Advice on flying with newborn farang baby

TheMacMan

26 minutes ago, keithpa said:

Didnt know you were a doctor.

I am not and didn't say I was. I said doctors know the difference. Which is more than I can say about certain people.

Edited by Dazinoz
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ericthai said:

I agree dont know how many planes I have flown on over the last 30 years but never wore a mask and never got a cold, not even on the long haul flights!

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/planes-flu-things-stay-healthy-flying/story?id=52418032

You are 113 times more likely to catch the flu up there, then down here, have a listen to this ABC News video and stay safe, remember the strains of the flu of late are starting to kill people, so not something to take lightly, especially if you have young kids.

Not telling everyone what to do, but its a personal choice, for those that laugh, I hope they stay safe.

• Like 1

My only advice for you travelling with a newborn baby: please sit as far away from me as possible in the unlikely event we're on the same flight!
Might be easier for you to ask the flight attendant if you can move seats. I'm sure most families with a baby would be delighted to not have to sit near someone with a bad attitude.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Might be easier for you to ask the flight attendant if you can move seats. I'm sure most families with a baby would be delighted to not have to sit near someone with a bad attitude.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sorry! It was supposed to be a joke. I forgot to add the Smileys. Now done!:smile:

• Like 1

OP, as for the actual flight, either breast, bottle or dummie during take-off and landing as it helps with the ears popping etc, work feeding times into take-off and landing.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I am not and didn't say I was. I said doctors know the difference. Which is more than I can say about certain people.

OK, Im sorry, i didnt know that you had consulted a doctor and that he, she, said that the cold was caused by the flight.

Edited by keithpa
add
  • Like 1

When I saw the heading, I thought it was about international travel.

Am I missing something here, but it's only from Phuket to Bkk ( and presumably back ). What is wrong with driving? Millions of people do that all the time. In LOS locals even drive m'bikes with new born babies in arm.

No legal hassles, no fear of germs, stop whenever one wants.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Ignorance is for those that do not wish to believe in the possibilities, and think they are immune, stay safe, oh and as for total rubbish, well that's a matter of opinion.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/planes-flu-things-stay-healthy-flying/story?id=52418032

An in depth reading of the site you mention does not back up what you state. Not everybody get a cold when flying, so , my comment stands, as usual.

5 minutes ago, keithpa said:

An in depth reading of the site you mention does not back up what you state. Not everybody get a cold when flying, so , my comment stands, as usual.

Lets not wist my words keithpa, copy and pasted from #9, I didn't say "everyone", read below and go back to #9 then stand corrected if you can

"everyone I know that fly's always, and I say always ends up with a cold or flu, explain that, we also used to get colds, until we put on the face masks, like I said, believe what you want". 

1 hour ago, keithpa said:

I would often get a runny nose, sometimes would last for weeks, I fly a lot. Then ,instead of wearing on the plane what i would wear around town , in Thailand, just a shirt on top, I tried wearing teashirt, shirt and put on a cardigan, jumper, on the plane, no more runny noses.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but wearing clothes does not stop the transfer of airborn infectious agents. Only wearing a mask capable of excluding viruses would do that.

It is, of course, possible that your runny nose was not caused by a virus, and was an allergic reaction to something. Have you checked to see if the runny nose occurred more often during times of increased allergens?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but wearing clothes does not stop the transfer of airborn infectious agents. Only wearing a mask capable of excluding viruses would do that.

It is, of course, possible that your runny nose was not caused by a virus, and was an allergic reaction to something. Have you checked to see if the runny nose occurred more often during times of increased allergens?

Not caused by infection, its the aircon atmosphere. Keeping warm was the answer. Worked for me anyway. Cheers.

Edited by keithpa
add
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

So have we converted now ?

"can", not "do". and not "always".  You cant win against me my friend, Anyway, I ve had enough fun on this fascinating post , so, its all yours now. Over and out, back to reading the Yellow pages for me, more interesting. Like you mate, Ive got nothing better to do with my time in LOS. Thats why Im out here next week, for good.  P.S. Do you know why the Pink Page changed to the Yellow Pages? Another fascinating story.

Edited by keithpa
add
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, keithpa said:

Do you know why the Pink Page changed to the Yellow Pages? Another fascinating story.

Pink pages originally owned by westerners then bought out by the chinese. hence colour change?

The issue on planes is that you are increasing your proximity with a far greater number of people. 

It's similar with being in a shopping mall... Its simple statistics... 

The more people there is confined to an area the greater the possibility that one of them is unwell and contagious. 

Taking a new-born on a flight would increase the risk of exposing the infant who is ill-prepared to handle the onset of a virus at such an early age.

As another poster wrote - waiting until 2 months is a better option. 

Our son had over 20 flights before he was 1 year old... but we did wait for the first few months (I think 3) before we took a quick domestic flight. 

