Engaged to be Married.

ChrisKC

If the answers to my two questions have a link to them, we can avoid plenty of repetition, so please give me links. Thank you

1. I am Englishman divorced from my English wife for two years. This matter was dealt with by English Solicitors and the Family Court in Southampton. My paperwork is in the form of letters I received from them, here in Thailand, that indicated due process and finally one stating the divorce being 'absolute". I have heard that this is not enough to convince the Office at the Amphur that I am actually divorced and that I need a letter from the British Embassy to provide a stamped Document, which I am guessing will need to be officially translated into Thai as well. Is this correct? And if so what is the exact procedure I should follow and what timescale might I be involved in?

2.  As the title says, I am engaged to be married. My Thai partner has indicted that the "wedding" will involve making merit at a couple of Temples, having lunch with guests and then going to the Amphur to get the paper signed. My question to her is: "When did we get married? To which I am met with some surprise!! I need clarification please that enables me to understand that what I am doing is properly official and legal and of course if my "piece of paper" is recognised by Officialdom in Thailand and other countries, particularly as it relates to Immigration.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

3 minutes ago, petermik said:

Firstly a visit to the UK Embassy in BKK with your decree absolute who will provide you (at a cost of course) with a "freedom to marry" document which must then be translated at the MFA (Ministry of foreign affairs)  in BKK into Thai language,take these along the Amphur where your getting married and all SHOULD be good :thumbsup:

p.s. why have you decided to get married again.....live happily together for as long as it may last :sorry:

My wife to be is one of the most wonderful people I have ever met. Even though I have had two previous serious relationships, there is no way I would have married either of them. This time I have done my homework and served my probation - in fact we both have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

all the info ie embassy /mfa is correct  then off to amphur  doesn't really matter in which order the local ceremonies go do just do as you are instructed  and be a good chap   oh yes i wish you and your future wife  good luck and happiness 

Edited by Lamkyong

8 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

all the info ie embassy /mfa is correct  then off to amphur  doesn't really matter in which order the local ceremonies go do just do as you are instructed  and be a good chap   oh yes i wish you and your future wife  good luck and happiness 

Thank you for your good wishes. If you met her, you would know why I feel so confident in our decision.

2 hours ago, TerryLH said:

"...going to the Amphur to get the paper signed."

When you sign at the amphur you will receive your marriage certificates.  Then you are officially married.

All the ceremonies before that are like foreplay.

I didn't bother with the 'foreplay'. We just went to the Amphur Office with some paperwork and 30bht.

Once the Amphur gives you two bits of paper with a flower border, one each, you're married.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, TerryLH said:

"...going to the Amphur to get the paper signed."

When you sign at the amphur you will receive your marriage certificates.  Then you are officially married.

Not only that, but unnecessary. I had none at all.

Some Thai women want a big party ( at the farang's expense ) at which the sin sod will be given over. Bigger the party and sin sod the bigger her ( and her parent's ) face, but neither are necessary. Up to you.

Plenty of debate about sin sod on this forum and elsewhere, but absolutely, if she's been married before and/ or has kids her parents have zero grounds to demand it, as she's been previously bought.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

My wife to be is one of the most wonderful people I have ever met. Even though I have had two previous serious relationships, there is no way I would have married either of them. This time I have done my homework and served my probation - in fact we both have.

All we divorced guys on this subforum thought exactly the same as you at the same stage as you.

Plenty of food for thought if you read the threads. The one about the brother in law was especially good.

Anyway, good luck, and happy days.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

I need clarification please that enables me to understand that what I am doing is properly official and legal and of course if my "piece of paper" is recognised by Officialdom in Thailand and other countries, particularly as it relates to Immigration.

Yes the piece of paper you get at the amphur is indeed legal and recognised in other countries.

You can use it to get a non O visa at consulates outside Thailand, and extend that visa at immigration in Thailand with less money than needed for a retirement extension, but if you can afford it a retirement extension is way easier. You can even get a work permit if married, but not on a retirement extension.

Don't lose the piece of paper as they won't issue a replacement.

ChrisKC do not pay attention to the doom mongers.

Do what you are happy to do, be happy, if it goes tits up only you get hurt.

There are many good Thai ladies/ many bad,luck of the draw.

Be careful dont get carried away, take everything 1 step at a time.

Good luck, and happiness to you mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...All you need is an 'Affirmation of freedom to Marry' from your Embassy or nearest Consulate.... presenting any other documentation will confuse matters. 

This 'Affirmation of Freedom to Marry' will, of course, need translating into to Thai and affirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The rest as simple as turning up at an Amphur office, with 2 friends as Witness (not required if your Thai is fluent or if the Amphur is less stringent in precisely following regulations).

Edited by richard_smith237

On 3/26/2018 at 5:37 PM, Phuket Man said:
On 3/26/2018 at 5:37 PM, Phuket Man said:

You need an Affirmation to Marry.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand

You are officially married once you register at the Amphur.

All the other stuff means nothing apart from a hit on your bank account.

How Sad, still each to his own i guess.

9 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Thats your opinion, i guess you got lucky, common sense says dont do it, not in this Bloody place, have a relationship by all means if thats what you need in your life, however making it all legal by Marriage is asking for a Boat load of Trouble if it goes Tits up further down the line,i find that those who remain single are far happier and content, and alot Richer!    :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Acemaker said:

Thats your opinion, i guess you got lucky, common sense says dont do it, not in this Bloody place, have a relationship by all means if thats what you need in your life, however making it all legal by Marriage is asking for a Boat load of Trouble if it goes Tits up further down the line,i find that those who remain single are far happier and content, and alot Richer!    :biggrin:

Yes thats my opinion, been married here twice first 1 total disaster, cost me time in Buriram prison, and more than 3 million baht.

