Going home, tips?

B0nkers

After 2 1/2 years, I'm finally going back to my home country. Couple questions:

Do I need to be aware of any exit fees of any sort at the airport? I'll have 1 day overstay - 500BHT. Anything else?

I have VAT receipt for a laptop I just bought a couple weeks ago. Where do I go at Bangkok airport to get a refund, anyone know how long it may take?

I bought a few shirts from the discount mall in Pattaya (Mike mall). I have no idea if any are knock-offs or not.. is this something I should be concerned about when returning to Canada?

Thanks in advance!

9 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

To get your Vat refund firstly you need to take the tax receipt and goods to the inspection desk up near gate 10 area and get the paperwork stamped and they inspect the laptop (pre-immigration). Then after going through immigration there are 2 vat refund stations, clearly signposted. But if you forget step 1 then you get no refund.

It must be stressed that it is a two step process you must get the paperwork stamped BEFORE going thru immigration (If you forget you can't go back) then after immigration you go to the refund counter to get the refund - Give yourself plenty of time for this as you will most like be in a huge "line" of Chinese tourist doing the same thing.... :dry:

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

It must be stressed that it is a two step process you must get the paperwork stamped BEFORE going thru immigration (If you forget you can't go back) then after immigration you go to the refund counter to get the refund - Give yourself plenty of time for this as you will most like be in a huge "line" of Chinese tourist doing the same thing.... :dry:

Go early.  I have waited till I had to decide that catching my plane was more inportant than VAT refund.   If they make it complicated and slow then they do not have to give so much money back.  Obvious.  Just how I would run it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eaglekott said:

What type of VISA did you have for your 2.5 Years? I might be wrong but I believe the only visa that enable you to receive a VAT refund is a Tourist VISA.

Tourist, yes. Spent 8 months of the 2.5 years in the Philippines, so had various types of tourist visas from several borders

Thanks all for the VAT tips.I was actually 1/2 expect some sort of exit fee as well, I just don't want to withdraw any more Baht than needed as exchange rates are terrible anywhere you go. Stopping in the Philippines first for a month, Baht would be useless. 

7 hours ago, torrzent said:

Look at where has gotten you.....would think twice about following any advice you promulgate!

That comment makes no sense. Making up stuff about strangers says more about your life than anyone else.

23 hours ago, dotpoom said:

You came for an extended holiday... Just treat the trip home the same way... like a holiday.. Would you be worried about the shirts if you were going home for on holiday.... Who's to know the difference?

I guess we are all different, never ever crossed my mind the things you are concerned about when ever I took a trip home.

You came for an extended holiday... Just treat the trip home the same way... like a holiday..

yer right :cheesy::cheesy: good luck with that!!

2 hours ago, Justfine said:

That comment makes no sense. Making up stuff about strangers says more about your life than anyone else.

You are a living case of Res ipsa loquitur.  Calling people on an anonymous web forum strangers is a bit of a tautological statement.  Better head back to the troll drawing board "mate"

Edited by torrzent

• 2 weeks later...