was new here and expected western standards of behaviour.

RIP anyway, someone, somewhere is grieving now.

I've seen them gather & sprint across the road in a groups.

It's only a matter of time before a big vehicle takes out one of these groups with multiple deaths.

There should be barriers up to stop pedestrians crossing directly across that road as there is already a foot bridge & traffic is coming at speed.

We know that piece of road so will cover our brakes but strangers to the area would not be expecting people to come charging out in front of them to cross.

3 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

- Pattaya Road?  It's Sukhumvit Road and the Ambassador Hotel is about 10 km south of Pattaya... :sleep:

- No personal document; Not identified; but they know he is Russian ?? :unsure:

they could smell tthhee vodka

How far ahead are these people looking when they're riding their motorcycles?:blink:

If you can see something irregular occurring in the distance it should have given the motorcyclist enough time to at least slow down enough to avoid the pedestrian?

Edited by midas
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, midas said:

How far ahead are these people looking when they're riding their motorcycles?:blink:

If you can see something irregular occurring in the distance it should have given the the motorcyclist enough time to slow down enough to avoid the pedestrian?

Maybe she was playing on her phone.

a very common practice .

Mostly Russians are staying at the Ambassador, and they all like to walk along Sukhumvit. I have seen people being hit in that area before. Russian tourists arrive here with no experience how to behave in the traffic . I think we have 5 deadly accidents in this area just the last year

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HLover said:

Wow, 8 posts in and not even a ridiculous insincere RIP for Boris?

Very sad.

In all honesty how many RIP's in a day would be required considering the daily toll here.

Not everyone believes in heaven and hell or all that crap so it's enough if you think to yourself 'that's sad to hear'

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And not really exceptional or forbidden on this stretch.

Going 80 km/h would be the norm.

Trying to cross Sukhumvit on foot is always playing with your life.

Not much different from trying to cross a motorway in a western country.

Even approaching a U-turn on motorbike is high on adrenaline.

And what is the pedestrian bridge just near the entrance to Ambassador city meant for?

Standing underneath in the shade waiting for the next baht bus????

Rip to another tourists 

But I driving there meny times and it is dangerous because it seems a norm Chinese and Russian only walk and try cross the road not use the bridge 

I think it is just a freak accident nobody to blame because this is a high speed road but hello to Thai people driving from home 10 min before so you not need to drive so fast and please try think of your children meaby they loose a parent or you loose a child 

Lower the speed it safe life's 

• Like 1

They really don’t use that bridge at all. It is slightly out of the way from where they want to cross the street and I think they think they have power in numbers a lot of the time when they cross there. But who will win a car doing 100k or poor Boris? 

I think the hotel should at least bring the death(s) to the attention of the Russians but they never will. Tons of them have strollers with kids as well. I have to make that U turn a lot when I stay at  Ocean Porto Fino nearby and they are really aggressive when they get in the middle of the road there and I have almost hit people. I don’t mind giving right of way to pedestrians but not for 10 minutes! That Ambassador is like a Russian village. 

• Sad 1

just another inconvenience,as pattaya turns a blind eye to scooter and tour bus, lawlessness..most of us have given up waiting for any changes to the madness of loud ,speeding lawbreaking wreckless thais..

Edited by mok199
speliing

That crossing is notorious.  The hotel even has an indecisive man with a red torch.  The street lighting is appalling: at any one time 500 metres of lights are not working.  There are no police patrols EVER to curb the high speed drivers.  Yet you can often see the BIB bandits stopping traffic during the day close to this crossing.

There is a set of lights at this crossing. They are never turned on. Why? Is it a commercial decision to make access to competing shops difficult? This fellow is not the first and will not be the last killed here unless the lights are switched on