Hypothetical Situation...

bwpage3

6 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Anbon Hotel fan room (over and behind BizMart), Barretto, Olongapo, Zambeles.

Cheap Charlies just across the road, small San Miguel Beer 35 Peso.

Yes, and MaeJoMTB is talking about the tourist areas around the former US Navy base; which are much better for entertainment than the more cheap areas in the barrios. Similar accommodation and pricing is also available around Clark--Angeles City--the former US Air Force base. Another bennie I like in the PI is the abundance and low cost of good western foods, especially around the old US bases areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uffe123 said:

Been here 20 years and seen the bath go from 25 to 55. Now prices of food and everything else is par with my home country, except for gas which is 4 liters for 2 buck in my home country. Beats paying 4 bucks per liter.  So there really is not to many reasons to stay here. Traffic is getting worse by the day, you cant breathe the air, so really why stay here? 

Since the military took over the farmers are starving, unless you are a senator and own 500 or a thousand rye.

I like vine and the price now is ridicules. Went to renew my 5 year drivers license and they told me i would have to start all over and sit for a video, test, driving test. Ridiculous, after 5 years I went back to California with my expired drivers license and had a new license in 15 minutes. I have Singaporean, and Malay license, never any bulchit crap like here to renew.

Its like lets make it so hard for expats that maybe they will leave.

Well I'am leaving in May, and will probably only come back for visit.

Many Guys are heading out now and looking for Pastures new, and who can blame them, apart from the BS Exchange rate there are so many other things that now make this place very unappealing indeed, i wish you well.

• Like 2

The Baht was 20.05 to 1USD when I came here in 1971. When I moved here in 2005 it was 44-45 to 1 USD. since then it has been on a down slide with the occasional up burst. I could ride it out until 25 to 1 USD. Then I would be moving back stateside. At my age, 65, I don't see me making any multiple moves anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

I was in Thailand at least 20 times between '67-'80, sometimes for as long as a month.

The THB to USD was in the 20 to 1 range from the early '50s to early '80s.

http://fxtop.com/en/currency-converter-past.php?A=1&C1=USD&C2=THB&DD=14&MM=09&YYYY=1953&B=1&P=&I=1&btnOK=Go!

However,  you have to remember, B20 bought you a whole lot more; e.g., a decent hotel room could be had for B100-B150 ($5-7.50). Of course, the things which could be had for the price of a decent hotel room today were also available then at similar prices; e.g, a very nice meal, or a bottle of decent wine, or  . . . .

When i first started coming here we got 18 to the Canadian dollar.  It was great. Like you said rooms were 100 to 150 baht in questhouses with air hot water tv  fridge . Massage 100 baht for real massage they bent you twisted you dug so deep into the muscle it would make you jump.

Food was so cheap. Women 200 short time 300 long time.

I lived on $35 a day when here and would come for a month or 2 every year. I saved money while here it was cheaper to fly here and live than stay in Canada. Where else could people go at that time and have it cost less than their home country,while on a holiday.

I planned my retirement on 20 to the dollar so had a few years that were a gift.

But have to admit I will start bringing more money over from now on I want to live well so do not wish to compromise in my last few years.. 

It's about as low as i want it to go, Thailand's not cheap anymore and it doesn't give you anything back, so why hang around spending good money on a place that has changed for the worse. It was ok when the Bht used to be 70 to the pound, it was that for years and made Thailand livable...... Malaysia gives the average punter a shed load more than Thailand, so does Cambodia, so really Thailand better start giving something back to the tourists/expats before they all leg it...... But maybe that's the plan, Buffalos and carts and pantaloon trousers next with big brother Pot in charge........ 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shackleton123 said:

Well those of us from an EU Member State can go more or less anywhere in the EU. Greece is looking like a good proposition, loads of cheap housing, low cost of living (nobody there has much money) On the other hand aside from the strong Baht, there are other considerations. I get the distinct feeling Farangs are less and less welcome here. Hardly any expats left because there is little work here, tons of empty houses for sale or rent. Immigration are less and less pleasant with every visit. You never know with any certainty whether you will be allowed to remain, or whether  the rules might change and force you out.

