The 2018 Pattaya Songkran FAQ (long)

JSixpack

6 hours ago, JSixpack said:

I've worn an entire rainsuit. Worked great except ponchos and rainsuits are pretty hot esp when the sun's out. I got wet from sweat.

Good far as that goes but as you know when you're on a bike your head can get blasted, hit w/ a chunk of ice, and shield powdered over. It's a blood sport for the hooligans.

LOL> My biggest worry is about what I'll do if a guy tries to blast me in the face with a squirt gun at close range. It makes me angry. The problem is not so much the water, but my emotional state, because it's an attack and gets the adrenaline pumping. On a few occasions in the past, I have grabbed the gun and ridden off with it and dumped it up the street several hundred meters. Then there's the Thai guy that dumped a bucket of ice water on me on a side-street about 11 pm coming back from Foodland with a load of shopping - I got off the bike and dunked his head in his ice water drum. He didn't appreciate that any more than I appreciated the bucket of ice water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

LOL> My biggest worry is about what I'll do if a guy tries to blast me in the face with a squirt gun at close range. It makes me angry. The problem is not so much the water, but my emotional state, because it's an attack and gets the adrenaline pumping. On a few occasions in the past, I have grabbed the gun and ridden off with it and dumped it up the street several hundred meters. Then there's the Thai guy that dumped a bucket of ice water on me on a side-street about 11 pm coming back from Foodland with a load of shopping - I got off the bike and dunked his head in his ice water drum. He didn't appreciate that any more than I appreciated the bucket of ice water.

Right on.

Actually my experience is Bangkok is more low key.

Have also experience it in Khon Kean and Korat, seemed more low key then Pats.

I understand why people can love it or hate it.

For me just too old and Curmudgeon to enjoy it now.

• Like 1

Love this topic and it's intent ....  It also raised a question about my exodus ( terminology used here, not mine )  from Pattaya as I have a afternoon flight to CNX in the afternoon of 11 Apr. Can I purchase my bus ticket back to Bangkok in advance ? Good thing now is I'm alerted of  the possibility I might have to taxi or Uber to DMK.

As a resident of Miami, we have three annual occasions to leave Dodge; Art Basel, Memorial Day Weekend ( aka hop hop wkend)  , and Ultra Music Festival (count me in), so it's interesting no matter where in the world, they're particular times a local wants out. 

In my case I do anticipate Songkran in Chiang Mai as a first timer, but probably not as much as La Tomatina.   

WHEN

Starts tentatively on April 11th by premature ejaculators and goes through the 19th in the AM.

Didn't we see here recently an official announce saying that this years Songkran would be 5 days (only?) in the whole Thailand ? :unsure:

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Didn't we see here recently an official announce saying that this years Songkran would be 5 days (only?) in the whole Thailand ? :unsure:

Pattaya is different 

On 3/15/2018 at 10:22 AM, balo said:

I think Air Asia are running some promotions now with very cheap tickets. Maybe Vietnam this year.

I did songkran vietnam for the last two years but now thinking of hainan two hours direct from UTP

On 3/12/2018 at 4:16 PM, tropo said:

It too makes me angry

On 3/11/2018 at 10:15 PM, Peterw42 said:

OP, I was thinking a "rules of engagement" guide ie: who cops the full force of the super soaker 5000 and who gets a small respectful splash.

I usually work on the principle of "if they are carrying", pistol, bucket hose etc, its game on, blast and be blasted.

Water verses water, you dont bring out the super soaker 5000 against a cute thai girl gently putting powder on your face.

Anyone wearing a raincoat or poncho etc is just asking to get wet, under the raincoat.

Old lady pushing a noodle cart, nurse in uniform going to work, a polite splash,

Someone mobile on a bike a small splash etc, if they are stopped its game on.

Any small child who shoots you, its compulsory to feign great injury, and fall to the ground etc

Any car window thats down an inch , fair game.

Any female in clothing that may cling when wet, of course.

Never eyes and ears, especially with the stupid military grade blue pvc guns, they can literally take out an eye and it was probably just refilled from a big tub of filthy water.

