Pattaya to Korat by bike

Ian1980

If you're needing satnav, I've found google navigation on a bike using earphones a bit of a pain because it keeps changing the route as it finds quicker routes on the way. Sometimes it will take you on roads not meant for motorbikes.

I find even going to Ban Chang tiring from Pattaya on a Click. Consider breaking the trip up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 28/03/2018 at 7:50 PM, KhunBENQ said:

90 k's = 90 km/h?

Why that on a 300 km route?

And keeping 90 km/h average on a Wave is unreal and bloody dangerous.

More like 50 km/h average and 6 hour travel time (without breaks).

Or just do it from dusk to dawn in a cozy way, enjoy a couple of breaks and the views in Khao Yai.

I get 95 out of my wave.

What you have to do is lie down like a plank of wood with your legs straight out behind you and your head tucked down behind the handlebars.

Mind you, wouldn't want to do it for 6 hours all the way to Korat, so I think your suggestion sounds about right.

I did the journey years ago on a 125 but at that time they were still tarmacing the road over the mountains and most of it was just gravel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a 5 hour journey in a car, so 6 hours on the bike if you take it easy..

No problem.

I tend to try to keep at a good speed (90) to keep in the flow of traffic, and stop every hour or so.

Just wear a good jacket and gloves for sun protection.

The roads good all the way.

Edited by Andyfez
  • Like 1

I've done  Phitsanulok to Pattaya in one day a few times on a PCX 150, Although I prefer to split the journey in two

The bike's design allows for more leg positions and having the bag strapped to back seat provided a nice backrest. Wouldn't fancy it on a Wave

Furthest I've travelled in one day is 550 km

Having been directed towards building sites, dead ends and motorways. I came to the conclusion that the combination of Bangkok, motorcycles and satnav are far from conducive to a stress free journey

Anything over 100-150 kms a day on a scooter is just a pain in the ass (literally). If you split it up and rest for 1 or 2 nights you'll be okay. Be aware that this road is quite busy. Not sure if you will enjoy it that much. I'd rather take some back roads.

• Like 1

Have you done a risk assessment?

How old are you?

Have you ridden for distances in the past?

What is your experience.

Your question cannot be answered with the information you’ve given.

Majority of accidents happen due to people’s incompetence.

What is your skillset, I think very low as outlined in your question.

Put the bike in a postal truck or one of the buses.

Safe travels.

Personally, I wouldn't take a Honda Wave on a long trip. I used to do 80km commutes out of Chiang Mai on similar bikes, and the problem was the speed differential with the rest of the traffic. I might be doing 60 or 80 and the Isuzu d-max coming up behind me would be doing 130+. I never felt safe in those circumstances. Not that I am likely to travel at high speeds on a bigger bike, but I want to have a measure of flexibility.  

But it's better than riding a bicycle down the highway, I guess. 
Can't you ride in the inside mostly? That seems to be what the Thais do, and takes a way the problem of the speed differential

2 minutes ago, wump said:

Anything over 100-150 kms a day on a scooter is just a pain in the ass (literally). If you split it up and rest for 1 or 2 nights you'll be okay. Be aware that this road is quite busy. Not sure if you will enjoy it that much. I'd rather take some back roads.

I have done the trip many many times over my 28 years here.  Never on a Wave though.  Smallest bike was a Honda CBR 150.  Then a Honda Phantom 200.  And now a Honda Rebel 300.  Always go the 304/331 route.  Taking my time with several small pit stops, about a 6 hour ride.  Don't know of any "back roads" though.  In fact doing the round trip again next month, April 6.

6 minutes ago, rickjza said:

Have you done a risk assessment?

How old are you?

Have you ridden for distances in the past?

What is your experience.

Your question cannot be answered with the information you’ve given.

Majority of accidents happen due to people’s incompetence.

What is your skillset, I think very low as outlined in your question.

Put the bike in a postal truck or one of the buses.

Safe travels.

<deleted> he is riding a bike for 300 ks. It's not rocket science. Watch your back, stay as far left as possible and you'll be alright. The main issue will be sitting uncomfortable after a few hours. He won't have an issue with brakes overheating as Waves are manual. I wouldn't choose it as a leisure trip but is is definitely doable.

Post the bike for 300 kms? You serious?

Edited by wump
  • Like 1

Several years ago I did Koh Samui to Nong bua daeng, Chaiyaphum. on a Kawasaki Kazi 125 ( which is the Kawa equivalent of a wave), took 3 days. You have to be a confident rider, & have a newish or very well maintained scooter. You also need to ride close to flat out, 90 to 100 kmph otherwise far too dangerous in the traffic. Quite possible but not very comfortable, & if not a skilled rider it'd be much more sensible to put it in the post & take a bus. NOT a minibus or a Double Decker as you do want to get there...

1 hour ago, Denim said:

I get 95 out of my wave.

What you have to do is lie down like a plank of wood with your legs straight out behind you and your head tucked down behind the handlebars.

Good to read that there are members who know what a wave is and how 90 with a Wave feels.

19 minutes ago, wump said:

<deleted> he is riding a bike for 300 ks. It's not rocket science. Watch your back, stay as far left as possible and you'll be alright. The main issue will be sitting uncomfortable after a few hours. He won't have an issue with brakes overheating as Waves are manual. I wouldn't choose it as a leisure trip but is is definitely doable.

Post the bike for 300 kms? You serious?

Agree with "not rocket science".

If you are not on the flight it can be done during daylight without too much stress.

"Post": yes, Thai post offers such service ("Logispost").

It's available from post office to post office.

About all stuff from 20 to 400 kg.

• Like 1

Doable just avoid, where possible, any roads with less than 4 digits in the number. Take your time.  Take a litre of spare fuel for peace of mind.

No advice about stopping often as you will be doing that for fuel!  learn to spot the roadside petrol kiosks!

Learn how many kms your bike will travel on a tank of fuel. Use that to plan your stops.

16 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Agree with "not rocket science".

If you are not on the flight it can be done during daylight without too much stress.

"Post": yes, Thai post offers such service ("Logispost").

It's available from post office to post office.

About all stuff from 20 to 400 kg.

I'm off for a bike ride....................the bikes with the post office on the way to Korat............can somebody give me a lift to the bus station so i can go find my bike and actually ride it please? 5555555555555555

Edited by chrissables

Just listen to the positive comments about this. It´s no problem at all to make that kind of ride on a wave. I have been going from Petchabun to Ban Phe/Koh Samet on a Fino. It worked very good and I got to see alot of the surroundings. I also took the long ride, with driving over Pitsanulok too.

After that I have been making a lot of driving shorter like you wish to do. Just have fun and be carful in traffic.

Now I still do thoose little bit crazy rides, but on a 300cc CBR. That one is an optimal choice when it comes to the Thai roads, just because you don´t need to go as quick as other bigger bikes can do.

Do not care about the 90 km/h either. That´s just crazy shit coming from people that belive they can ride a bike. You always drive in a speed suitable for you.

On 3/29/2018 at 4:00 AM, BEVUP said:

Learn to ride' it's a highway

I guess you are the one in posession of the learning curve. :cheesy:

• Like 1