Arise Sir Ringo: Beatles drummer knighted at Buckingham Palace

webfact

Arise Sir Ringo: Beatles drummer knighted at Buckingham Palace

Reuters Staff

ringo.jpg

FILE PHOTO - Musician Ringo Starr gestures at fans at a "Peace & Love" event to celebrate Starr's 77th birthday in Los Angeles, California, U.S., July 7, 2017. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

LONDON (Reuters) - Former Beatles drummer Ringo Starr was knighted at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday and joked with reporters afterwards: “I expect you to use my title.”

The 77-year-old, originally from Liverpool and now based in Los Angeles, was honored for his services to music in Queen Elizabeth’s New Year’s honors list.

Ringo, real name Richard Starkey, joined Paul McCartney, George Harrison and John Lennon in the Beatles as a replacement drummer for Pete Best in 1962 and occasionally sang lead vocals, notably in “Yellow Submarine” and “With a Little Help from my Friends.”

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a Beatle in 1988 and again in 2015 for his solo career after the group split up.

McCartney was knighted 21 years ago and Tuesday’s ceremony came 53 years after the Beatles received MBEs in 1965.

Accompanied by his wife, Barbara Bach, Ringo was knighted by Prince William with a ceremonial sword to become Sir Richard Starkey.

“I don’t know how to use this (title) properly,” he said as he showed the medal to a BBC reporter after the ceremony, “but I expect you to use it.”

Reporting by Stephen Addison, editing by Andy Bruce

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-21
  • Sad 1

This made me laugh ...

Interviewer: "Do you think Ringo Starr is the best drummer in the world?"

John Lennon: "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles!"

But he was one of the best of his generation.

14th best ever, according to 'Rolling Stone' https://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-drummers-of-all-time-20160331/ringo-starr-20160325

1 minute ago, transam said:

There is no question that the Beatles were good in their day, I was there, but Ringo was just a drummer who was nothing special in the context of now being called "Sir" for his expertise.

From that era Kieth Moon was a real drummer, even Dave Clark (Five) did his stuff. Mick Fleetwood and Phil Collins stood out in my opinion as real drummers..

Maybe he got the knighthood for the song he penned 'Octopus's Garden'

6 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

stop your pathetic whinging , nothing else better to do, do you lot ever say anything good about anybody, perhaps not , this is thai visa the old mans moaning site now have a bloody good moan about me,

Do you play the drums or been Knighted....Tell all so we can get into a moan gear...laugh.gif.e215a4b5b0a6ccb6254aab5b37987436.gif

9 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

stop your pathetic whinging , nothing else better to do, do you lot ever say anything good about anybody, perhaps not , this is thai visa the old mans moaning site now have a bloody good moan about me,

Why would anybody want to moan about you, you are really insignificant. But instead of posting on here nothing at all to do with the topic, why don't you tell us what you think Ringos contribution to music is, and his wonderfull achievement of being awarded the knighthood. ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, transam said:

There is no question that the Beatles were good in their day, I was there, but Ringo was just a drummer who was nothing special in the context of now being called "Sir" for his expertise.

From that era Kieth Moon was a real drummer, even Dave Clark (Five) did his stuff. Mick Fleetwood and Phil Collins stood out in my opinion as real drummers..

Keith Moon was a nutter, Dave Clark....Bits n Piece and Glad All Over, the drumming on Albatross ain't that difficult and wasn't Phil Collins still in Oliver the Musical. lol

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Keith Moon was a nutter, Dave Clark....Bits n Piece and Glad All Over, the drumming on Albatross ain't that difficult and wasn't Phil Collins still in Oliver the Musical. lol

So you knew Kieth Moon, that's cool...But I reckon you know nothing about music stuff...

Just now, transam said:

So you knew Kieth Moon, that's cool...But I reckon you know nothing about music stuff...

And your credentials please sir? I did not say I knew Mr Moon, but played on the same bill as the Who a couple of times in 68 & 69, and yes, Keith WAS a nutter. I only did 45 years on the road as a musician so you are correct, I know nothing.