The 2018 Pattaya Songkran FAQ (long)

JSixpack

On 3/29/2018 at 9:30 AM, rott said:

Came on as per usual to confirm the finish date. As Bangkok finishes on the 15th I will go there for the 16th to 19th and then on to Pattaya on the 20th. Might even have a drink or two in JSixpack's favourite (not) bar.

As per every other year i tell myself that in Chumphon it only lasts one day (if that is still correct) must go there and as per every other year I do not bother.

Well done again for the thread JS.

I am now informed that Chumphon Songkran is three or four days      :(   but Koh Tao is only one day due to the local water situation.

I wonder how the roaming herds of obese tourists are going to be sold on Songkran?
"Come bathe in the delightful tropical waters of our revamped tropical paradise. Walk, breath fresh fragrant air, dine on tropical delights - and feel the pounds just melt away as Thai ladies drop sprinkle drops of holy water upon your heads."
Obese tourists.? Not many fat Russian and Chinese around. What your seeing are the locals.. Maybe even your own reflection
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, soistalker said:

I arrive in Thailand on Thursday the 12th and leave the country three days later on Sunday.

What do I do about registering at immigration if they are closed Thursday and Friday? What happens at the airport immigration?

If you are leaving after a few days why do you need to register.? At the airport you will go through immigration the same as everyone else. Stop worrying. And by the way how is your mate from the other forum.?

8 hours ago, rott said:

If you are leaving after a few days why do you need to register.? At the airport you will go through immigration the same as everyone else. Stop worrying. And by the way how is your mate from the other forum.?

I need to register as I will be staying at my condo.

what mate? What forum?

59 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

Not sure which is worse, Songkran or reading the Songkran posts in TV? ???

IMG_6857.JPG

Part of the reason I created the FAQ is 'cause I got so tired of reading the same ol' Songkran posts. So it's reduced the thread length by about 2/3.

4 hours ago, JSixpack said:
5 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Not sure which is worse, Songkran or reading the Songkran posts in TV? ???

IMG_6857.JPG

Part of the reason I created the FAQ is 'cause I got so tired of reading the same ol' Songkran posts. So it's reduced the thread length by about 2/3.

Could these type of posts in a thread specifically designed to save these people the trouble of posting indicate the IQ of people who enjoy Songkran? I thought only very drunk people and children enjoyed it, but the category of people with low mental capacity deserve an honourable mention.:smile:

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, tropo said:

Could these type of posts in a thread specifically designed to save these people the trouble of posting indicate the IQ of people who enjoy Songkran? I thought only very drunk people and children enjoyed it, but the category of people with low mental capacity deserve an honourable mention.:smile:

There's quite a bit of overlap between the drunks and the IQ impaired. :smile: 

On 3/11/2018 at 4:38 PM, JSixpack said:

The differing "demo graphs " (to use forum spelling) between those who like Songkran and those who don't are explained here: i lurv me tats & patts songkarn.

• Haha 1

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 6:58 PM, InMyShadow said:

Obese tourists.? Not many fat Russian and Chinese around. What your seeing are the locals.. Maybe even your own reflection

Uh? Is "the locals" the new way to call USA & UK retired expats? :unsure:

Easy to spot everywhere in Pattaya. Just look for a bar and a guy behind his beer.

Many really obese guys; some even needing an electric scooter to move...

• Like 1

Made a special trip to look at the Beach rd festivities , early afternoon today ,(19th) Central rd to Central Festival. In past few years there were commercial stages with dancing coyote girls. Today nada, nothing but thumping music and some over dressed folks on stage . Is this a juanta change . Overall - forgetaboutit. Just chaotic loud music , people just walking around. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

we can travel freely; and all the delights of Pattaya are moving back into position and awaiting our return. Massage? Buffet at the Hilton? Brews with views? It's a beautiful day to dive headfirst back into the cesspool. I'm gettin' back in! (Well, after such much-needed shopping.)

I second the motion!

7 hours ago, JSixpack said:

THIS YEAR’S Songkran festivities saw a higher death toll – 418 – compared to last year’s 390, the Road Safety Centre said yesterday.

Was that the total of the "7 dangerous days"? If so, then the death was slightly under the national daily average of 60 and a bit.

8 hours ago, JSixpack said:

THIS YEAR’S Songkran festivities saw a higher death toll – 418 – compared to last year’s 390, the Road Safety Centre said yesterday.

So the humankind has not evolved since last year then , another year wasted. 

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Was that the total of the "7 dangerous days"? If so, then the death was slightly under the national daily average of 60 and a bit.