OP: is it possible to carry out the passport application alone?  

Note: In a Passport application it is likely you will need someone (a professional) who has known you for 2 years to notarise (on the back of the passport photo) the photo's true likeness to the infant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dazinoz said:

Pink pages originally owned by westerners then bought out by the chinese. hence colour change?

No, I was working  for them at the time, there was a world shortage of pink paper, so, had to go to another colour. A concrete company in Oz had entered into a big advertising campaign with Pink Pages, painted their hundreds of vehicles pink, and advertised "Think Pink". They are still pink but the "think pink" has gone.

Apart from the in-thread fighting, thanks for your advice so far.....

Yes, I am concerned that Air Asia and others say one thing but then we will have a problem at the gate/departure.

I too don't really want to take the newborn on a plane too early, and yes I am concerned about germs..... We are now going to leave it as late as possible to do so.

The UK embassy contacts have now confirmed in email that the baby does NOT need to be present for the paperwork and application so will stay at home and I will go by myself with all paperwork instead.... Wish me luck!

That said, we will HAVE to be on a flight and leaving Thailand briefly in August so will have to make sure all is in order before then and hopefully have no problems.  

As some of you are saying FWIW (For What It's Worth) I fly a lot and nearly always get colds after.... With recent flights I have taken to wearing a good quality face-mask (damn hot and uncomfortable) but have not had any colds after....?!?

However, I do not think you can get infant face-masks?.....

As an update, Air Asia said NO, Farang baby on internal flight needs passport, (which we were flying there to get) but Bangkok Airways said that just a Birth Certificate original was OK.... but also that it was best to confirm flight, names and details prior to flying with them.

So it seems Bangkok Airways are slightly more helpful/better.... but I still need some kind of confirmation prior to booking, paying and leaving for the airport..... something that seems very hard to get?!?!

You would think this would be an easy matter to resolve but so far no airline will actually STATE and email confirmation that YES, the farang couple and their newborn baby can fly from Phuket to Bangkok (within Thailand) with the baby's original birth certificate (no passport).

The birth certificate clearly states in Thai the name of both mother and father (which would match the certified translation and our passports!)

Unfortunately, we have to go to some of the embassies and visa offices WITH the baby (some give us NO choice!)

Hopefully I will resolve a baby passport on my own and this will all be irrelevant...... we shall see....

Thanks for the info so far, if anyone else has a solution or has experienced this I would like to hear it...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elgenon said:

Just read a story about a research experiment that said passengers are more likely to get sick from a sick flight attendant than a sick fellow passenger. I hope sick flight attendants don't fly.

With the miniscule wages and draconian work schedule, safe to bet they fly sick frequently.

Would you like another drink? Cough cough

On 3/27/2018 at 11:30 AM, 4MyEgo said:

For what its worth:

An airplane is no place for a newborn. Many planes use recirculated air, which means that if one person has a cold, his germs are broadcast throughout the plane by the ventilation system. That's no problem for adults, whose mature immune systems can fight off germs. But an infant's immune system is no match for some of the viruses and bacteria that float around on airplanes and in airports. Might be best practice to wait until your baby is at least 2 months old--and preferably 4-6 months old--before taking a flight.

Just saying.....

True. A family member who was an international airline pilot used to tell us that babies should not fly if it can be avoided until the blood-brain barrier has closed. This means waiting until the child is around 12-18 months old. Of course, plenty of babies fly when they are much younger without problems but as you say, very young babies really shouldn't be flying at all. Their immune systems are not developed until they are 12 months or even older. Another issue is of course that very young babies cry a lot and can disturb other passengers. As a parent myself, I would be terribly embarrassed if I took my crying little baby on an airplane with dozens of death stares directed at me - not to mention the difficulties with breastfeeding on an airplane OMG. I know there are various reasons why one would need to travel with a little baby but if it can be at all avoided, it should be.

Just the airport security procedures with all the crowds of people puts a baby at risk of contracting a disease from another traveler before even getting on the plane.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The manic said:

Bad for the baby. Distressing and painful and bad for other passengers. 

If parents took more care to keep babies awake and hungry as we have done in the past, you will find they will sleep as soon as they are board with a bottle in mouth of good old milk and wake up around 9 hours later when we have landed, too easy, really.

15 hours ago, The manic said:

Bad for the baby. Distressing and painful and bad for other passengers. 

I was lucky taking my 17 month old son to Australia. Sat on my lap from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and not a word. Laid on the 2 empty seats beside me from Bangkok to Brisbane, again not a work or whimper. You could see both times coming into landing bothered his ears bit but no problems. In fact I heard the people behind me say a fair way into the flight say "oh there is an infant there". Only because they had seen him. And I did take the daytime flight just in case.

Thanks Raymond.