More Wi-Fi hotspots for Phuket as plan to tag tourists mulled

Jonathan Fairfield

How to0 destroy tourism in one move, are they really that imbecilic or is it just someone trying to make a name for themselves. They talk about Major Generals not having enough experience, I think Government Ministers have not even graduated from Anuban 

In Florida they had a special license plate holder on rental cars for tourists. This was a big red flag to criminals so they knew who to rob, and killing a bunch of people in the process....eventually the plates went bye bye and the robber is stopped. Instead of a wristband which points you out as a tourist, why not a concealed anal probe? And the first person to test it out will be the PM.

On 17-3-2018 at 4:36 PM, CGW said:

The naivety here is surprising! were all tracked anyway! computer, smart phone, bank cards, convenience cards, cctv, etc - probably worse in your own country, the Thais have the same technology, they just don't know how to use it so they come up with crap like this!

" The famous Thailand 4.0"...

2 hours ago, mikosan said:

The whole idea is clearly ludicrous and will never happen.  The usual case of some dimwit opening mouth without engaging brain.  Can you imagine what it would do for the tourist industry in Phuket?  It would close down overnight.

"Without engaging brain"...Dream on, they clearly have no brain...proven again.

Digital Economy and Society Minister Pichet Durongkaveroj seems to have a toasted brain. Does he seriously think that this extremely stupid idea will ever materialize?
I am sure that Pichet must have travelled in the past and I wonder how he would look, if in the country of aliens, kaeks, checks or elsewhere they would mandatorily force him to put on a wristband.

Nothing learnt - the present government in general as well as (former minister) Kobkarn or (still sitting) Pichet in particular are not aware of social media. The tourism media outside Thailand will have a field day on this glorious proof of idiocy. It will never realize but the damage is done; either Thailand is so unsafe that everyone needs to be tagged "for their own security" or fights with North Korea over the most Stalinist state on the planet. Either way - well done, Pichet, you made my day. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Digital Economy and Society Minister Pichet Durongkaveroj seems to have a toasted brain. Does he seriously think that this extremely stupid idea will ever materialize?
I am sure that Pichet must have travelled in the past and I wonder how he would look, if in the country of aliens, kaeks, checks or elsewhere they would mandatorily force him to put on a wristband.

Nothing learnt - the present government in general as well as (former minister) Kobkarn or (still sitting) Pichet in particular are not aware of social media. The tourism media outside Thailand will have a field day on this glorious proof of idiocy. It will never realize but the damage is done; either Thailand is so unsafe that everyone needs to be tagged "for their own security" or fights with North Korea over the most Stalinist state on the planet. Either way - well done, Pichet, you made my day. 

Agreed.

But maybe nobody notices or knows of him so he is just "grandstanding" himself (AKA 15mins of fame) with his ridiculous idea? :whistling: 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2018 at 4:50 AM, Maverell said:

'develop the uses of wristbands to track tourists '

I can see it now - as the planes arrive and you go through immigration you get a stamp and a wristband, then when you leave you don't get out unless you hand back your wristband or pay a fine.....

Can't see the idea going down to well however 'well intentioned'.

Wonder how long this will take for tourist to learn what is waiting for them when they get off the plane. I'm sure this will boost the number of people wanting to visit. They'll advertise the WiFi and pop the wristband surprise upon arrival. Can't see this lasting for very long after the word gets out.

23 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Agreed.

But maybe nobody notices or knows of him so he is just "grandstanding" himself (AKA 15mins of fame) with his ridiculous idea? :whistling: 

"AKA 15mins of fame" - In his own imagination! Absolutely unbelievably nonsensical idea that could only have come from the brain of a child - oh, sorry, forgot where I was for a moment! Next item on the agenda? "Let's hang on to the tourist's passports at the airport for "safe keeping"

17 minutes ago, sambum said:

"AKA 15mins of fame" - In his own imagination! Absolutely unbelievably nonsensical idea that could only have come from the brain of a child - oh, sorry, forgot where I was for a moment! Next item on the agenda? "Let's hang on to the tourist's passports at the airport for "safe keeping"

:thumbsup:

If he had another brain it would be lonely.

I wonder what the percentage increase in tourist figures will be forthcoming from TAT this month? I reckon in excess of 12%, but that's o conservative estimate!

Edited by sambum

On 3/17/2018 at 2:04 AM, Luckysilk said:

And let's track Thais in our home country's and see how they feel.

I am sure that as soon as Trump and Sessions get through deporting the dreamers they will turn their attention to the Asians here that have overstayed their tourist visas.  

Edited by Balance
no edit changed mind

As usual the paranoid nutters go right off yet again. 

Read the article again chaps..... The words were 'may consider'. I doubt it will happen for quite a while in that format.... If ever.  The facial technology combined with smartphone pretty well removes the need for tracking bracelets. 

To the 1984 quoters....... I sincerely hope you don't use any apps on your smartphone. If you do, please  revisit the permissions you gave the apps.  Your phone can turn your camera and microphone on any time the app decides to,  it can make and receive calls without your permission, send messages, change data stored on your phone etc, etc

I think it was Zuckerberg on tour recently with both the camera and microphone on his device covered up. He knows. 

In the very near future you will not need to go through passport control in Australia.  They are proposing to use facial recognition solely. 

If you think a dust mask can fool this tech then you need to think again.  To beat the system you would need major craniofacial surgery to move your eyeballs,cheeks,nose from their present position.  Not something the average pensioner posting ( or many other people) on this forum will be doing in a hurry.