Married again here, could not ask for a more honest/ loving caring wife.

To say those that remain single are happier BS.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

...All you need is an 'Affirmation of freedom to Marry' from your Embassy or nearest Consulate.... presenting any other documentation will confuse matters. 

This 'Affirmation of Freedom to Marry' will, of course, need translating into to Thai and affirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The rest as simple as turning up at an Amphur office, with 2 friends as Witness (not required if your Thai is fluent or if the Amphur is less stringent in precisely following regulations).

We had no witnesses of our own. The amphur staff witnessed it. My Thai was limited at that time and I had no need to say anything. I just signed where they told me to. I think she paid as it was only 20 baht or something like that.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Yes thats my opinion, been married here twice first 1 total disaster, cost me time in Buriram prison, and more than 3 million baht.

Married again here, could not ask for a more honest/ loving caring wife.

To say those that remain single are happier BS.

So you were lucky second time. That's just luck of the draw. Mine was lovely till she wasn't. My only luck was her giving me an uncontested divorce.

Some will be lucky and happy, others won't. There are no guarantees.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So you were lucky second time. That's just luck of the draw. Mine was lovely till she wasn't. My only luck was her giving me an uncontested divorce.

Some will be lucky and happy, others won't. There are no guarantees.

Look at my post number 18 luck of the draw is exactly what i said.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We had no witnesses of our own. The amphur staff witnessed it. My Thai was limited at that time and I had no need to say anything. I just signed where they told me to. I think she paid as it was only 20 baht or something like that.

Neither did I... But the First Amphur refused to marry us as my Thai wasn't 'good enough'... I'd answered one of the 'officers' questions incorrectly "When did you First come here?" I answered in Thai "10 Years ago"... she asked again, and I answered the same.... It turns out they required a 'date'... to which I asked, they 'Why didn't ask on which Date I First came to Thailand?'... 

As it turned out, we simply had an *officer who for whatever reasons decided she didn't like us and didn't want to be in the least bit helpful so used a weak regulation (my imperfect Thai) as an excuse not to permit us Marriage. Had we had two witnesses she would not have had the option to reject us (or may have found another reason). 

(*As sometimes happenes here in Thailand when for whatever reasons someone is having a bad day, they are jealous etc etc etc... they choose to be obstructive instead of helpful, just for kicks)

When pushing the issue this lady officer pointed out that as my Thai was not fluent I may be there on false pretenses and foolishly pointed out that I could actually end up marrying a hooker !!...  My Wife was not best pleased.... Ultimately, it was that comment which cost this lady her job (FiL was not best pleased either !).

Following the rejection from the initial Amphur office, my Wife and I drove straight to Bang Rak where we were married in a matter of minutes without issue and were told no witnesses were required, that my Thai was fine (I actually believe that so many foreigners marry at Bangkrak that they don't actually care if we speak Thai or not !).

So... As a regulation, witnesses are a requirement for non-fluent Thai speakers, but this requirement is handled differently at different offices.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Neither did I... But the First Amphur refused to marry us as my Thai wasn't 'good enough'... I'd answered one of the 'officers' questions incorrectly "When did you First come here?" I answered in Thai "10 Years ago"... she asked again, and I answered the same.... It turns out they required a 'date'... to which I asked, they 'Why didn't ask on which Date I First came to Thailand?'... 

As it turned out, we simply had an *officer who for whatever reasons decided she didn't like us and didn't want to be in the least bit helpful so used a weak regulation (my imperfect Thai) as an excuse not to permit us Marriage. Had we had two witnesses she would not have had the option to reject us (or may have found another reason). 

(*As sometimes happenes here in Thailand when for whatever reasons someone is having a bad day, they are jealous etc etc etc... they choose to be obstructive instead of helpful, just for kicks)

When pushing the issue this lady officer pointed out that as my Thai was not fluent I may be there on false pretenses and foolishly pointed out that I could actually end up marrying a hooker !!...  My Wife was not best pleased.... Ultimately, it was that comment which cost this lady her job (FiL was not best pleased either !).

Following the rejection from the initial Amphur office, my Wife and I drove straight to Bang Rak where we were married in a matter of minutes without issue and were told no witnesses were required, that my Thai was fine (I actually believe that so many foreigners marry at Bangkrak that they don't actually care if we speak Thai or not !).

So... As a regulation, witnesses are a requirement for non-fluent Thai speakers, but this requirement is handled differently at different offices.

Your Thai wasnt fluent, hells teeth i sat on a chair, was never asked anything, just sign here job done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Your Thai wasnt fluent, hells teeth i sat on a chair, was never asked anything, just sign here job done.

Quite...  At Bang Rak they asked me a minimal amount of questions in Thai (filling out some check-box' paper-work)... The lady officer at the initial Amphur office was a particularly sour and a somewhat poisonous character, clearly using her position to release whatever frustrations driving her bitterness. 

She refused to provide her name when asked, we instead took the name of her supervisor who was later contacted about the issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Got to agree with you to a point. I cannot believe it is luck of the draw more than getting to know the person and making the decision with the big head. Most of the "bad" marriages I have seen have resulted from behavior that was plainly exhibited before the marriage--on both parts.

• Like 1