Hypothetical Situation...

bwpage3

NY Times today MARCH 21, 2018

The Federal Reserve raised interest rates on Wednesday by a quarter of a percentage point and signaled that the central bank is on track to raise rates twice more in 2018.

■ The Fed said it would raise its benchmark interest rate to a range of 1.5 percent to 1.75 percent, marking the sixth time since the financial crisis that it has raised rates.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/21/business/fed-interest-rate.html

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Wonder if anyone on this forum lived here in 1981 when the baht was 20 to 1?

No, but in 1990 I had my Canadian dollars here at about 19 B and there was no problem as prices were real low at the time.  Most things were priced  less that half today prices.    

Exception were the airline tickets as there was no Low Cost Airlines , only Thai International , Thai domestic and Bangkok Air. So bus and train only for me.

At today prices I guess 19 B  / CDA dollars would be decisions time for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

I have a two room house with bath and kitchenette in a Barrio in central PI for P2000, about $39 dollars a month and it has electric and water. Can get even cheaper one-room camaligs--native material shacks, without electric or water for as little as P200/mo; depends upon how you want to live. But then, that has nothing to do with the THB, does it?

For those of us not in the know, where is PI ?

Thanks.

Edited by SpeakeasyThai

25 minutes ago, Ban Phe Dezza said:

The average age Aussie pensioner unless they have additional funds will find it almost impossible to legally meet Immigration requirements.

In the case of Married to a Thai lady the average monthly Pension is border line. drop down to 23 baht to the AU$ and one is below the border line and can not legally qualify for a marriage or retirement extension.

Thus for those with no additional funds 23 bath to the $AU is the Crunch line

and Yes I am in that situation P.I is looking good at the moment

No financial requirements for 1 year multi Married O VISA ..... only VISA extensions are a finance problem.

PI Peso has the same exchange rate to GBP as it had 10 years back.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

Just now, SpeakeasyThai said:

THANKS.

A province i never visited.

The Philippines is a country not a Provence of over 700 Islands it has its bad points as well as good.  for those on Aussie pensions currently you get around  66.000.00 PISO  per 4 weekly age pension    1,664 AUD =67,252.93PHP

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I live and work here. I’ve been here the better part of 15 years.

My salary here now, with the declining foreign currency is equivalent to a 30% wage increase. $1500 at old rates is now $2000 at current rates.

Why would I leave?

Anyone selling a condo here and transferring it to home currency could make a killing... until they needed to convert it to Baht again :- o

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ban Phe Dezza said:

The average age Aussie pensioner unless they have additional funds will find it almost impossible to legally meet Immigration requirements.

In the case of Married to a Thai lady the average monthly Pension is border line. drop down to 23 baht to the AU$ and one is below the border line and can not legally qualify for a marriage or retirement extension.

Don't think it is that good in the PI. Some things are less expensive, alcohol and tobacco for instance. However, for many things, including decent accommodation, the PI is more expensive than Thailand. I am sure you could find lesser priced accommodation, do without a/c, internet, and cable and eat nothing but local foods and drink nothing but water and local alcohol here in Thailand and get by on less baht.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 USD in 1981 is worth $2.74 today adjusted for inflation. Minimum wage in the US in 1981 was $3.35. Thailand has a higher rate of inflation but assuming it was constant does that mean 20 baht to $1 in 1981 is roughly equivalent to 20*2.74 =54.8 baht in todays baht? I'd like to know what you could purchase with 20 baht in 1981.

When I came in 2005 $1 was ~40-45baht and a plate of fried rice (my metric for measuring inflation) was 20-25 baht (in the north). Today that's $1 -> 30 baht and fried rice is 30-35 baht so food has basically doubled since I've been here. More pollution, traffic, congestion also so my quality of life has gotten worse over the last 13 years.

• Like 1

I'm wondering how many of the people that might leave would "never buy a house in Thailand".

It doesn't make sense, of course, if you're just here for a year or two but it sure does if you expect to stay longer. I'd call them idiots but that's just the schadenfreude talking.

1 minute ago, misterme said:

I live and work here. I’ve been here the better part of 15 years.

My salary here now, with the declining foreign currency is equivalent to a 30% wage increase. $1500 at old rates is now $2000 at current rates.

Why would I leave?

Anyone selling a condo here and transferring it to home currency could make a killing... until they needed to convert it to Baht again :- o

A rather quaint way to look at it. If you made USD1500 at old rates; that would be what, B54,000 at 36 to 1?  No matter the current USD to THB rate, you are still making B54,000, are you not?

• Haha 1

first came to thailand in 2016, being really smart we changed money at sydney airport, got around 22 bhart  per dollar, we thought we were rich when my mate and i arrived  in bangkok ,back then , compared to now, i can not see many things that are that much dearer, we , as newcomers paid then a hell of a lot for pussy, we definately got ripped of, you still can get 25 bhart for aus dollar now so i think its still good value here now, when i moved here permanately , i bought heaps of cash and changed at 32  bhart, put it in the bank, so in reality, now i am way in front, just back from aus and there is no way that i will ever go back there, its bloody expensive and there is a law for every thing, at least you are free here, i pay no rent live on our farm, we clear 150k bhart a year and we live like kings on my old age pension and i can not see any thing changing here to i check out, no i am staying

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ban Phe Dezza said:

Same here, if the $Aus gets down below 23 Bhat and camps there which looks highly probable at the moment, that'll be it for a lot of Aussie's relying mainly on the pension.

• Like 1