Humans first - soi dogs second! Thais now advocating "the final solution"

webfact

42 minutes ago, Arkady said:

I am lucky that I live in a village that doesn't often have stray dogs in it, so I can take my dog for walks.  But we have a neighbour who is a vet that owns an aggressive dog and her family and maids are too lazy to make sure the gates are shut.  The dog has attacked my dogs who were on a lease and I beat it off with a stick and by throwing stones.  Another neighbour's poodle wasn't so lucky and got badly bitten but the vet sewed it up for free.  Other dogs and a little girl have also been bitten and I saw the dog chasing after two coppers on a motor bike once.  It is amazing that some well educated Thais can be so irresponsible with their dogs, especially in this case a vet.

Bite me or family once only, wouldn't live long enough for a repeat performance.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, djayz said:

Although I love animals, particularly dogs, I think a cull is long over due. There are simply too many of the muts roaming the streets barking and scaring people.

time to have dog licenses like in the US. No tag, the dog is taken, held for few days or week? If no one claims the animal is euthanized, the fees from the tags are used to cover expenses.

• Like 1

In the USA Bison numbers pre 1800 were of the order of 60,000,000.

By  1900 the number had decreased to only 300 and only survived extinction by given protected species status.

The dramatic fall in numbers was as a direct result of hunting.

So on that basis I would suggest culling does work .

• Like 2

Just now, masterpasser said:

In the USA Bison numbers pre 1800 were of the order of 60,000,000.

By  1900 the number had decreased to only 300 and only survived extinction by given protected species status.

The dramatic fall in numbers was as a direct result of hunting.

So on that basis I would suggest culling does work .

If a price was put on their heads  like the Crown of Thorns in Australia the problem would be gone in no time.

• Like 1

The only viable way to improve the situation, which is also consistent with Buddhist precepts, is a programme of educating dog owners to get vaccinations and neutering and vaccinating strays, such as the programme being carried out by Soi Dogs.  Government support would make it more effective.   

Allowing "culling" will certainly not make any impression on the problem but will give an excuse to a lot of sadistic people to murder people's stray dogs and encourage the dog meat trade.  Do you really want to eat rabid meat?

Rubbish . It’s a virus. The VNs and Koreans cook the meat there is no evidence that eating rabid dog meat transmits Rabies to humans or maybe you can provide a link? And what is wrong with a dog meat trade anyway ? Is there something wrong with Those who eat beef and Pork as well or are you racist? Dog eating is part of their culture.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, djayz said:

Although I love animals, particularly dogs, I think a cull is long over due. There are simply too many of the muts roaming the streets barking and scaring people.

I hate rats and any animals that present a danger to the health of the community. There's no need to distinguish them from other animals as requiring special attention. The butcher shop is full of dead animals that few are crying over other than some vegans and vegetarians. Although some are "strays", most are born in the wild (street, vacant lots and parks) and were never pets. People who ride motorbikes around Pattaya will be more in tune with the problem. Being bitten is a huge risk if you're not careful where you ride. I wouldn't risk many streets at night. A cull won't solve the problem. They need to stay at it and hire full-time dog catchers. If the people who go around feeding them everyday care, they should put collars on them and take them in as pets.

• Like 2

Oh! Aren't they just so cute, they should all be out on the streets doing doggy things.

Japan does not have a rabies problem. Bringing a dog there is a 6 month process or paid quarantine up to 6 months. Before a rational Japanese style system is implemented here with impound centers and dog-catchers a systematic and repeated cull in all Thai cities affected is necessary.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jmacken306 said:

time to have dog licenses like in the US. No tag, the dog is taken, held for few days or week? If no one claims the animal is euthanized, the fees from the tags are used to cover expenses.

No offense, but that's a resounding NO from me re licenses. We have the same load of bxllxcks in Ireland. What a pain in the arxe it is for dog owners who DO actually care for their dogs. Why should the "good people" be penalized again?! I see it as being another form of tax. 

