Pattaya to Korat by bike

Ian1980

3 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I’m guessing you’ve done the trip on a big bike? I’m planning on doing Pattaya to Korat reasonably regularly soon myself. 

I’ve been inspecting the 2018 Triumph Speed Triple, tidy little bit of kit. 

If you have done the trip on a big bike what was ou approximate time Pattaya-Korat? I’ll be heading about 30mins north of Nakhon Ratchasima mostly 

*edit* just read your post above, sounds like 2-3hrs 

Hi, i have rode my PCX and a bigger bike.

Check the service charges on the Triumph, they are very high.

PCX Pattaya to Nong Khai 10 + hrs Versys 650cc  about 8 1/2 hours. I don't really time myself between cities, just start to finish. I don't race, but for me there are no interesting stops so i keep riding.

• Thanks 1

In short, it's a stupid idea.

These light motorcycles are used by Thais to go to the market and bring and get their brood to school.

For short trips only.

For such a long trip you will experience multiple breakdowns.

Good luck!:unsure:

4 minutes ago, bandito said:

In short, it's a stupid idea.

These light motorcycles are used by Thais to go to the market and bring and get their brood to school.

For short trips only.

For such a long trip you will experience multiple breakdowns.

Good luck!:unsure:

Why do you think there will be multiple breakdowns ? There is no evidence that smaller bikes are more prone to accidents than big ones.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Denim said:

Why do you think there will be multiple breakdowns ? There is no evidence that smaller bikes are more prone to accidents than big ones.

Experience!

My son worked 3 months last year as a pizza driver and clocked on his Honda Wave 100 to 150 km daily.

Spend thousands of baht on tyres and repairs like new pistons, broken exhaust pipe (3x), new shocks etc.etc.

2x hit and run by pickup and passenger fan, landed both times on his (expensive) mc helmet.

Had to go get him 2x because he stood on the side of the road with a broken down motorcycle.

Does that answer your question?

Again I wish you good luck! :cowboy:

28 minutes ago, bandito said:

Experience!

My son worked 3 months last year as a pizza driver and clocked on his Honda Wave 100 to 150 km daily.

Spend thousands of baht on tyres and repairs like new pistons, broken exhaust pipe (3x), new shocks etc.etc.

2x hit and run by pickup and passenger fan, landed both times on his (expensive) mc helmet.

Had to go get him 2x because he stood on the side of the road with a broken down motorcycle.

Does that answer your question?

Again I wish you good luck! :cowboy:

Must have been unlucky or the owners didn't maintain it properly.

My experience after years of ownership is that if you maintain them well and keep your cruising speed reasonable , around 65 for the 100 wave or 80 for the 125 , they will go on forever.

Check out the video posted earlier of people using secondhand ones to ride from Alaska to Argentina.

If I were riding to Korat myself on a wave I would be worrying about other road users more than the wave.

Even on a larger bike a rural pick up driver can take you out through bad driving. Not to mention speeding lorries.

• Like 2