Humans first - soi dogs second! Thais now advocating "the final solution"

webfact

4 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

There are two main organizations in the world that conduct scientific monitoring of rabies outbreaks and the various worldwide efforts to control the disease: the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Global Alliance for Rabies Control (GARC). Both these organisations agree that the destruction of stray dogs by itself has never been shown to be an effective measure and only works as an adjunct to a mass vaccination.

The WHO website has the following information:

There needs to be a concerted, ongoing cull of stray dogs for rabies control plus very obvious other reasons

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Nevertheless, I have always greatly disliked the word "to cull" in this context, because to me it seems like a cowardly expression that is not accurately describing what is actually happening. We KILL those strays, don't we? So why do people shy away from using that word? Is it too uncomfortable? Does it trigger their conscience? Does it make them too aware that something bad is inflicted on these creatures?

PC, I suppose. I have no objections to "let's go murder some mutts".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, vagaboberalis said:

Blah blah blah 

I love  dogs blah blah

So do I blah blah

But I DO NOT LIKE being hounded by the beasts walking home at night.

Those 'nice'people who feed and water them then drive by in their Mercedes should be made to walk the soi at night

Blah blah

I have been accused of being too direct at times but I agree and if someone tells me I fed 10 stray dogs today my usual reply is '<deleted>'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife and self have talked about this today. She is following it on whatever.

One point she brought up was the fact that in the past few years we have done a bit of travelling to many countries and the thing she mentioned was the lack of ( her words ) scabby dogs on the streets and beaches.

One thing she brought up in particular was a holiday in UK where we rented a SC place on the beach and every morning people would walk on the beach with their dogs, carrying pooper scoopers, picking up the odd bit of crap that had washed in overnight.

Tonight she is talking about with me and how little is done here to rectify the situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hugh2121 said:

Better to cull the morons who turned the dogs out in the first place.

Good idea but I don't see too many stepping forward and owning up, but for those that do they could be gassed together, kill two birds with one stone so to speak

After scrolling through post after post proclaiming that "something must be done", it was a relief to reach no. 139 to find someone who was actually doing something to tackle the problem. Unfortunately the capture, vaccinate, neuter, release solution does not appeal to the "flog 'em, hang 'em, shoot 'em" TV brigade, as subsequent comments on this post have all been scathing. My experience tells me otherwise.

Our village has a relatively minor soi dog problem, which we have gone a small way to alleviating by adopting eight stray puppies and having them vaccinated and neutered. Cycling round the area has shown that the strays tend to ignore us - it is the dogs who think we have invaded their territory by cycling past their houses that tend to be aggressive.

However, a nearby town did have a stray dog problem. On enquiring, we found out that a local lady was running a capture, vaccinate, neuter, release programme in conjunction with a local vet, constrained only by lack of funds. We have therefore helped her financially and also with food to give the dogs in her care. We also discovered that a local organisation had an excess of funds which they wanted to donate to a good cause. Having seen how the programme operated, and noticing the positive effect it was having on the local dog population, they were persuaded to lend their support.

This type of action certainly works at a local level. Maybe if the almost 200 posters who have advocated a more radical, but probably unworkable, solution were to actually take some action instead of just blustering, then it would go some way to solving the problem.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Seems to me two things are being mixed up here,the dogs carrying rabies and the ever growing population of stray dogs.

Try this one,lets say a soi dog lives for ten years.Probably not but just for argument sake.

You could try in a certain area to feed the dogs and lace their food with a product that will prevent (the pill)the bitches from becoming pregnant.Ten procent per year will die of from natural causes,the next year less food will do the trick and so on.

No need to kill,cull or put dogs to sleep (whatever you want to call it).

In less then five years the problem will be much smaller and this could be a solution everyone can live with?

Let's say if you put a .223 through its head it would save a lot of time and money. Do that to them all then my wife could take our well behaved and looked after dogs for a walk every morning, or is that too much to ask for?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

After scrolling through post after post proclaiming that "something must be done", it was a relief to reach no. 139 to find someone who was actually doing something to tackle the problem. Unfortunately the capture, vaccinate, neuter, release solution does not appeal to the "flog 'em, hang 'em, shoot 'em" TV brigade, as subsequent comments on this post have all been scathing. My experience tells me otherwise.

Our village has a relatively minor soi dog problem, which we have gone a small way to alleviating by adopting eight stray puppies and having them vaccinated and neutered. Cycling round the area has shown that the strays tend to ignore us - it is the dogs who think we have invaded their territory by cycling past their houses that tend to be aggressive.

However, a nearby town did have a stray dog problem. On enquiring, we found out that a local lady was running a capture, vaccinate, neuter, release programme in conjunction with a local vet, constrained only by lack of funds. We have therefore helped her financially and also with food to give the dogs in her care. We also discovered that a local organisation had an excess of funds which they wanted to donate to a good cause. Having seen how the programme operated, and noticing the positive effect it was having on the local dog population, they were persuaded to lend their support.

This type of action certainly works at a local level. Maybe if the almost 200 posters who have advocated a more radical, but probably unworkable, solution were to actually take some action instead of just blustering, then it would go some way to solving the problem.

As long as your idea can make 100% sure a stray rabid dog doesn't suddenly appear and undo all your well intended work.

Well looked after pets at home are fine but  loose dogs being snipped and then allowed total freedom doesn't solve the problem

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AboutThaim said:

So if it's going to take 200 years they better get started.  I don't know about the cities but here in the rural areas cutting off food supplies is going to be difficult.  Every day and even at night there are literally hundreds of food parcels roaming around.  They are called ducks, chickens and turkeys.  We lost several ducks in one night to dogs.  A neighbour lost ten turkeys a couple of nights later and another neighbour has lost several ducks and at least one chook.  Possible culprits come from the dog population at the temple just down the road.  I believe if someone no longer wants their dog they can leave it at a temple.  Maybe they no longer want it because it kills chickens, etc.  My gf's father had a pup that killed chickens.  He had someone take it away for "attitude adjustment" I was told.

