Why modern day Songkran is more like movie ‘The Purge’

webfact

Why modern day Songkran is more like movie ‘The Purge’

By Dan Cheeseman 

thepurge.jpg?w=660&ssl=1

Songkran is on the horizon and already many in the expat circles are planning their escape. Myself included. Put traditional Songkran to one side, the carnage that now goes on through the streets day and night make it a death trap.

Think I am joking? A total of 390 people were killed in road accidents during the seven-day monitoring period for the Songkran holiday last year, which was an 11% improvement on the year before. Most of these deaths are motorcycle related. It is not only the fatalities but an increase in youth violence and sexual assaults that are reported each year. How can this still be acceptable in a modern world?

It reminds me of the Hollywood horror movie ‘The Purge’. The film story line is simple, the government sanctions an annual 12-hour period during which all criminal activity — including murder — is legal. The usual peace loving population are allowed to vent of steam during this period and this allows – or so the story suggests – a more peace loving community during the rest of the year.

For anyone outside of Thailand to experience Songkran with streets gridlock with trucks with party revelers drinking hard and throwing ice cold water on passerby’s and motorbikes it would strike them as madness. 

Full story: https://danaboutthailand.com/2018/03/15/why-modern-day-songkran-is-more-like-movie-the-purge/

-- DAN ABOUT THAILAND 2018-03-16

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

Avoid the tourist hotspots and it is still traditional and fun.

7 days of madness in Pattaya for example is all about the money and getting wasted.

Nothing to do with Songkran whatsoever.

LOL. Doesn't matter where you go you are going to get wet.

Even in the country they line up to throw buckets of water on passing buses.

I used to love Songkran in Pattaya- great fun, till some idiot started the craze for putting ice in the water. Now I will be hiding for the duration.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

My first Songkran in Chiang Mai 10 years ago was more then enough to convince me to stay the hell off my motorcycle and just stay home during this week of total madness. 

I won't be participating in C M even if I wanted to, as they take dirty water out of the moat to throw on people.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, idman said:

I saw them jumping out in the road to dose unsuspecting motorbike riders and as a result there were numerous falls.

I agree with most of your post, except it's just as much Thai hoons as farangs.

Anyway, specific to the quote- there are NO unsuspecting motorbike riders in Pattaya, unless tourists too ignorant to see what is going on and not use the bike, or Thais that haven't left their room in their entire life till Songkran.

The only surprising thing to me is that more of them don't use raincoats ( cheap in any 7 11 ) to avoid getting their clothes soaked.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Doesn't matter where you go you are going to get wet.

Even in the country they line up to throw buckets of water on passing buses.

I used to love Songkran in Pattaya- great fun, till some idiot started the craze for putting ice in the water. Now I will be hiding for the duration.

I have no issue with getting wet, that's all part of it. In the village it's just more restrained and fun.

Usually head to the village for the real Songkran and then back down to Jomtien for the 19th and the festival.

Just can't stand 7 days of madness in Jomtien/Pattaya.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

I have no issue with getting wet, that's all part of it. In the village it's just more restrained and fun.

Usually head to the village for the real Songkran and then back down to Jomtien for the 19th and the festival.

Just can't stand 7 days of madness in Jomtien/Pattaya.

I think it's 11 days now.

If you look on the Pattaya forum there's a long thread about it by JSixpack.

An ever increasing number of idiot participants (both ethnic and introduced) celebrating Songkran have taken for many the semblance of fun out of the equation, and inserted recklessness that impacts (often fatally) on others.

Am surprised travel insurance isn't an exclusion during the period, along with scooter hire, para-sailing, walking on a pedestrian crossing?

This phenomenon of idiotic behaviour is not just relegated to Thailand but seems to be pervasive for many celebrations throughout the globe.

Wish I could explain to our cat whilst when darkness falls and he is quaking under the bed for three weeks, as idiots celebrate November 5th (Guy Fawkes) well beyond date.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

It’s a unique and fun holiday that a lot of old geezers moan about for the next month on TVF. I like Bangkok’s 3 days of water throwing and recklessness. I don’t know what traffic the OP is yacking on about Bangkok is dead for at least 5/6 days. Almost quiet on the streets. It’s also mainly in just a few areas in Bangkok as well. The ice water is extremely refreshing since it’s sooo hot out. Maybe some of you haters that brag about how many years you have locked yourself up should go out, buy a huge gun and water fight!!  It’s extremely therapeutic! Makes you feel exhilarated! You can take out all your pent up anger and aim your guns right at women and children if you want or Chinese or Russians or DT supporters or surprise spray someone on a motor bike that should have known Songkran was coming for the past year but still decided to drive one. 

