Cops wages should be raised to combat corruption and bribery

webfact

36 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Considering that the legal minimum wage is 300 baht a day I think that it should be raised.  Hell, the minimum I can pay a leaner for my school is 9k.  

Lets face it if you are not paying a living wage and these guys are not getting it it is hard to stop the corruption.  Let me see.

If I do not get caught I can eat and pay my rent.  

If I don't take a bribe i can eat but have nowhere to live.

If I lose my job I can always get one as a security guard and make the same pay plus the tips that the homeowners give me.

I think that if they are making a good salary and have a good benefits package it would be more of a deterrent to taking bribes as \\after the first 10 -100 people caught get canned and lose everything.

I go with you on what you say.

But what most people don't always realise is that corruption invariably starts at the top. As a newbie/incomer, you either go with the flow, or your out. You are too dangerous to the system. Everyone must conform. It's essential for the "system" to work.

But let's face it. The Police are mere minions/puppets of the rich and famous. Thai society continues to suffer from endemic corruption.

Pay and or good medical coverage, good life insurance for the family, decent retirement pension, etc.  Things like that can build Esprit-de-Corps, some job dedication, etc.  Not everybody wants the big buck and flashy stuff.  I think we all know some of the issues with city or government workers and what motivates them or what doesn't

22 hours ago, greeneking said:

Eventually this will have to be an important part of modernization.  But only a part.  Presently the best paid officers seem to be the most in need of 'extras'.  There does not seem to be a salary level that makes for honest work.

Disagree...a salary which elevates the status of someone also should instill fear of losing that status for wrong doing.  IMO

Edited by Curmudgeon1

23 hours ago, greeneking said:

Eventually this will have to be an important part of modernization.  But only a part.  Presently the best paid officers seem to be the most in need of 'extras'.  There does not seem to be a salary level that makes for honest work.

Your group think statement basically says all the cops here are dishonest.

Which, is a huge load of crap.

9 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Your group think statement basically says all the cops here are dishonest.

Which, is a huge load of crap.

Well i cannot believe what you just posted !!

Yes all cops here are dishonest, every single 1 of them.

Edited by colinneil