No new answers as Chonburi governor admits Koh Larn has a "trash crisis"

webfact

No new answers as Chonburi governor admits Koh Larn has a "trash crisis"

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

The Chonburi governor has admitted that the trash situation on holiday island Koh Larn off Pattaya is now a full blown crisis.

But he offered no new ideas about what is to be done just saying things need to be sped up.

29187240_1830626716958254_1423579949779910656_n.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

Patrathorn Thianchai was with Bang Lamung district chief Naris Niramaiwong, Pattaya City officials and public health inspectors on Koh Larn yesterday, reported Sophon Cable TV on Facebook.

The governor said that there was now 50,000 tons of accumulated trash and this was increasing by 20 tons a day. Most of this was as a result of the tourist industry and much of the trash was food waste.

He said it was a crisis and there were not enough workers to cope with separating the trash and there is no space to bury it or keep it adequately. In addition a boat used by the Pattaya administration to transport the trash to the mainland was broken down.

He said he was there to come up with some short and long term solutions - but there appeared little new, reported Sophon.

The governor mentioned the ongoing idea for a three million baht incineration plant on the island and said that some trash must be removed immediately.

Sophon suggested there were serious implications for the environment with the situation as it is. They also cited "mushrooming" development as part of the problem

The governor called on all those responsible to find a workable solution as soon as possible.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-15

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The governor mentioned the ongoing idea for a three million baht incineration plant on the island and said that some trash must be removed immediately.

3 !!! million baht is even too much to clean this beautifull island?? I bet his car even costs more 55555.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have an idea. No tourists allowed until it is cleared up. All those previously involved bringing and serving tourists can switch to garbage clean-up. Not sure where they can put it but that is another issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

this crisis didn't just suddenly spring to life; where were the preventative measures leading up to this ? if one of the sub-goals of the article was to highlight inept governing, it hit that mark

preventative,advanced thinking,preparing,tomorrow,n xt week,next.....,responsibility,anticipating,5555 these terms are all unknown here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually my idea is to bring in 1000 goats.  They will eat any garbage.

Additionally, it said mostly from food waste.  Have an older stern Mom type Thai lady assigned to every restaurant getting in the face of customers demanding that they clean their plates..

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

take time to watch a thai ordering food,chicken and rice in,5 bags, mabey a few foam bowls of soup, and a slurpy..all into the trash, or more than likely just abandoned on the sidewalk...mabey its time to change this ''everything in a bag..''mind set..oh who am I kidding...thais will never change,that may mean an effort or an inconvienence....trash on thailand

The governor mentioned the ongoing idea for a three million baht incineration plant on the island "

There will be an awful lot more accumulated trash by the time that's built and up and running:giggle:

bloody faring tourists if they never had come here this problem would not be here. i can totally go with this as it is totally true. BUT BUT BUT BUT surely thais have a planing permission, health control, building regulations system to work by.      AS IF !!!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere they already had an incineration plant over there it just needed to be fixed. So simple solution fix the bloody thing then use it to generate power for the island, this can be then sold to customers to recover costs  

• Like 1

On 3/15/2018 at 2:29 PM, ross163103 said:

Thailand wants more tourists--and their money, but better they get the various infrastructures in place before more situations like this come about. Once it gets to this stage it's a LOT harder to manage.

Well elsewhere I was involved in a discussion how the 'infrastructure' is much improved. But the reality is it is still lacking or lagging, this is a good example... but hey, the cell phones work!

On 3/17/2018 at 5:03 AM, jacko45k said:

Well elsewhere I was involved in a discussion how the 'infrastructure' is much improved.

Which you lost badly in the face of evidence of improvement and then came down with a serious case of whataboutism.

But the reality is it is still lacking or lagging, this is a good example.

Which reduces to the trivial when you realize that infrastructure is lacking or lagging everywhere; no reason Pattaya should be any exception except for fun bashing purposes.

America's infrastructure is falling apart — here's a look at how bad things have gotten

The number of drivers breaking down after hitting potholes has seen a "concerning" rise, according to the RAC.