"Pent up anger and aiming at women and children..."

So, your that guy. 

At least 92% of your post was accurate.

Edited by HLover
Added content
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, HLover said:

"Pent up anger and aiming at women and children..."

So, your that guy. 

At least 92% of your post was accurate.

I don’t  get your comment. I have a lot of fun with the kids on Silom in BKK and some of their moms as well. We spray water at each other and some of those kids catch me off guard a little later and get me good! 

There are also a lot of posters on here who do seem to have pent up anger towards women as you may know. Some against their own kids too. 

1 hour ago, Paul Catton said:

You are the self-centred reckless participant who has jumped on a recent bandwagon exuding fun without consideration.

May you not find yourself  having to use any motorcycle through unplanned necessity and then be a statistic with Facebook pictures of your corpse being proffered and adding to serious traffic congestion already exasperated.

There seems to be thousands and thousands having fun at Songkrsn so I don’t think it’s just me lol. How do you get “ self centered” out of having fun spraying water which is what you are SUPPOSED to do on this fun holiday. I don’t have Facebook either. I don’t like it. Why on earth would you ride around on a bike in the water throwing areas because of a “unplanned necessity” ?? Take a taxi, ambulance or your friends car. 

21 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

There seems to be thousands and thousands having fun at Songkrsn so I don’t think it’s just me lol. How do you get “ self centered” out of having fun spraying water which is what you are SUPPOSED to do on this fun holiday. I don’t have Facebook either. I don’t like it. Why on earth would you ride around on a bike in the water throwing areas because of a “unplanned necessity” ?? Take a taxi, ambulance or your friends car. 

Look at life through your own narrow perspective enlightened by the immediate circle you keep that reinforces same conduct by now is far too many.,  

Speakers on utility vehicles were sparse and relegated to City use for advertisement of Muay Thai boxing ventures.

Now every <deleted> wants to impose themselves in any neighbourhood

exuberanting same.

It is easy for participants to try and absolve themselves of their inconsideration, and waging a general warfare using water bombardment to persons needing to go about their daily business.

The festival has gone too far with idiocy prevailing actions and needs to be brought back to intention and Sanook for all.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ostyan said:

I don't like this updated way of Songkran either but are you sure that our holidays are the same?  Easter, Christmas and the rest are they the same as they were, say, twenty years ago?

Songkran has been this way for at least 20 years and probably longer. Hardly "updated".

I fly into BKK on 30th March, after a well-deserved holiday from my job in Myanmar.

Detailed health check, go to the bank, buy some things, then fly out on 4th April for a week's dirt-bike riding in northern Laos.

Back to BKK on the 11th, buy a few more things and fly back on the 12th to enjoy the water festival in Myanmar and some more riding in the Shan hills and Inle Lake.

Sorted! :)

8 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Look at life through your own narrow perspective enlightened by the immediate circle you keep that reinforces same conduct by now is far too many.,  

Speakers on utility vehicles were sparse and relegated to City use for advertisement of Muay Thai boxing ventures.

Now every <deleted> wants to impose themselves in any neighbourhood

exuberanting same.

It is easy for participants to try and absolve themselves of their inconsideration, and waging a general warfare using water bombardment to persons needing to go about their daily business.

The festival has gone too far with idiocy prevailing actions and needs to be brought back to intention and Sanook for all.

My first Songkran was in the 90s, and it's probably been going on long before that. Most of the Thais involved in it probably weren't even alive when it became as it is today. I don't think it could be worse now than it was in the 90s as it was full on then. 

The only difference, and the reason I don't participate now is the ice.

As for speakers, in the early 90s I was extremely annoyed by a van selling fruit with a very loud speaker that kept pace with me as I walked along Jomptien Beach Rd.

I'm more disturbed by unmuffled m'bikes and longtails, though.