terrible rental experience (ongoing)

expatsailer

So, for the last 2 years my wife and I have been living in the Nong Prue area of Pattaya. The land lords asked us about 6 months ago if we wanted to buy the house? If not can you move out in April. Of course we said no. When we first saw the house it didn't have a/c's, so we asked if we bought some if we could install and remove when we left "sure, no problem". Now fast forward to the last 2 days. We are in the process of moving and of course the landlord wants to keep the deposit (7,000 baht). I call BS and tell my wife to tell tax and revenue if they don't want to fork up the deposit. The landlord is claiming the house looks "old" now (although we are SUPER clean and took care of the house like we owned it). She is also trying to refuse my wife to take the aircons out of the house in lieu of repairs (even though we already removed them gently) claiming the repairs are over 10,000 baht. and by repairs she means a couple screw holes in the wall from aircon and my tv.....

I had a similar experience....I took everything that I had installed away apart from a sliding glass door which was no use to me anyway....filled every single hole with wall putty and color matched paint....they came to inspect the damage...there was none....so got deposit back.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, johng said:

filled every single hole with wall putty and color matched paint....they came to inspect the damage...there was none....so got deposit back.

Lesson learned. it's unfortunate that I'm at sea right now and she's dealing with this.... actually I'm not sure I would be able to keep my composure if I was home

As i write this the owner and my wife are arguing in front of the house. I think we still have till the end of the month. So, I'm gonna suggest my wife just camp out in the house till the end and maybe have someone come fix it when they are not around.  The landlord of course is trying to pull that "we don't want anyone else to repair" BS so they can get 10,000 for 300 baht of repairs. For a country that's majority Buddhist, they sure are some crooked folks.

2 hours ago, expatsailer said:

As i write this the owner and my wife are arguing in front of the house. I think we still have till the end of the month. So, I'm gonna suggest my wife just camp out in the house till the end and maybe have someone come fix it when they are not around.  The landlord of course is trying to pull that "we don't want anyone else to repair" BS so they can get 10,000 for 300 baht of repairs. For a country that's majority Buddhist, they sure are some crooked folks.

So the same problems with landlords as in the West.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

You didn't really expect to get your deposit back did you? Over 2 years it's only 300 baht a month.

It actually came out to be more then the deposit. The landlord showed up with 7 other Thais and refused to let my wife and daughter take the A/C's from the house. saying that the repairs are more then the 7,000 deposit. which is utter BS. Just a typical Thai trying to pull one over on good people. Police called, won't do anything of course unless they get a few baht. After a day of fighting back and forth the wife and landlord signed yet another BS contract saying she can hold one of the smaller A/C's in lieu of cash. In case the repairs are more (which we all know the landlord will make more BS). It's just unfortunate that I'm working and not there right now. My daughter was pretty upset about the whole ordeal.

9 minutes ago, expatsailer said:

Hence why my wife and I are now looking to buy. That's another post.

Well if you thought that you are having problems with the rental, then be prepared for even more if you are looking to buy here.

I have owned two houses here and rented a few apartments and have had absolutely no problems with the rentals, but then perhaps I'm different to you, and I say this because if I install anything in my apartment, such as a new aircon, which I have just done, I asked for permission to do so and tell the owner that when I leave, he can keep the aircon unit, but only if it is my decision to leave.

Buying a house here is fraught with problems, because you can't own the land, however your wife can, but then again this site and many others are full of stories where circumstances change and marriages fail and the farang has very little going for him if the divorce/separation is not amicable.

Anyway, good luck in whatever you do.

11 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well if you thought that you are having problems with the rental, then be prepared for even more if you are looking to buy here.

Buying a house here is fraught with problems, because you can't own the land, however your wife can, but then again this site and many others are full of stories where circumstances change and marriages fail and the farang has very little going for him if the divorce/separation is not amicable.

Relationships can fail wherever you are, and you don't walk out of a failed marriage in the west without having to pay out the spouse. If you buy a house in Thailand you take out a 30 year lease and that at least gives you a place to live, owning the house or not. You hear all the disaster stories, but there's plenty of successful relationships as well. In my village more than 50% of the houses (more than 20 in a village of 40 houses) have falang/Thai occupants, in my 8 years I haven't seen one break up or be sold.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

However losing a small deposit as opposed to potential millions from buying off plan and project not finished etc would be easier to live with

Are you talking condos? Don't know of anyone that buys a house off a plan.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I'm more concerned about WHERE to buy a house. I don't want to buy a house in Pattaya only to realize there is better places for a farang to live. The issue with living in a village (my wife floated that idea a few times to me) is the language barrier. Although I am studying to learn more Thai on my own. Hua Hin and BKK is out of the question.

1 minute ago, expatsailer said:

I'm more concerned about WHERE to buy a house. I don't want to buy a house in Pattaya only to realize there is better places for a farang to live. The issue with living in a village (my wife floated that idea a few times to me) is the language barrier. Although I am studying to learn more Thai on my own. Hua Hin and BKK is out of the question.

I live in a gated village in Pattaya with security and maintenance. I have been back to my partners village in Isaan a couple of times and there's no way I could live there full time, I would die from boredom. I still want some facilities like good shopping centres, movie theatres, decent hospitals etc, her village has a 7/11 and that's about it.

32 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Relationships can fail wherever you are, and you don't walk out of a failed marriage in the west without having to pay out the spouse. If you buy a house in Thailand you take out a 30 year lease and that at least gives you a place to live, owning the house or not. You hear all the disaster stories, but there's plenty of successful relationships as well. In my village more than 50% of the houses (more than 20 in a village of 40 houses) have falang/Thai occupants, in my 8 years I haven't seen one break up or be sold.

In general I agree with your sentiments, however even if you have a 30 year lease and your wife wants you out of the place, then you are not going to have an easy time staying there because family/relatives/friends will ensure that your stay will be unbearable.

24 minutes ago, xylophone said:

In general I agree with your sentiments, however even if you have a 30 year lease and your wife wants you out of the place, then you are not going to have an easy time staying there because family/relatives/friends will ensure that your stay will be unbearable.

That's a 2 way street.

14 minutes ago, transam said:

I did.....:stoner:

It depends on where you live. In my case there were new villages with completed houses popping up everywhere, it was just a question of finding a style you liked at a price that suited.

17 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Me too...

Not sure what he’s on about??

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm on about buying a brand new completed house in a new village. No way I would have laid down money for a plan of a house, not in Thailand. You only have to see how many people got burned buying condos off plans. If you build out in the sticks, different story.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

It depends on where you live. In my case there were new villages with completed houses popping up everywhere, it was just a question of finding a style you liked at a price that suited.

Mine is a stand alone house, nooooo moo thingy, but I knew the design of the house they were offering. I changed most of the internal stuff, walls, doors etc, and it came out OK..

Just now, transam said:

Mine is a stand alone house, nooooo moo thingy, but I knew the design of the house they were offering. I changed most of the internal stuff, walls, doors etc, and it came out OK..

You had no choice but to build off a plan if you wanted to live where you do. I had a choice of probably more than 40 new villages around the area I wanted to live. I didn't want to wait 6 months for a house to be completed, or have builders trying to screw more money out of me.

20 hours ago, expatsailer said:

Honestly, I've never had an issue like this in the west. Mostly it's difficult to find GOOD renters in the west.

Good point, my experiences as a landlord in Thailand (all farang renters) pushed me to get out of that market.