Zebra crossings: Calls for motorists to be jailed 3 months/fined 5,000 baht for collisions

webfact

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The problem with zebra crossing in Thailand is that they are often at busy roads with 3 or 4 lanes in each direction where many people drive 80kmh+. How can anybody expect this to work here in Thailand? And if 80% of the crossing don't work then the 20% that could theoretically work won't work as well because everybody thinks they are useless.

I think this is a valid point and the same argument can be made for much of Thailands traffic woes much of which stem from poor road design, poor placement of junctions and u-turns, poor signage etc.

Pedestrian crossings are often not intelligently placed and in many cases present additional danger to a pedestrian. 

5 hours ago, Gudge said:

I agree with fining drivers for not stopping at controlled zebra crossings. Beach rd is a perfect example, just about all the crossings are light controlled and I stop for the lights but many don't and race thru the crosswalks and not Thai bashing but most offenders are Thai. The police should be monitering these and fining offenders. I have had people stopped behind me honking there horn for me to move and a couple of occasions try to force me to proceed thru. F them.

There's a video of the Thai police driving right through the red light too. You can't discipline a Thai. It is utterly impossible. They will always do what they want to do as it is an integral part of the Me First culture.

Will they also fine pedestrians for NOT using zebra crossings? Most pedestrian deaths occur in OTHER places. They cross where they like and when they like - usually playing on their phones! Nothing will change here until there is a change in law enforcement and a change in mindset of the people. 

14 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

But the police will still not actually put anyone in jail. They just go to court and the fine reduced because they are "poor". Thais realize there are no real consequences for careless driving. 

I’m not sure they understand the concept of “careless driving” as an act that they can control.... ergo no recognition of consequences due to these incidents that they can’t control (beyond ensuring possession of a genuine amulet) 

5 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Unlike UK, HK, Japan, SG, Aus, where pedestrians are king, here priority is based on size, even in car parks where once you have parked there are no safe routes for you on foot.

Pavements are not maintained or are obstructed, and even at light controlled crossings drivers don’t stop or wait only one second after pedestrians cross to zoom through the still-red light.

It’s ignorance and selfishness, the prevailing Thai road culture.

Thai people are just my first generation no respect for people or their own culture 

This is not a safe country 

Land of smile is gone 

That's why slogan is 

Amazing Thailand 

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

Will they also fine pedestrians for NOT using zebra crossings? Most pedestrian deaths occur in OTHER places. They cross where they like and when they like - usually playing on their phones! Nothing will change here until there is a change in law enforcement and a change in mindset of the people. 

Sorry never use pedestrian it is to dangerous but I will give you right about almost every Thai only looking phone and think they are alone in this world 

Obviously photo shopped - 3 motorcyclists wearing helmets (albeit they are parked in the Zebra Crossing zone) - and a car stopped at a Zebra crossing all in the same photo.  Motorcyclists are apparently exempt from stopping before the crosswalk!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Prairieboy said:

Obviously photo shopped - 3 motorcyclists wearing helmets (albeit they are parked in the Zebra Crossing zone) - and a car stopped at a Zebra crossing all in the same photo.  Motorcyclists are apparently exempt from stopping before the crosswalk!

The motorcyclists have stopped in the correct place, the M/C waiting zone. The car has also stopped in the correct place, behind the white line, the lights obviously being at red. The zebra crossing is clear for users to cross. 3 motorcyclists wearing helmets?  In the cities, where there is a higher police presence this is not unusual.

Edited by Moonlover

in civilised countries......UK .... australia ....new zealand ....hong kong....macau...singapore and i suppose malaysia ALL DRIVERS give way to pedestrians who are on the zebra crossings......BUT NOT HERE....as they are NOT told/taught what the crossings are for.....!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mserror said:

And when you have crossed the road, you must be careful not to be hit by the motorcycles on the footpath.

Indeed! The crackdown on motorbikes on sidewalks  has been about as successful as all the other crackdowns.

• Like 2

I could imagine a policeman at a crossing after a pedestrian has been run over. 

"Sir you are aware this is a Zebra Crossing ? Are you a Zebra Sir ? No Sir you are not a Zebra"

So that's a 5000 baht fine for the person using the crossing and the car driver can go off on his way.

18 hours ago, MrJohnson said:

Indeed! The crackdown on motorbikes on sidewalks  has been about as successful as all the other crackdowns.

And possibly the best example of failure is several parts of Ramkhamhaeng road where pedestrians battle 

motorcycles, often travelling way too fast, all day.

On 12/3/2561 at 11:17 PM, DavisH said:

Partly because of total lack of education. This subject has come up many time in my MBA classes which have many exchange students, they query why nobody stops at zebra crossing.

The ongoing discussion reveals that many of the Thai students can't properly explain why the white lines are on the road and why there is usually a flashing sign above the crossing. 

When it's all explained quite a few of the Thai students (average age 25 to 45) reveal that they never knew about this before.

If this discussion happens I emphasise that the pedestrian must walk on the white lines to be protected by the applicable laws. Typically there is a  comment from a Thai student 'but if your walking near the white lines it should be OK'.

Partly because of total lack of education. This subject has come up many time in my MBA classes which have many exchange students, they query why nobody stops at zebra crossing.

The ongoing discussion reveals that many of the Thai students can't properly explain why the white lines are on the road and why there is usually a flashing sign above the crossing. 

When it's all explained quite a few of the Thai students (average age 25 to 45) reveal that they never knew about this before.

If this discussion happens I emphasise that the pedestrian must walk on the white lines to be protected by the applicable laws. Typically there is a  comment from a Thai student 'but if your walking near the white lines it should be OK'.

Only ‘OK’ with the correct amulet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk