Beating at the temple - husband and wife set to face serious child abuse charges

webfact

Beating at the temple - husband and wife set to face serious child abuse charges

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A husband and wife in Panat Nikhom, Chonburi are set to face assault and child abuse charges following the beating incident at Wat Thung Hiang at the weekend.

Two boys were beaten in front of other children then tied to a tree in the temple grounds after they were allegedly caught stealing 200 baht from some elders. The boys suffered bruising in the sustained assault, reported Daily News.

Yesterday 60 locals marched and gathered at the temple to call for action from the police for excessive punishment against the boys.

Sangwal Wanphirun, 64, told the gathering that she intervened and stopped the assault after seeing "Ta Yong" and his wife "Nang Nee" attack the boys.

The couple told those watching that this is a warning to others of what would happen if you steal.

Local mayor Nopalit Sermsaksasithorn spoke on behalf of the abbot Phra Mongkhon Moli who didn't want to get involved. Nopalit advised the angry crowd to go to the police and watchdog Damrongtham.

But Chonburi social services soon swung into action and took the two boys to the Panat Nikom cops to make a complaint.

Police have summonsed the couple to face charges of assault, child abuse and illegal detention. If they don't appear they will be arrested.

The children have been temporarily taken into care at a Bang Lamung children's home.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-20
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Nowhere in the article, either in English or Thai, does it say the the husband and wife are the parents of the two children who were beaten.

Why would a journalist omit such and important fact from the article?

Any thoughts, anyone? Any other sources that clarify their relationship?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

they were only young, still gaining experience from mum'n'dad

...still 'learning the ropes'

trouble is they got caught, and punished as mum'n'dad lost face

at least the public was knot impressed... so hopefully the ropes are still insitu, with some stronger knots

Edited by tifino

I don't understand what all the big deal is about here. :sleep:

Is what this couple did to the two kids all that different that what various Thai teachers do to their students all the time -- beatings, whippings, humiliation, etc. etc. -- and seem to emerge from it unscathed after the usual "fact finding committee investigation".

Of course, I'm not condoning what occurred here. Just pointing out, similar stuff goes on all around, and those wrongdoers don't get punished -- but they should!

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

You can’t teach children to behave better by making them feel worse. When children feel better, they behave better! And it is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men, which is the case in most of the male population in this country.

Agreed.   However, Solution ? ....  let them steal without rebuke or repercussions ?  

• Like 1

In fact the parents feel helpless, that boys stealing money from someone.

Public punishment is wrong, but definitely the boys to be punished at home at least to correct them since they are young.

Otherwise it will become a regular habit. Other good thing they can try is, give them time to time 20 baht as pocket money, so that they don't feel that they are run out money or run for money.

Most wiser idea would be pay them 20 baht for every good work they do at home, cleaning home, doing home work, getting good marks, sawadee to elders etc. This way they know the value of the money and value of life too.

30 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd quite approve of this if they were over 18. Bring back the stock for petty crime.

With an attitude like that I am sure, that the Saudi Embassy will give you a visa...:coffee1:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, OmarZaid said:

Agreed.   However, Solution ? ....  let them steal without rebuke or repercussions ?  

How about teaching and taking care of the kids in the first place instead of parking them on a couch, handing them a phone, and and tell them not to disturb? 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, NextStationBangkok said:

In fact the parents feel helpless, that boys stealing money from someone.

Public punishment is wrong, but definitely the boys to be punished at home at least to correct them since they are young.

Otherwise it will become a regular habit. Other good thing they can try is, give them time to time 20 baht as pocket money, so that they don't feel that they are run out money or run for money.

Most wiser idea would be pay them 20 baht for every good work they do at home, cleaning home, doing home work, getting good marks, sawadee to elders etc. This way they know the value of the money and value of life too.

Seems like you have no idea of the value of 20 baht to a villager. It may be something we would not bother picking up if we dropped it but for many people it is quite an amount.

I don't think getting rewarded for doing what you have been told to do is part of the way of life in the village but getting punished for doing wrong is very much so. 

• Like 2

The way I read it , the amount was 200 baht - a days pay for a labourer in my tgs villiage - and 2 days pay for a bbq evening staff member.

So not a small amount to the villiagers - and worse ( to them and me as well ) , they stole it from Elders.

Things move much more slowly out in the bush , we all know that , and I think my tgs family would consider a parent remiss for not dishing out a belting.

So as far as i know , it comes down to how severe the corporal punishment was ..

If other elders intervened , then that was certainly the time to quit ...

But 'theft' is to be vigorously discouraged  out there - a local kid went into town and stole a motorbike. He was sentenced to 2 years jail a few days later .

And Nobody would wish that  sentence , at those jails , on any local family ... ever.

As to tieing the kids up in the Wat , well Ive never heard of this  happening before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I'd quite approve of this if they were over 18. Bring back the stock for petty crime.

A good Singaporian caining .For < 18 as well.

Edited by BuaBS
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Seems like you have no idea of the value of 20 baht to a villager. It may be something we would not bother picking up if we dropped it but for many people it is quite an amount.

I don't think getting rewarded for doing what you have been told to do is part of the way of life in the village but getting punished for doing wrong is very much so. 

What about 5 Baht or even 1 Baht let's say ? 

:sleepy:

5 minutes ago, NextStationBangkok said:

What about 5 Baht or even 1 Baht let's say ? 

:sleepy:

I understand what you are saying but it doesn't seem to be the norm around these parts - certainly not for the day to day stuff that is expected.

There may be a reward for some major achievement but for simply doing the right thing..... Zilch and maybe a thank you.  And I can honestly say I can see nothing wrong with that.

Edited by tryasimight