PM urges Thais to wear period costumes for outings

Jonathan Fairfield

On 3/17/2018 at 11:49 AM, rkidlad said:

Ah, nationalism. 

Ah culture and history you mean.  Look at this video of the Lopburi festival where everybody dresses in historical traditional Thai costumes. 

Or this one

Or here in Issan.  The same idea

It's called tradition. Not everybody wants hip hop, EDM, UDM, techno or electropop and all the trappings, of western casual sports clothing, flip flops and vests. 

Edited by The manic
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, The manic said:

Ah culture and history you mean.  Look at this video of the Lopburi festival where everybody dresses in historical traditional Thai costumes. 

Or this one

Or here in Issan.  The same idea

It's called tradition. Not everybody wants hip hop, EDM, UDM, techno or electropop and all the trappings, of western casual sports clothing, flip flops and vests. 

I’m all for tradition, but I’m a much bigger advocate of ‘free will’. People get to decide what they wear. You can blame Weatern culture all you want. At the end of the day, people should be allowed the free will to dress as they please. If people copying other people’s cultures offends you, maybe you should wear their clothing to balance this imaginary war out.

You’ll find that that people will wear flip flops, shirts and vests because it makes sense. Thailand is hot and they’re practical. No need to focus on where the fashion came from. If you find yourself reluctantly putting on a piece of clothing and then asking yourself, “which country and culture did this clothing originate?”, then I’d say you’re doing life all wrong. If you’re putting on clothes and thinking, “I like this” or “this feels comfortable”, I’d say you’re applying common sense. 

This isn’t an ‘us Vs them’ thing.

8 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I’m all for tradition, but I’m a much bigger advocate of ‘free will’. People get to decide what they wear. You can blame Weatern culture all you want. At the end of the day, people should be allowed the free will to dress as they please. If people copying other people’s cultures offends you, maybe you should wear their clothing to balance this imaginary war out.

You’ll find that that people will wear flip flops, shirts and vests because it makes sense. Thailand is hot and they’re practical. No need to focus on where the fashion came from. If you find yourself reluctantly putting on a piece of clothing and then asking yourself, “which country and culture did this clothing originate?”, then I’d say you’re doing life all wrong. If you’re putting on clothes and thinking, “I like this” or “this feels comfortable”, I’d say you’re applying common sense. 

This isn’t an ‘us Vs them’ thing.

I have seen Thais all over the world reclaim their cultural pride on occasions. Nobody is forced to wear traditional clothes in Loburi during the King Narai festival. Nobody forces the locals in Issan during the rocket parades to wear their traditional clothing.  And when songkran is celebrated throughout the world by Thai comunities nobody is forcing them. As for the vile flip flop, base ball cap and singlet.. It is, a matter of American/Australian cultural hegemony. An ugly, stupid lazy dress style. 

33 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

Well the Thai have certainly embraced it.

Some yes. But they can dress properly, traditional or otherwise when they want. I never  saw a Thai man or woman going to to work dressed like an impoverished beach bum or homeless bag lady. 

13 minutes ago, The manic said:

Some yes. But they can dress properly, traditional or otherwise when they want. I never  saw a Thai man or woman going to to work dressed like an impoverished beach bum or homeless bag lady. 

You have obviously never set foot in Thailand then.

• Like 1

This wearing traditional costume to go on an outing is all very well, but I am going to feel a right plonker going out for a beer on Songkran at the local "river beach" dressed in a pinstripe suit, regimental tie, bowler hat and carrying a neatly rolled umbrella!

• Haha 1

On 17/03/2018 at 12:01 PM, colinneil said:

The la-la land kid strikes again.:cheesy:

So he wants people wearing period costume, does not mean all the fit women going topless, like they used to do.

Yeah, it gets a bit silly to try and apply it right around 80 to 100 or more years ago.

On 25/03/2018 at 1:54 PM, JAG said:

This wearing traditional costume to go on an outing is all very well, but I am going to feel a right plonker going out for a beer on Songkran at the local "river beach" dressed in a pinstripe suit, regimental tie, bowler hat and carrying a neatly rolled umbrella!

You missed the carnation in the lapel and financial times, you scruff. ??

On 3/25/2018 at 7:37 PM, Fish Head Soup said:

You have obviously never set foot in Thailand then.

Lived and worked here and living here now.  Thais do not we're flip flops for office work. Most companies have uniforms. Thais value smartness and cleansiness.  Take a look around Bangkok when you are on public transport and see what people are wearing. Not beach bum clothing I assure you. 

Edited by The manic

I should always look beyond the cutoff headlines on forums.

I read "PM urges Thais to wear period ...." on the tab. I mentally filled in the rest of the sentence with the word pants. It also kinda works with "for outings". Worth noting that it never occurred to me that the PM would never be that imaginative.

Edited by Mexlark

On 3/25/2018 at 6:41 PM, The manic said:

I have seen Thais all over the world reclaim their cultural pride on occasions. Nobody is forced to wear traditional clothes in Loburi during the King Narai festival. Nobody forces the locals in Issan during the rocket parades to wear their traditional clothing.  And when songkran is celebrated throughout the world by Thai comunities nobody is forcing them. As for the vile flip flop, base ball cap and singlet.. It is, a matter of American/Australian cultural hegemony. An ugly, stupid lazy dress style. 

Every government worker is forced to wear Trad dress so stop the misinformation please.

I tried once to count up the number of those expensive silk Prem jackets that Prayuth wears. I gave up at about 100 when my eyes started hurting. The Imelda Marcos of silk jackets. Still, I'm sure he pays for them all himself.

• Haha 1