So true, i've been here coming up to thirty years now and i get the distinct impression every time i meet immigration that i don't know if i'll be let back into the country ..... Malaysia, especially Penang is looking like the place to bail out to....... It's such a shame because Thailand used to be a great place to live, now not so.... I'm just waiting for brother "Pot" to order out all foreigners, something which looking at the current shenanigans in Thailand i believe is possible......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Historically, the Thai Baht reached an all time high of 55.50 in January of 1998 and a record low of 20.36 in July of 1981

That would have to be the USD, though you haven't mentioned it anywhere.

And I haven't checked your historical figures, but you have things the wrong way round. At 55.50, the THB would have reached an all-time low; a record high at 20.36.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Malaysia gives the average punter a shed load more than Thailand, so does Cambodia, so really Thailand better start giving something back to the tourists/expats before they all leg it...... But maybe that's the plan

We need to realise that Thailand no longer wants foreigners to live in Thailand

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ScotBkk said:

My friend
Personally, I'm an international businessman having left Thailand over 3 years ago after a 10 years stay. I'm well versed in Thailand and how us Farangs are are treated by its inhabitants namely thai women etc. Unless, your walking around with rose coloured  glasses or have have Thai apoligists syndrome, you need take care of your facilities,this mainly because Thailand ain't so Amazing as it portrays itself ,,,,,,,,,

If a women treats you badly and you stay with her, it is your own fault.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

If a women treats you badly and you stay with her, it is your own fault.

Of course. Personally, I think Thai women have the benefit of their Language chatting away to their cohorts in covert mode, unless you wish to learn the Thai Language but by this time they've betrayed you immensely, you the fall guy. Unless, you decide to take some old dog as your Teerak then all is well ..... LOL

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

Personally, I really don't understand why anyone needs/wants to end their days in Thailand. It ain't no big deal. There are many countries with no such dreadful visa restrictions, changes in the law at a drop of the hat and so on. Get your act together TV Victor Meldrew types on Thaivisa are not reality !!!!!

Name the countries then..that would help if you did.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uffe123 said:

Been here 20 years and seen the bath go from 25 to 55. Now prices of food and everything else is par with my home country, except for gas which is 4 liters for 2 buck in my home country. Beats paying 4 bucks per liter.  So there really is not to many reasons to stay here. Traffic is getting worse by the day, you cant breathe the air, so really why stay here? 

Since the military took over the farmers are starving, unless you are a senator and own 500 or a thousand rye.

I like vine and the price now is ridicules. Went to renew my 5 year drivers license and they told me i would have to start all over and sit for a video, test, driving test. Ridiculous, after 5 years I went back to California with my expired drivers license and had a new license in 15 minutes. I have Singaporean, and Malay license, never any bulchit crap like here to renew.

Its like lets make it so hard for expats that maybe they will leave.

Well I'am leaving in May, and will probably only come back for visit.

Oh come on,  1 half day every 5 years to renew your licence..?  Hardly using up all your time, is it?  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Hmm.

Lots of questions. 

There are many reasons why an expat might want to or feel "forced" to leave Thailand. 

Expats that earn baht here would be in a different situation.

Short answer -- the baht down to 20 would put fire under my arse.

As an Australian yet to be domiciled in Thailand,I'm concerned as many are with the unrealistic currency exchange rates. 

Over the last couple of years the Thai baht generally hangs between 24 and 25 baht to the Aussie dollar,  which for my agenda is too close to the 20 baht limit.

My own dual pensions allow me just over 100,000 baht at the 24 baht per Aussie $, as a monthly lifestyle support,  and no way would I draw from my reserve funds just to live in LoS.

