Thai Embassy London

I was wondering if anything has changed at the Thai Embassy in London regarding requirements, waiting times etc. I will move to Thailand in the summer.

Last time I used their services for a Non-O back in 2012 and it turned out to be a piece of cake.

I too have had a look at their website but I thought a recent first hand experience could be helpful.

Thanks

You won’t get a Non ‘O’ based on retirement unless you are in receipt of state pension. If you’re under state retirement age you'll need to apply for a Non ‘O-A’, or get a Tourist Visa and apply for a Non ‘O’ once you’re in Thailand.

You can apply by post. If you apply in person you have to return the next day to collect the passport.

14 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You won’t get a Non ‘O’ based on retirement unless you are in receipt of state pension. If you’re under state retirement age you'll need to apply for a Non ‘O-A’, or get a Tourist Visa and apply for a Non ‘O’ once you’re in Thailand.

You can apply by post. If you apply in person you have to return the next day to collect the passport.

How about occupational Govt pensions that pay out at 40 (forces) or 55 (Plod, Civil Service)?

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

How about occupational Govt pensions that pay out at 40 (forces) or 55 (Plod, Civil Service)?

I don't know, but I believe the minimum age is 60 for a Non 'O' based on retirement (being a pensioner).

It's better getting a non 'O-A' instead of a non 'O' as you can stay in Thailand for nearly two years without the need for an extension of stay. And any pension can be used to apply for the 'O-A'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

I am doing the spouse version. I don't mind going there in person to apply. I am not sure how safe the application by post is.

36 minutes ago, garrya said:

I am doing the spouse version. I don't mind going there in person to apply. I am not sure how safe the application by post is.

Ok, sorry, I assumed you were asking about retirement.

The only supporting documents you need for a non ‘O’ as a spouse is a copy of your marriage certificate and your wife’s ID or passport.

Post is safe. You can send it recorded and it is returned by special delivery. It usually takes less than a week and beats two visits to the embassy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, garrya said:

No problem to do it by post. Many people have done it without a problem.

Info for doing it in person or in person can be found here. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742

If you go to he page for non immigrant visas ignore the 1400 pound requirement for being married to a Thai since they not ask for it (old error on website).

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem to do it by post. Many people have done it without a problem.

Info for doing it in person or in person can be found here. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742

If you go to he page for non immigrant visas ignore the 1400 pound requirement for being married to a Thai since they not ask for it (old error on website).

Thanks.

12 hours ago, Happy enough said:

a friend got a multi a few weeks ago by post from London. said it was easy, just copies of marriage cert and his mrs id card. he said it only took a few days for passport to arrive back

A friend of mines documents were lost by Royal Mail tracked delivery when he sent them in for a driving licence replacement.

He got some money as compensation but he had had a hard time getting a new passport.

This is why I am hesitant about requesting visa by post.

Royal Mail is not the most reliable company for sure.