Pattaya to Korat by bike

Ian1980

3 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Most things you put your mind to can be accomplished.....you know the old saying...."Where there's a will....there's a way".

I think by the comments I’ve read the saying is

Hope for the best and expect the worst.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wump said:

<deleted> he is riding a bike for 300 ks. It's not rocket science. Watch your back, stay as far left as possible and you'll be alright. The main issue will be sitting uncomfortable after a few hours. He won't have an issue with brakes overheating as Waves are manual. I wouldn't choose it as a leisure trip but is is definitely doable.

Post the bike for 300 kms? You serious?

The post could be from a 15yo child with little or no riding experience.

There have been comments on this post that have not been thought through.

Poor feedback.

11 minutes ago, rickjza said:

The post could be from a 15yo child with little or no riding experience.

There have been comments on this post that have not been thought through.

Poor feedback.

Quotes from people that have ridden in Thailand and surrounding countries are positive, there seems to be a lot of negativity from some. Maybe the kind of people who worry to much and do little, i don't know, but its only just over 300km, if you can't ride that far it may be time to think about not riding at all.

On 3/28/2018 at 9:00 PM, siamcrut said:

Do wear a full face helmet, or you will eat a lot of dust and bugs.

Neck gaiter. Not sayin' full face helmet isn't a good idea anyway for obvious reasons.

image.jpeg.eab7d80cf72c4b73e84dd46ac903025b.jpeg

On 3/28/2018 at 7:50 PM, KhunBENQ said:

90 k's = 90 km/h?

Why that on a 300 km route?

And keeping 90 km/h average on a Wave is unreal and bloody dangerous.

More like 50 km/h average and 6 hour travel time (without breaks).

Or just do it from dusk to dawn in a cozy way, enjoy a couple of breaks and the views in Khao Yai.

50 km/h might be a bit slow. What about 70? I think that's the right speed, of course, should the driver have a lot of experience. I'd start very early in the morning and enjoy the ride. Maybe an hour, or two at the national park...

Do an oil change, check the lights and of course your brakes and tire pressure. Tires get very hot!!

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Just listen to the positive comments about this. It´s no problem at all to make that kind of ride on a wave. I have been going from Petchabun to Ban Phe/Koh Samet on a Fino. It worked very good and I got to see alot of the surroundings. I also took the long ride, with driving over Pitsanulok too.

After that I have been making a lot of driving shorter like you wish to do. Just have fun and be carful in traffic.

Now I still do thoose little bit crazy rides, but on a 300cc CBR. That one is an optimal choice when it comes to the Thai roads, just because you don´t need to go as quick as other bigger bikes can do.

Do not care about the 90 km/h either. That´s just crazy shit coming from people that belive they can ride a bike. You always drive in a speed suitable for you.

I guess you are the one in posession of the learning curve. :cheesy:

A Fino???? Bet it cost you a fortune in fuel.

A friend did Phuket to Chiang Rai and back on a scooter, but he is young. But he enjoyed himself, and that is what it is ultimately about. I did Phuket to Wichian Buri, then to Cambodia and back the same route. My mistake was it was in May/June and it was bloody hot all the time.

I’ve gone on long rides in US and tried to stay off the main interstates. The reason was to enjoy the ride and see things you don’t see flying down the highway. Rode 15,000 km in 30 days throughout US. On big bike... not easy to access phone...peace and quiet. 

Rider make sure to be careful downhill if raining. Riding the Golden Triangle up to the north saw a few downhill aggressive riders slidedown the slope on their ass ....rented a 500 cc Bike was good for the type of ride. 

My advice would be for you to set your own comfortable pace and keep alert to what is happening around you and have plenty of breaks to relieve the old human rear end. You are not in a race so if it takes you 7 or 8 hours who cares just do it safely. If you leave at 7 in the morning and you arrive at 5 in the afternoon who cares at least you have arrived safely and that is 10 hours

I drove from Na Yai Am 2 times on my honda wave 140 KLMs took on average 3 to 3.5 hours, you are talking abour 322 KLMs, probably looking at 7 to 8 hours with stops.Very uncomfortable and dangerous, I would not do it again.

This will keep you off the busiest main roads.  

3376 to Pluak Daeng (3138 if leaving from Rayong)

3245 to Nong Yai

3245 to Sanam Chai Khet

304 north a bit towards Kabin Buri

359 to Sa Kaeo ( bit busy but not like 304)

3462 to Khon Buri through the hills

2071 to Chok Chai

224 to Nakon/Korat

Not the most direct route and SatNav won't do it on its own but much better than going on the main roads.

I did that route just a few days ago, there are major roadworks on the 304 over the mountains in both directions, and as far as I am aware there is no other way over the hills, some of the road surface is very good some of it is very poor, if it were me I would split the journey into 2 or 3 sections, take it easy and find somewhere to rest up and eat and have a few bevvies along the way so that you can enjoy the scenery which is pretty good.

Of course also be aware other road users coming at you (cars and motorbikes) against the flow of traffic, I saw both on our journey, and no matter how straight the road and how good the surface, disaster is always just a split second away, we passed a body wrapped in white sheet just before reaching Kabin Coffee at Kabin Buri and that road is as straight as a die.  

I have some pics of the roadworks taken by Mrs G T, I'll attach a few here in a few minutes.