IMO a 4 baht margin is still to close for comfort,  yeah I know many of you will sneer and state that 100,000 monthly is easy going,  but my point is that's where I want to be consistently if I was ever to relocate to Thailand.

So at this point in time I'll continue to holiday 2 to 3 times yearly in LoS,  while monitoring the situation. 

2 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

I'm well versed in Thailand and how us Farangs are are treated by its inhabitants namely thai women etc.

Although I do realise that its consensual, having sex with a female in exchange for some paper, is rather treating them badly

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

"Historically, the Thai Baht reached an all time high of 55.50 in January of 1998 and a record low of 20.36 in July of 1981"

No offence but I guess we are supposed to guess which currency  you are talking about:smile:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although I do realise that its consensual, having sex with a female in exchange for some paper, is rather treating them badly

Not really, it’s their job...not a great job granted, but there are far worse jobs for the money than that...they would look at treating them badly by NOT bar fining them...??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ScotBkk said:

My friend
Personally, I'm an international businessman having left Thailand over 3 years ago after a 10 years stay. I'm well versed in Thailand and how us Farangs are are treated by its inhabitants namely thai women etc. Unless, your walking around with rose coloured  glasses or have have Thai apoligists syndrome, you need take care of your facilities,this mainly because Thailand ain't so Amazing as it portrays itself ,,,,,,,,,

Eloquently said, you command of English typing and chosen words speak volumes.

Yee-haw!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stropper said:

first came to thailand in 2016, being really smart we changed money at sydney airport, got around 22 bhart  per dollar, we thought we were rich when my mate and i arrived  in bangkok ,back then , compared to now, i can not see many things that are that much dearer, we , as newcomers paid then a hell of a lot for pussy, we definately got ripped of, you still can get 25 bhart for aus dollar now so i think its still good value here now, when i moved here permanately , i bought heaps of cash and changed at 32  bhart, put it in the bank, so in reality, now i am way in front, just back from aus and there is no way that i will ever go back there, its bloody expensive and there is a law for every thing, at least you are free here, i pay no rent live on our farm, we clear 150k bhart a year and we live like kings on my old age pension and i can not see any thing changing here to i check out, no i am staying

150 k baht a year, so you farm what ?

9 minutes ago, Kimber said:

As an Australian yet to be domiciled in Thailand,I'm concerned as many are with the unrealistic currency exchange rates. 

Over the last couple of years the Thai baht generally hangs between 24 and 25 baht to the Aussie dollar,  which for my agenda is too close to the 20 baht limit.

My own dual pensions allow me just over 100,000 baht at the 24 baht per Aussie $, as a monthly lifestyle support,  and no way would I draw from my reserve funds just to live in LoS.

IMO a 4 baht margin is still to close for comfort,  yeah I know many of you will sneer and state that 100,000 monthly is easy going,  but my point is that's where I want to be consistently if I was ever to relocate to Thailand.

So at this point in time I'll continue to holiday 2 to 3 times yearly in LoS,  while monitoring the situation. 

18-19 baht is possible.

They are forecasting our dollar at 68 cents and longer term, around 74 stable. The Aussie dollar is going to get pressed and if it gets to these levels, many are going to suffer. I am now pressing the wife to open back up her Accountancy business, I am rebuilding our rice barns to make way for rooms to rent to farangs that come to train for boxing. I bought over a few million at 26 not long back and now leave my income alone in my Australian bank account,  hoping to trade again at better times.

Australia is pretty much a basket case now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Good post, thank you.  

I think when we reach a certain age we try to turn back the clock. That was certainly my initial attraction to Thailand and the new place i bought a home at in the US. Turning back the clock isn't necessarily cheaper; certainly not in the US, but it is comforting to many, including myself. I don't want to go, go, go all the time. I don't want my "space" invaded". I want to be free to do as I like. If one doesn't have an extraordinary attachment to self, Thailand is a great place to do just that

Well I have to give you guys the 3 tiered chocolate Cake !  

Seriously "Free" as a farang target in Thailand, what a joke.