One of the things I like about Thailand is the lack of dog licenses, TV licenses, fishing licenses, etc. Life should be simple, the less licenses the better. 

Edited by djayz

This is a terrible disease and should be cleared by any means, not just dogs, the largest carrier of rabies is bats not dogs.

moving forward after, the people need to be held responsible for their pets. Dogs should be tagged by law, not be allowed to roam the streets freely. These measure where brought in many years ago in the U.K. first with dog liecences and now electronic tags, now you never see dogs roaming the streets and rabies is no longer a concern.

There are many people in Thailand trying to improve the situation in a humane way. We have built a shelter which houses 100 dogs from the street, mostly out of our own pocket. We have had over 200 sterilization surgeries performed on strays in the past 18 months and many hundreds of vaccinations.We would happily do far more but receive essentially no support from the local population or the government. We are therefore limited to doing only what we can afford. Everyone wants the problem solved but expect someone else to take care of it. Simply doesn't work that way.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, djayz said:

No offense, but that's a resounding NO from me re licenses. We have the same load of bxllxcks in Ireland. What a pain in the arxe it is for dog owners who DO actually care for their dogs. Why should the "good people" be penalized again?! I see it as being another form of tax. 

One of the things I like about Thailand is the lack of dog licenses, TV licenses, fishing licenses, etc. Life should be simple, the less licenses the better. 

It would be wonderful if all dogs were licensed by the council. Don't worry, it will never happen.

I am a dog owner but over the years visiting Thailand I have noticed it's getting much more of a problem.I have been bitten once and attacked another time.So I agree unfortunatly action is needed.

Paul 

• Like 1

Blooming pidgeons use my car for target practice, if people stop feeding them, stop them nesting, there will be less damage everywhere.

Unfortunately soi  dogs use humans for biting practice,  microchiping every owned dog should reduce the problem.

4 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

PS - please can someone suggest how Bangkok could cope with 300,000 dog carcasses?

5aaa5428d5825_2018-03-1518_07_47.jpg.0d09e6f4310095a9793d10dc98060a33.jpg     5aaa54566c193_2018-03-1518_08_53.jpg.dc3ba284ab6c96296b7bf837ed17de5e.jpg

But seriously, the dogs are the victims here. People/owners are responsible for not taking care of the animals they acquire. And now it's going to be the dogs that suffer, perhaps, for human neglect.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

What utter tosh. All concerned with incorrect words and semantics. For Christ’s sake just shoot the bloody awful diseased creatures, or would the tree huggers amongst you like a dose of Rabies and dying a most terrible death?  Think on. 

• Like 2

I love dogs. But Rabies is an infectious disease that kills people - and in one of the worst ways imaginable. Most dogs in Thailand, Philippines etc. are not vaccinated. I think culling is the only solution. There is not or money or personnel to send thousands of teams of people around the country to vaccinate. It's just not viable. Second, "The Final Solution"? Really? Pretty tasteless, sick actually... 

• Like 1

BTW, does anyone know, is there even any Animal Control Department in Bangkok local government, and if so, what they do?

On TV, I sometime see the uniformed workers sent out to capture the stray alligator or get the 6 foot python out of someone's yard. But never quite sure who they are???

5 minutes ago, killala said:

What utter tosh. All concerned with incorrect words and semantics. For Christ’s sake just shoot the bloody awful diseased creatures, or would the tree huggers amongst you like a dose of Rabies and dying a most terrible death?  Think on. 

If you're responding to my post, I didn't say something shouldn't be done. Something indeed needs to be done.

But you really can't blame the street dogs for their plight. They're there in that situation either because some past owner didn't take care of their own pet, and/or because the local authorities ignore animal control, spay/neutering, etc.  just like they ignore so much else.

I simply find it sad when innocent animals have to die because of human neglect. Dogs by nature are indeed man's best friend and very loyal to their owners/family. But that's not saying the street dog problem doesn't need addressing.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1