Your waist matters if you want to fly THAI Dreamliner

webfact

Don't these seats cost over $100,000 to manufacture ? I'd suggest that these fatties have to sign a contract when checking in if they damage the seat they have to pay, apply to all classes. 

I'm surprised some fool hasn't come along screaming this is a medical condition being obese 55555, perhaps their at Swenson's now lol

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I was wondering why there is a need for them in business but not economy.

Is there a different set up in economy?

Yes, there is a hard plastic shell surrounding the seat, including around your head. That is why you must also wear a shoulder strap during takeoff and landing.

Bullie,,,,, I suggest that you read the article before taking the mickey out of Thai

The new US Federal Aviation rules have been applied as they will be in a lot of airlines flying 

at least this aircraft type.

If you have not read about it there are a few airlines in the Pacific now charging by the KG as well

56 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

The easy way to avoid this is use extenders. Now Thai always has bad press and I for one will not fly Thai for this very reason

I am 36 inches but its just another reason why Thai airways is not a good airline They do not care about the flyer

What about a pregnant woman or as this article says people with children that must sit on their laps

No pregnant woman that advanced should ever put the belt over the foetus. What do you think would happen to it if there was a sudden drop and all her weight went onto it?

Children- I don't want any of them near me in a plane. I hope they bring in child free flights soon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bubba said:

Yes, there is a hard plastic shell surrounding the seat, including around your head. That is why you must also wear a shoulder strap during takeoff and landing.

But we also wear belts in business class. I’ve never felt the need for an airbag even when flying in worst of conditions. 

I suppose there must be a greater danger hence the regulations, but I’m not seeing it. 

On the other hand I'm not prepared to fly economy to find out...

If you have ever had a big fat, sweaty, smelly tub of lard come down the aisle sideways and then try to squeeze into the economy seat next to you without taking half of your seat you will appreciate an airline limiting the size of inconsiderate obese bastards. I fly Thai!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

But we also wear belts in business class. I’ve never felt the need for an airbag even when flying in worst of conditions. 

I suppose there must be a greater danger hence the regulations, but I’m not seeing it. 

On the other hand I'm not prepared to fly economy to find out...

That's right – in some business class cabins, you must wear both a seatbelt and a shoulder belt for takeoff and landing.

I cannot argue one way or another regarding air bags, but presumably FAA have decided they are necessary and that is fine with me. You can be sure they are not inexpensive accessories and they are added weight as well, so the airlines did not install them just for grins.

I've asked to be moved before when my "neighbour" was nearly half over my seat. The stewardess obliged quite happily.

If some one is wider than the seat they have booked then they should pay for two. On the flip side airlines should also have, as already proposed in this thread, a few extra wide seats for extra wide people. They can charge whatever premium they deem necessary.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No pregnant woman that advanced should ever put the belt over the foetus. What do you think would happen to it if there was a sudden drop and all her weight went onto it?

Children- I don't want any of them near me in a plane. I hope they bring in child free flights soon.

United Airlines is offering it They strap you to the wings

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Er, so where does my son go, when I fly next month to the UK with my wife? In the cargo hold? Or on a separate Kiddies only plane?

Jeez.................

This publication deals with these special oblique facing seats and their airbag seatbelt. It does not mention waist restrictions but there may simply be purely operation reasons for the waist limit. With normal belts you can use extenders but that may not be possible with an airbag seatbelt.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2015/04/28/2015-09784/special-conditions-boeing-model-787-9-dynamic-test-requirements-for-single-occupant-oblique

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nss70 said:

I've asked to be moved before when my "neighbour" was nearly half over my seat. The stewardess obliged quite happily.

If some one is wider than the seat they have booked then they should pay for two. On the flip side airlines should also have, as already proposed in this thread, a few extra wide seats for extra wide people. They can charge whatever premium they deem necessary.

Given that some countries are approaching a majority of obese people in the population, they'd have to have a lot more than a "few" extra wide seats.

1 hour ago, manchega said:

anyone else here complained when a fatty sits next to them.  I got moved when someone invaded my space, I told the airline they should pay for two seats if thats the space they need.

they tried to make out I was being unfair when the woman started crying and saying it was not her fault,

they moved me before I finished explaining how the energy balance works.

you can have a dodgy thyroid all you like, but if you ain't putting shit in it will not build up will it you lardass

good one thai air, glad some things are sensible, lets get that going coach class too.

Some airlines do require obese people to purchase two seats:

Airline Obesity Policies

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullie said:

And then Thai airways wonders why it is loosing money... Now I now at least one airline company that will never ever fly direct on the United States of America!

I understand that Thai airways likes to exude Thainess, but this is ridiculous. The days are long gone when Thai people were small, skinny and nimble, especially the ones that can afford a western diet.

And if the above picture displays a -very small looking- business class seat, I shudder to think what it will look like in coach....

You make a good point about the size of the modern Thai: some balloons about these days as they catch up with the rest of us.

As far as a 787 is concerned, I avoid it as much as possible. The 787 is the airline's favourite plane whereas the A380 is the passenger's favourite plane.

Given that I am taller than average, the extra pitch on the A380 even in economy is more than welcome. No one who has a large waist will feel comfortable in any way in a 787.

4 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Er, so where does my son go, when I fly next month to the UK with my wife? In the cargo hold? Or on a separate Kiddies only plane?

Jeez.................

She puts the seat belt above the foetus. Where do you think she would put it?

Jeez...........................

:saai:

Edited by thaibeachlovers

2 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Jeez.................

Apart from business class on a Thai Airways 787-900? I think you will have many choices, including economy class on that aircraft.

Policies like these are set for your safety and the safety of others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bullie said:

And then Thai airways wonders why it is loosing money... Now I now at least one airline company that will never ever fly direct on the United States of America!

I understand that Thai airways likes to exude Thainess, but this is ridiculous. The days are long gone when Thai people were small, skinny and nimble, especially the ones that can afford a western diet.

And if the above picture displays a -very small looking- business class seat, I shudder to think what it will look like in coach....

You really need to take a long look in the mirror and be honest with yourself.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

She puts the seat belt above the foetus. Where do you think she would put it?

:saai:

?????????????? He's 12 years old.   ?????????????????????

7 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

This is what you wrote........

1 minute ago, todlad said:

Don't argue but every 787 I have been on squeezes me in and every A380 I have been on lets me breathe out!

Again, that has nothing to do with the aircraft or its manufacturer.

Imagine for a moment if RyanAir started flying A380s.

Edited by bubba
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thaiguzzi said:

?????????????? He's 12 years old.   ?????????????????????

This is what you wrote........

LOL. I thought you were referring to the bit about seat belts. Sorry about that.

As for your child at 12 years old I would hope you trained him well enough that he doesn't disturb other passengers.

My comments, which I had assumed people would understand, were aimed at people taking uncontrolled, spoiled, small, bratty children that scream constantly and annoy other people. 

• Like 1