I believe the routes to the North and North East are choc a bloc full before and after the Songkram holiday. Traffic is not going fast enough to cause the most serious damage. Songkran and New Year in January are red herrings as far as traffic casualties are concerned. So many more people and extra vehicles are on the roads at these times.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, tropo said:

14 hours ago, champers said:

Songkran and New Year in January are red herrings as far as traffic casualties are concerned. So many more people and extra vehicles are on the roads at these times.

Good point made here:

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 10:58 AM, JSixpack said:

COULD PATTAYA SONGKRAN BE DYING OUT?

Nah. As long as we got beer bars, bar girls, and idiot farangs, Pattaya's Songran will probably last 10 days. It's the excessive length that's the problem.

Even if dying down a bit, it doesn't change much for the average punter. Let's say, for example, you need to take a 2km trip for shopping or to a restaurant. One bucket of water achieves the same result as 10. When you're wet, you're wet. 

I did get out and stay dry on most days this year, but I was nowhere near the tourist/bar areas.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tropo said:

Even if dying down a bit, it doesn't change much for the average punter. Let's say, for example, you need to take a 2km trip for shopping or to a restaurant. One bucket of water achieves the same result as 10. When you're wet, you're wet. 

I did get out and stay dry on most days this year, but I was nowhere near the tourist/bar areas.

Very true. And when you're crashed, you're crashed. And when your helmet or windshield is obscured by paste, you're not seeing as well as you should be. Conditions are dangrous enough at the best of times.

It's hardly uncommon to need to go through the bar areas for one reason or another. Sometimes they can be avoided only at considerable inconvenience. Central, for example, right in the middle. Villa--if not for Songkran, I'd have dropped by to pick up a few things . . . . 

On 4/20/2018 at 1:39 PM, DrTuner said:

It's over, but now that everyone is wiggling out of their hideouts, just how crowded are the supermarkets today/this weekend?

not crowded at all, because people have been able to go shopping undisturbed (and DRY) during the past few days. I went to Hypermarkets twice and did not see a single water canon or pick up with revelers along Sukhumvit, though I avoided April 18/19 (noticed a lot of Songkhran activity on the 18th from my high-floor balcony)

3 hours ago, THAILIBAN said:

not crowded at all, because people have been able to go shopping undisturbed (and DRY) during the past few days. I went to Hypermarkets twice and did not see a single water canon or pick up with revelers along Sukhumvit, though I avoided April 18/19 (noticed a lot of Songkhran activity on the 18th from my high-floor balcony)

The traffic during most of the Songkran week (or 10 days) was light, so people with cars would have found shopping extra easy.

On 4/11/2018 at 5:02 AM, JSixpack said:

There's quite a bit of overlap between the drunks and the IQ impaired. :smile: 

Had no problem leaving leaving Pattaya on April 11th as some have indicated. Walked up to teller to purchase my train ticket to Bangkok and was on the next bus out. Made my flight to CNX without any problem. 

As far as Songkran; I loved it ? I get it can be tiring after a while I suppose if you live in Thailand. This was y first and I took in all the pageantry and official ceremonies in the Old City. Maybe Songkran in Pattaya is like comparing Carnival between Rio and Bahia.  I found it amazing up north. I did partake in water fights that Friday and that was enough. I left to Chiang Rai the next day.  

I'm in Bangkok now, enjoying my last two days in Thailand. I did visit Pattaya for four nights. When I return home, I'll write my impressions through the prism of a short stay. It obviously won't be a definitive. I can definitely see the draw, but it's certainly not for me. Very unique place, for sure. 

33 minutes ago, Songkran18 said:

Had no problem leaving leaving Pattaya on April 11th as some have indicated. Walked up to teller to purchase my train ticket to Bangkok and was on the next bus out. Made my flight to CNX without any problem. 

You must have the dates confused. The only water playing going on on April 11th is maybe on Beach Road Soi 7 and 8 near the bars. There's never a problem getting around on the 11th.

On 4/24/2018 at 7:02 AM, tropo said:

You must have the dates confused. The only water playing going on on April 11th is maybe on Beach Road Soi 7 and 8 near the bars. There's never a problem getting around on the 11th.

I'm not confused about the dates. It was indicated here  that the 11th was the so-called  exodus from Pattaya. Got to Chiang Mai with no problem that day. 

3 hours ago, Songkran18 said:

I'm not confused about the dates. It was indicated here  that the 11th was the so-called  exodus from Pattaya. Got to Chiang Mai with no problem that day. 

You were confused about the significance of the 11th. Escaping can be achieved any day, even early on the 19th. A lot of people on here mention that they are leaving, but I'm not sure if there's any actual "exodus".