Just seen VocalNeal' post, I stand corrected, but by heck that's a long long way around :biggrin:

DSC01451.JPG

DSC01453 - Copy.JPG

DSC01455.JPG

DSC01457.JPG

DSC01465.JPG

DSC01467.JPG

DSC01468.JPG

DSC01472.JPG

DSC01477.JPG

DSC01481.JPG

3 hours ago, Denim said:

Think Big and anything is possible :

Exactly!

The guy has been pretty much round the world on a clapped out Cub.

All this nonsense about 90 kmh cruising speeds, top notch, serviced, condition on a newish bike. What a load of claptrap.

Just get on yer bike and do it. And enjoy it.

Me personally, on a Wave, i'd be trying for a 60 kmph cruising speed with plenty of enjoyable stops on the way. Make a day of it. Dusk till dawn...

I've owned and ridden big bikes all my adult life, one of the best and funniest trips I've had was hiring clapped out Kolao (Korean copy Waves) from Vientienne and riding to Vang Vieng and back over a w/end - hilarious. All of us were experienced big bike owners, and the Wave copy was probably one of the best vehicles for that journey...

2 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Exactly!

All this nonsense about 90 kmh cruising speeds, top notch, serviced, condition on a newish bike. What a load of claptrap.

Me personally, on a Wave, i'd be trying for a 60 kmph cruising speed with plenty of enjoyable stops on the way. Make a day of it. Dusk till dawn...

I've owned and ridden big bikes all my adult life, one of the best and funniest trips I've had was hiring clapped out Kolao (Korean copy Waves) from Vientienne and riding to Vang Vieng and back over a w/end - hilarious. All of us were experienced big bike owners, and the Wave copy was probably one of the best vehicles for that journey...

I think you better check your post a re-phrase one line of it, because I would not do what you have stated and I don't think that there would be many others who would do it either

25 years ago I did many miles around Thailand on a big bike, the roads were a lot worse back then, but there was a lot less traffic. Now I prefer to sit in a safe AC car, many here are saying enjoy the journey? while i agree there is some great scenery in Thailand, I find little pleasure in driving or riding, the roads and drivers are nothing short of Manic! I for one get no pleasure out of driving it always a joy to arrive at your destination in one piece so would question if this would be a enjoyable ride or one of survival!

3 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I think you better check your post a re-phrase one line of it, because I would not do what you have stated and I don't think that there would be many others who would do it either

Had to re-read my post. Ah, yes, sorry I would not want dusk to dawn either on these roads.

DAWN to DUSK. There that's better...

I'm almost 56 Y, been riding bikes since i was knee high to a grasshopper, Planning to visit again in December, was looking at flying my partner to Hat Yai or Phuket, to meet up and then Buying something like a Water cooled Yamaha spark 135i  ,riding 2 up, from there  to Nam Nao, in the north, its about 1400K direct + sidetracks,

Planning to take it nice and easy, allocate 2 weeks for the trip, test the bedroom quality of lots of small resorts along the track, before arriving at the parents house, plan to ride 1-2 hours each day and enjoy the scenery and the night life,  then leave the bike in the north at the partners family farm when i return home.  Last year I bought her a  2011 Honda Click 125i, its a great bike to ride for short trips, but i found it a bit in comfortable for the longer rides, plus it was a little under-powered for the hills, ( especially with my big arse on it too ).

ive never ridden the 1351 before, i wanted to buy one instead of the click, but the partner fell in love with the white click with gold mags and i could not sway her..

anyone ridden the 135 on a long run with a pillion ??  combined weight will be about 150Kgs including baggage

41 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Just seen VocalNeal' post, I stand corrected, but by heck that's a long long way around :biggrin:

OP didn't say he wanted the shortest route:smile: He's riding a mocyc. Doesn't hurt to take the road less traveled. My route although not perfect runs parallel to the 331/304 route but avoids most main roads :thumbsup: It is not really that much longer distance wise. 

3 hours ago, Monkeyrobot said:

Stupid idea, the bike is to small .Hire a bike bike for a trip off that length.Better still hire a car with A/c . It’s hot as hell on the roads this time of year. 

Too small? I rode my PCX to the North of Laos, just take it steady and enjoy :)

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Exactly!

Great fun around Vang Vieng!

5 minutes ago, gintis0604 said:

I made it on a 1600 cc Yamaha. It was hard enough. 

On a Wave I would take it in 2 days. Make a brake before the mountains and start very early next day. 

2 days? Really? To ride 300 km? 

I really don't understand all the negativity, there is no need for it. Pattaya to Nong Khai (PCX + 650 Versys) in a day is not that hard, Korat is not even half way.

10 hours ago, chrissables said:

It's an easy ride 4/5 hours of steady riding on a small bike. Leave early morning and you will be there in time for lunch even with a break on the way.

Go round Maprachan lake and head for the 331 north. Stay on that until the 304, continue north over the mountains and down to Korat. 

I've ridden Pattaya to Nong Khai in a day no problems, Korat is easy. Although i would say make sure you are comfortable on the bike, if you are it's an easy trip.

I’m guessing you’ve done the trip on a big bike? I’m planning on doing Pattaya to Korat reasonably regularly soon myself. 

I’ve been inspecting the 2018 Triumph Speed Triple, tidy little bit of kit. 

If you have done the trip on a big bike what was ou approximate time Pattaya-Korat? I’ll be heading about 30mins north of Nakhon Ratchasima mostly 

*edit* just read your post above, sounds like 2-3hrs 

Archived