The RAC saw an 11% jump in breakdowns caused by poor quality roads in the last three months of 2017. . . . The RAC was called to 2,830 pothole-related breakdowns between October and December, compared with 2,547 in the period a year before. RAC chief engineer David Bizley said the figures would be "met with concern" among drivers because potholes represent a "serious road safety risk".

--Potholes send breakdown figures flying

.. but hey, the cell phones work!

Quite a good thing, too, as cell phone service is lot more important to tourism than the trash on Koh Larn. And to you, as you're really only concerned w/ your own convenience. Now we'll see what happens w/ Koh Larn.

Edited by JSixpack

12 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Which you lost badly in the face of evidence of improvement and then came down with a serious case of whataboutism.

Actually I just thought you made yourself look silly...

What has the USA got to do with infrastructure in Thailand... absolutely nothing!

It is called diversion.

What happens on Koh Larn will take time. More than it should. Like the repairs to the Beach and the sewage plant, the exploding and burning transformers, frequent power and water cuts.

Edited by jacko45k

16 hours ago, jacko45k said:

What has the USA got to do with infrastructure in Thailand... absolutely nothing!

It is called diversion.

What happens on Koh Larn will take time. More than it should. Like the repairs to the Beach and the sewage plant, the exploding and burning transformers, frequent power and water cuts.

I actually think the comparison to other places is fair as so many seem to do nothing but bad mouth this place.

The infrastructure here is not the best and can be slow for repair especially in town, but I got to say it is worse in Los Angeles.

The road from BKK to Pats now is pretty darn good much better then several of the highways in Socal.

Also, there are power outages all over California mostly during the summer.  Maybe it is because I have live in newer building but after 2 years here, I never lost power or had a water stoppage. 

Anyway, I sure hope they figure out Koh Larn sooner then later.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I actually think the comparison to other places is fair as so many seem to do nothing but bad mouth this place.

The infrastructure here is not the best and can be slow for repair especially in town, but I got to say it is worse in Los Angeles.

The road from BKK to Pats now is pretty darn good much better then several of the highways in Socal.

Also, there are power outages all over California mostly during the summer.  Maybe it is because I have live in newer building but after 2 years here, I never lost power or had a water stoppage. 

Anyway, I sure hope they figure out Koh Larn sooner then later.

It is also much better than many many places, probably most of Africa, but there is no reason it cannot get better. We can always find places worse, but what does that achieve other than a sense of apathy? I don't know what the issue is with S.Cal but I did not experience issues while I was in the USA, and the instances of power or water being cut in the UK is very very rare. In Thailand, for me, day before yesterday!

I too hope they resolve Koh Larn. Isn't there a similar situation on Koh Samui too?

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That's your thought when comparisons to other countries aren't to Thailand's detriment. When Thailand seems to fare worse by comparison, then your thought is that the poster has made himself look intelligent. Doubly so when extending the comparison to Thais vs. Brits (presumably not among the "some visitors"):

On 8/17/2017 at 6:49 AM, jacko45k said:

Roundabouts with traffic lights are very common in the UK. The lights are usually scheduled to handle the busy times, when roundabouts become less efficient.

The fact that Thai drivers and perhaps some visitors do not know how to use the roundabout is reason enough to get rid of it. People have been killed on it before. Sadly they aren't too great with traffic lights either.

Scheduled lights! Not that you're alone. Would love to have more fun with this but I can't stray too far off-topic.

Adding hypocrisy completes the portrait:

It is called diversion.

But you've conveniently missed my point. I didn't compare infrastructure vs. infrastructure as you did above. My point is that infrastructure development is an ongoing process in all countries including the developed. Your unique claim about Thailand is that if another bit of work needs to be done, as in any country, it somehow means that nothing else was ever done, unlike in any other country. Have I got that right?  

Of course it will take more time than it should. I've found repairs to transformers quite prompt, actually. But Pattaya has made great strides in improving the electric grid and the waterworks, esp at a time of such incredibly rapid expansion. I remember when the city was 4 or 5 times smaller yet the water and power situation was MUCH worse. I'm speaking generally; a finger point to a specific instance doesn't diminish that fact. And though progress is ongoing, it will never keep up--just as it doesn't elsewhere. :smile: And so?

Edited by JSixpack