You and people like you should be arrested and are the reason many of us leave Pattaya for ten days. 

3 minutes ago, The manic said:

You and people like you should be arrested and are the reason many of us leave Pattaya for ten days. 

If you read my post, I am saying dont wet old ladies, people riding bikes, blast people in the face etc, only gently splash people that are taking part.

Not sure why that should have me arrested.

On 3/11/2018 at 6:48 PM, The manic said:

Get a private car from my condo to the airport the day before, fly to Vietnam, then return the day after it's all over. 

But I noticed flights to Hainan in China fly direct from UTP. A two hour flight. And it looks and interesting place. 

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

If you read my post, I am saying dont wet old ladies, people riding bikes, blast people in the face etc, only gently splash people that are taking part.

Not sure why that should have me arrested.

Its assault by another name. You are forcing yourself on other people and causing distress and danger and encouraging other people who do not have your rules of engagement. You specifically target people who don't want to be attacked. 

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Didn't you read the announcements in previous years that it would be 3 days? :wink:

On 24.3.2018 at 11:09 AM, Pattaya46 said:

If you are asking about the official holidays, yes.

Public holidays/weekend sum up for April 12 to 16 incl.

Pattaya madness is "unofficial".

The girls need to go home for Songkran and will tell about their jobs as waitresses, cleaners, receptionists :whistling:

Then go back and catch up for the madness as a tourist event.

I've driven extensively over the Songkran period....usually into Loas....They have some Hmong N/Y customs there.

But the trip takes me through some nicer small towns and rural areas where S /K has still got some charm.

However the practice of positioning your children at the edge of the road, whilst endearing is fraught with risks as it inevitably leads to little kids stepping into the traffic to get a better chance of splashing a car. I usually slow right down and even stop to indicate they can either splash or smear the car with powder....

All this is so different to the violence and mayhem of Bang Saen and Pattaya.....and the road safety violations caused by throwing ice cold water at motorcyclists

At the end of the day this kind of water is fighting, and is therefore intrinsically violent.

Edited by Airbagwill

On 3/24/2018 at 1:48 PM, JSixpack said:
On 3/24/2018 at 11:09 AM, Pattaya46 said:

Didn't you read the announcements in previous years that it would be 3 days? :wink:

Songkran in Pattaya has taken on a life of its own. Short of rolling in battle tanks there's nothing anyone could do to stop it.

• Like 1

I'm humored by this topic, though very informative. 

Tough  me to fathom old dudes grumble that their town is going to engage in a squirt gun fight for a few days. It could be worse. I laid in bed this weekend with the Flu as every beat during Ultra ricocheted off every condo building in Miami. If not for the Termites that got in me, I would have been raving with the bunch. Maybe Ultra Thailand in 2019 is in my horizon. 

It could be by chance one day Pattaya could be paralyzed by a presidential motorcade, road work on the 405, or Lady Gaga stopping in a Pattaya cafe. Clearly seems like a small choice here  making a big deal about not getting wet a tick up on visitors. You old fvcks in Pattaya,seems to me,  can't deal with an soft inconvenience. 

Came on as per usual to confirm the finish date. As Bangkok finishes on the 15th I will go there for the 16th to 19th and then on to Pattaya on the 20th. Might even have a drink or two in JSixpack's favourite (not) bar.

As per every other year i tell myself that in Chumphon it only lasts one day (if that is still correct) must go there and as per every other year I do not bother.

Well done again for the thread JS.

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2018 at 10:55 PM, JSixpack said:

That topic is off topic here, though I'm reminded of the famous scene in Butch Cassidy about rules:

You may start another topic to discuss that as it falls under "facilitating."

The FAQ has nothing to do with facilitating, liking, defending, or celebrating Songkran water/ice/powder throwing.

Well said JS let the supercilious, sanctimonious git start his own thread. His rules are his rules and not to be enforced on anyone else. Hope someone who did not want the inside of his car soaking gets out and shows his true feelings.

I was going to say gives him a good twatting but that might be misunderstood.