Humans first - soi dogs second! Thais now advocating "the final solution"

webfact

11 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Unless you are on a small island, a cull won't work. You will have to continue killing forever to keep the population down

One female dog and her babies can have over 67,000 puppies in a six-year time frame! That's because a dog can have three litters a year with up to seven puppies per litter.

If you kill a dog the gap left will be filled within days with dogs from outside the area.

To reduce the dog population to a manageable size you have to deal with the food supply i.e. garbage and garbage disposal and ask people not to feed them.

Limiting the food limits the population that can be supported.

PS - please can someone suggest how Bangkok could cope with 300,000 dog carcasses?

Incineration. Burn baby burn. A doggie crematorium. 

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Incineration. Burn baby burn. A doggie crematorium. 

300,000 carcasses in Bangkok alone - in how long a time period? - who wants to live next to that crematorium?

Of course, you could put down poison....and kill thousands of other animals, pollute the rivers, soil and land.....

So shooting - how about shooting accidents - people roaming around town with rifles?

...and of course the public outcry.

...and in the end after a few months a new healthier dog population.

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Because "cull" is the correct verb to use !!!

Definition  1.reduce the population of (a wild animal) by selective slaughter.

Thanks for the definition.

I believe the OP was referring to the use of a euphemism:

Definition: a mild or indirect word or expression substituted for one considered to be too harsh or blunt when referring to something unpleasant or embarrassing.

... which s/he finds hypocritical.

Incidentally, it sounds like this is a phonological variation like "sugar" is used for the "sh" word. "Cull" > "kill". Note the perplexing use of a "c" for the "k" phoneme, but then "c" is so much more civilized and contrived. But I digress!

BTW, I have never heard of the word before, but then English is not my first language. If journalism is the art of communicating, then "cull" was not very effective, although I got the gist. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, poohy said:

Too hard for most Thais!!

You have a point - people's attitudes to animals need to change. Education rather than culling should be the answer.

dog owners (who I'm sure LOVE their dogs) should be imbued with a sense of social responsibility.

Vaccinations, spaying etc and don't let dogs breed or mingle with the Soi dogs.

All the Sopi dogs in my village hae collars yet they are totally untrained and rubbish is strewn all over the place every night. 

One of the maintenance crew was treated in hospital after being attacked by one dog....the solution? It now wears a muzzle...sometimes.

17 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Could send them to Sakhon somewhere, where they can be eaten, or used for the insides of shoes, as they are now.

Every time the dog problem is discussed some "bright spark" come up with this cliche....you'd think they'd read a bit before opening themselves up to ridicule.

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Because "cull" is the correct verb to use !!!

Definition  1.reduce the population of (a wild animal) by selective slaughter.

"final solution" suggest elimination of the entire population ... "cull" doesn't require this, it suggests a reduction in the overall population but as this leaves breeding packs of animals then, so long as there is food the population will bounce back or even increase as a cull tends to weed out the weakest animals leaving the fit and healthy to breed again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SABloke said:

Do you dislike to word slaughter for the same reason?

Yes, we kill animals in a cull, but the English language is great in that a word can be very specific and give the reader/listener a lot of information instantly without the need to clarify. I can say a thing is 'big', 'huge',or 'gigantic' rather than having to say, 'big', 'very big', 'very very big'. Kill is a very vague term.

kill: cause the death of (a person, an animal, or other living thing)

murder: the unlawful and premeditated killing of one human being by another

slaughter: kill animals for food.

cull: reduce the population of (a wild animal) by selective slaughter, select from a large quantity; obtain from a variety of source

When cattle ranchers in the states "cull" the herds, they take out the defective animals but it does not necessarily mean they are killed, not yet anyway...most of the time they are sold off at a different price. This is one definition of "cull", the other definition is, as you stated, to kill off a number of animals to an acceptable level. (most dictionaries actually state "wild animals")

2 minutes ago, Cereal said:

I, too, love dogs. However, those soi beasts aren't dogs, they're disease ridden animals that serve no good or positive purpose at all. Kill 'em all I say. Good riddance, they won't be missed. 

They will all go to heaven then where they can chase all the fluffy bunnies that died from myxamatosis?? and eat them, oh hold on a minute, if they eat the fluffy bunnies where do they go? Is heaven multi-layered and they all just keep moving up and do the dogs move down a layer because they killed a fluffy bunny.

This heaven could be a complicated place.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

You have a point - people's attitudes to animals need to change. Education rather than culling should be the answer.

dog owners (who I'm sure LOVE their dogs) should be imbued with a sense of social responsibility.

Vaccinations, spaying etc and don't let dogs breed or mingle with the Soi dogs.

All the Sopi dogs in my village hae collars yet they are totally untrained and rubbish is strewn all over the place every night. 

One of the maintenance crew was treated in hospital after being attacked by one dog....the solution? It now wears a muzzle...sometimes.

Amazing isn't it. Means that 'sometimes' he won't get bitten.

Probably gives the 'owner' an out if he has a photo of it with the muzzle on it,  see, can't be my dog.

Well very interesting, certainly some of the comments. However the real problem, is an over population of the human race ( a cull? ). Also their typical reaction of blaming these problems on the animals, rather than looking at the real issue! That is, people keeping pets, and not being bothered to have them snipped. I live on a little island in Greece. A wealthy Swedish women deposited a large amount of money, at the local vets, for the islanders to have their pets snipped for free. This was well published.  Well in 4 years, not one Greek has been to have their pet/pets snipped. They either dump them at dustbins, or in the dustbins, or they throw them in our garden. Yes we now have 28 cats, all snipped. If you cannot afford to keep a pet? Then do not get one in the first place. Education, I generally thought was the issue with the locals, however from reading some of the comments here, a few others need to their heads out of the sand. Or wherever it happens to be at this time? Please do not come back with " The Thai's cannot afford this ". 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Not sure how many studies have been done on the rabies issue. In India these are some of the facts- 

In March, the civic authorities in one of India's richest cities made a startling disclosurre in the country's top court: dog bites in Mumbai had killed more people in 20 years than the two deadly terror attacks in the city - the 1993 serial blasts and the 26/11 attack in 2011.

According to the municipality's petition in the Supreme Court, 434 people had died from rabies - a fatal viral infection which is almost 100% preventable - transmitted by dogs between 1994 and 2015. (In comparison, the two attacks killed 422 people.) More than 1.3 million people had been bitten by dogs in the city during the same period.

In many cities around the world, the dogs are rounded up, and brought to a shelter. Once they are sterilized or vaccinated, they can be claimed as pets. If they are not claimed within a specific period of time, they are put down with poison. They can then be cremated. The fumes from cremation are no more than those from small factories. It is a simple solution. Something must be done here.

All I can see here is that you've outlined a few of the issues connected with dop population problems around the world.

the point I'm malking is that in Thailand a "cull" won't work.

It might make a few people think something is being done, but in a relatively short period of time it will become apparent that the dog problem has not been solved.

As I said, food supply is the only long-term solution.

I also addressed the ineffectiveness of "shelters as unless the dogs are put back in the pack they came from they will be replaced by fertile dogs.

You also grossly underestimate the particulate problem created in somewhere like BKK by the continuous cremation of 300.000 dog carcasses. Let alone the logistics of such an enterprise, where are you going to store the carcasses waiting to be burned and how many incinerators are going to be built?

The authorities will have to kill and dispose of about 1 million animals in a relatively short period.

In the meantime the bitches are heading towards there 67,000 in 6 years - this has to be stemmed as well - its like painting the Forth suspension bridge.