Msn Messenger Always Pops Up...

ashacat

This is very annoying, everytime I turn on my computer I get automatically signed into MSN messenger.

I have gone into the options in messenger and deselected the box that signs you in upon start-up and I have gone into "manage add ons" in internet options (Internet Explorer) and disabled messenger but it still does it!!

When I try to select "exit" from the messenger icon in tray (bottom left of the screen) it says:

"There are other applications currently using features running provided by Windows Messenger. You must close these application before........ These applications could be Outlook, Outlook express, Internet Explorer and MSN explorer"

I am currently running Internet Explorer and Outlook...

Any suggestions as to how to get rid of this annoying problem?

Thanks

If you don't use messenger this is what I do. Go to C:\Program Files\Messenger and rename msmsgs.exe to msmsgs-old.exe or anything you like. Also msmsgin.exe to msmsgin-old.exe. Won't show up again until you rename it back.

If you don't use Messenger at all, go to the Control Panel, Ad and Remove Programs and/or Windows Components and uninstall/deactivate Messenger.