Not drinking

Justfine

I've cut back on alcohol a lot in 3 months. Hardly touched it. Drank twice maybe 5 glasses. Never had a drinking problem but cut back to get fitter.

What do non drinkers feel about alcohol after a few years? Miss it? Not all at?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/21/2018 at 9:01 AM, Justfine said:

What's with these icons and no comments?

I think its meant as encouragement without cluttering the page up with additional posts that don't really add anything to the discussion

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up completely for over a year and now drink two small Chang every two days, partly because my granddaughter loves skipping down to the shop.

My high blood pressure continued after giving up alcohol and I am now taking medicaments, which work very well, who knows what would have happened if I had still been drinking?

Anyway, I never got outrageously drunk, but I did develop acid reflux and started puking about three times a week. That's finished, and I feel I have it under control, never had more than four beers on a day for two years now. 

My wallet seems to have got a bit heavier though.

13 minutes ago, cooked said:

I gave up completely for over a year and now drink two small Chang every two days, partly because my granddaughter loves skipping down to the shop.

Well i have heard many excuses for drinking but, partly because my granddaughter likes skipping down to the shop  Pricless best excuse i have read in ages.:cheesy:

i refused to drink for 3 years in cambodia due to there being no naked woman to look at. now i just got back and had my first gogo round,

but i no longer fancy drinking, didnt fancy the taste, didnt enjoy, didnt get drunk,

nothing to write home about

27 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Well i have heard many excuses for drinking but, partly because my granddaughter likes skipping down to the shop  Pricless best excuse i have read in ages.:cheesy:

I said partly. I don't know why this subforum attracts so many unpleasant people.

Drinking two small beers every two days doesn't really count as drinking, drinking a pack a day as I had in the past, is drinking.

1 minute ago, cooked said:

I said partly. I don't know why this subforum attracts so many unpleasant people.

Drinking two small beers every two days doesn't really count as drinking, drinking a pack a day as I had in the past, is drinking.

a bottle of beer a day is drinking

1 minute ago, cooked said:

Calm down mate, nobodies being unpleasant, look you will see i posted a laughing emoji, so just joking.

"What do non drinkers feel about alcohol after a few years? Miss it? Not all at?"

It depends obviously on so many different scenarios as to how one would answer that question...."different horses for different courses.

I would rather die than let another drop of alcohol pass my lips...17 yrs. free from it now.

But in itself, I think alcohol is a good "socializer" for those who can control and enjoy it, and a great way to relax ( in moderation, of course.).

You have stopped to try to lose some weight, and good luck to you....great stuff. This might be considered a "luxuary" reason.

It use to be that 10% of a population were addicted to alcohol (after taking into account the many people in turn that 10% affected. family, friends, bosses, fellow workers, general public)  well...a lot of people, directly or indirectly get affected by alcohol.

My conclusion, if one can drink alcohol socially ...more luck to them....if alcohol causes a continueing problem in either your social life, work life or finincial affairs, maybe time to have a look at one's situation.

It's a complex question...there are so many variations.

Gave up the booze about 3 years ago although on a recent trip to LOS my g/f and I shared an experimental bottle which neither of us enjoyed, justifying our abstinence. Feel better and  richer for having given up. The principle motivator was health and what goes with alcohol generally, loud music (the cause of irreversible hearing loss and a conversation blocker), and second hand tobacco smoke. However, no problems being in the company of drinkers but smoking is a red line. 

Never alcaholic, but getting middle aged and close to 0,1 ton, I decided to change my eating and drinking behavior. Not only alcohol, but sugar and less carb to. Resoult is great and have now more energy and feel more happy. Do not miss it for a second since life just turned alot better. 

1 hour ago, poanoi said:

i refused to drink for 3 years in cambodia due to there being no naked woman to look at. now i just got back and had my first gogo round,

but i no longer fancy drinking, didnt fancy the taste, didnt enjoy, didnt get drunk,

nothing to write home about

What cambodia no naked women you must be drunk

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

I may be able to address this shortly. I am told the Mont Clair 5 litre boxes will no longer be available @ 969 baht. There will be 3 litre boxes for the same price at around the same price.

My local Big C now stocks 3 litre Mont Clair boxes. I can't remember the exact price but it was only just shy of 1200 baht. 

5 minutes ago, poanoi said:

cambodia got neither go-go nor anything else that you'd associate with civilization

According to a famous quote, the only sure proof of a country's civilization is its cuisine.

Sadly, most countries which we take as civilized would not pass the test.

3 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

According to a famous quote, the only sure proof of a country's civilization is its cuisine.

Sadly, most countries which we take as civilized would not pass the test.

yes, the food there was the thing i hated the second most,

after the mattresses

I don't miss it, because I never started. When I was a teenager, I went to a lounge in a hotel with a couple of friends, I thought the look of a beer in a pint glass was revolting, so I would not even taste it, and that has carried me through to right now. I still can't understand how anyone can put something that looks so revolting down their throats.

I accept that I am just an odd one out, and it does not bother me sitting in the company of people drinking, just as long as it stays sociable.

Even today though, I have a rule that at any social event, I will be happy to shake hands with anyone who offers, but pity help them if they approach me for a handshake the second time.

I have never minded sociable drinking, but I cannot stand drunks, and will never tolerate drunkiness from anyone.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I don't miss it, because I never started. When I was a teenager, I went to a lounge in a hotel with a couple of friends, I thought the look of a beer in a pint glass was revolting, so I would not even taste it, and that has carried me through to right now. I still can't understand how anyone can put something that looks so revolting down their throats.

I accept that I am just an odd one out, and it does not bother me sitting in the company of people drinking, just as long as it stays sociable.

Even today though, I have a rule that at any social event, I will be happy to shake hands with anyone who offers, but pity help them if they approach me for a handshake the second time.

I have never minded sociable drinking, but I cannot stand drunks, and will never tolerate drunkiness from anyone.

what do you do about them?

4 hours ago, cooked said:

My high blood pressure continued after giving up alcohol and I am now taking medicaments, which work very well, who knows what would have happened if I had still been drinking?

Anyway, I never got outrageously drunk, but I did develop acid reflux and started puking about three times a week. That's finished, and I feel I have it under control, never had more than four beers on a day for two years now. 

My wallet seems to have got a bit heavier though.

Why not send your granddaughter down for an ice cream or sweets for herself? Then she will skip a lot faster.:biggrin:

Archived