Obviously a continuous cull is the only effective way to bring the population down.  I also believe cutting the food supply will have starving dogs becoming more aggressive and sympathetic people will feel they just have to feed them.

So did an immediate night cull start on each and every property where the ducks,  turkey's etc are being killed off, if it hasn't well the depletion of the birds is deserved.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Gosh someone after my own heart .

I repeat a post on another thread - dogs have been human companions for around 40000 years.

We have genetically engineered all the dogs you see around everyday- from tiny ones to huge dogs - selective breeding. We have caused the problem. 

We never  call for culling humans ? Why not? Just another species - nothing special- few billion around the planet. 

The way to go is vaccination or making a real effort to reduce the population.

Not killing/ culling them. 

apparently the government and few TVF member doesnt know about sterillized method ..shame on to kill/cull or whatever they called it

53 minutes ago, AboutThaim said:

So if it's going to take 200 years they better get started.  I don't know about the cities but here in the rural areas cutting off food supplies is going to be difficult.  Every day and even at night there are literally hundreds of food parcels roaming around.  They are called ducks, chickens and turkeys.  We lost several ducks in one night to dogs.  A neighbour lost ten turkeys a couple of nights later and another neighbour has lost several ducks and at least one chook.  Possible culprits come from the dog population at the temple just down the road.  I believe if someone no longer wants their dog they can leave it at a temple.  Maybe they no longer want it because it kills chickens, etc.  My gf's father had a pup that killed chickens.  He had someone take it away for "attitude adjustment" I was told.

Obviously a continuous cull is the only effective way to bring the population down.  I also believe cutting the food supply will have starving dogs becoming more aggressive and sympathetic people will feel they just have to feed them.

Culls don't work.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

About 60 people die on the roads every day and 3 kids drown every 24 hours in thailand....how many people die from dog rabies every year?

I'm sure if there was a shot one could take to undie from being hit by a car, or undrown, many people would take it. Unfortunately, there is none such shot. There is, however, a shot for being bitten by s rabid dog though. :saai: Maybe that's got something to do with the stats?

Edited by SABloke

10 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

Humans first, soi dogs second, farang third.

The new Thai mantra.

Stupid comment 

If not have anything intelligent to say it will be better just not say anything 

We farangs are respected of normal Thais meaby not in the sex industry but I think you need come out more 

2 minutes ago, SABloke said:
8 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

About 60 people die on the roads every day and 3 kids drown every 24 hours in thailand....how many people die from dog rabies every year?

It not about road accident it is about rabies this can cause a outbreak of meny people getting sick and die

13 hours ago, frankjacques said:

It is well past time. I love animals...but even animals that are clearly suffering are left alive and helpless. 

Yep. 2005 I think it was when they tried it last. Massive outcry so it was stopped. People would rather the animals die in pain and suffering than to put it out of its misery. Sickening but I'm just a guest here.

18 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Stupid comment 

If not have anything intelligent to say it will be better just not say anything 

We farangs are respected of normal Thais meaby not in the sex industry but I think you need come out more 

What on earth does the sex industry have to do with it? Do you have to bring everything to do with Thailand down to the sex industry?

I was recently attacked by two vicious dogs in sattahip...they were used as a weapon to attack me..for no reason..15 shots and pain still fighting to even get the close to 10,000 doctor bills paid....Been HELL

16 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

What on earth does the sex industry have to do with it? Do you have to bring everything to do with Thailand down to the sex industry?

It was a comment to your post as we farangs are third 

Normal Thai accept and respect us 

Thai people are tried of soi dogs and want government take action now 

So if you meet Thai people there put you down under the dogs meaby you meet the wrong people as people in the sex industry answer that your question?? 

You are  misinformed,
firstly you won't see starving dogs everywhere - where do you think Soi dogs go now? Float off into doggies heaven in a cloud of nothingness?
Dogs die every day - if you reduce or cut down the food supply the death rate hardly needs to change, what happens is that without food dogs instinctively don't breed - they have no food in the area they may try and leave but they won't settle down and breed. So you  are in effect cutting off the replacement of dogs with new ones. It's called natural wastage.

As for culls in other countries - they don't work! and never have - it took Netherlands 200 years to get their dog population under control and they did it my owner education and controlling food supplies. THere are no countries that have successfully culled and solved a dog population.

If you have as I've repeatedly stated a small dog population on an island then you can cull because dogs can't come from outside to replace them.
Thailand has a vast roaming dog population and a cull wouldn't even dent it.
What will happen is it will make the same number od dogs healthier and more of a problem to humans - in the end it could even increase the population.

When you reduce the population by restricting the food supply, it will after a while come down to a level where the type of restrictions used in the West can be applies. Dogs are caught, kept and if no owner is found they are killed. but this only works where the dog population is relatively tiny. first the population has to be reduced permanently and culling will not achieve this....it ain't rocket science.

No, IT a’int rocket science.
If every individual in the stray dog population got enough food it will not need to stray. Less interaction between the dogs. Less infected dogs.
Culling the population, gives larger environment for each individual in the population, more food available. Less interaction between the stray dog, less infected dogs.
Hungry dogs seek together and hunting for pray over large areas. Dangerous for people, and gives more interaction in between different groups of dogs. Competition about food. More infected dogs.
You never will be able to “cull” away a hole population of strays. But you can make the living conditions for the remaining dogs better. Less aggressive dogs, with better health conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1