For TOT Fibre users

janclaes47

TOT (and other Thai ISPs) test results are available in the Testmy.net database...provides broad speed results.  But what you don't know from the database results is what speed package a person has although it can be deducted sometimes like if someone is pulling 180Mb speeds to Singapore then they must be on a 200Mb speed plan.  So, asking folks to identify their speed plan along with their speed results is good thing.

Go to the below Testmy.net webpage/query...then click on ISP Rank...then click on TOT.  From that point you can see recent TOT speed results...can drill down further for more specific/detailed result such as just checking TOT results to Singapore or whatever Testmy.net server location...etc.   

https://testmy.net/country/th

Note: As FYI only, AIS Wireless and AIS Fibre shown at above webpage/in below snapshot are one in the same...both are really AIS Fibre. However, how your AIS Fibre account is setup/what speed package you have determines whether Testmy.net identifies you as on AIS Wireless or AIS Fibre.  I'm on an AIS Fibre 200/50 plan and my Testmy.net results use to be logged under the AIS Fibre listing but now my results are logged under AIS Wireless listing as that is what Testmy.net detects.  And AIS "Mobile" is a separate listing.  

image.png.fb6cbc62821f45b74eb994235264338c.png

11 minutes ago, Pib said:

TOT (and other Thai ISPs) test results are available in the Testmy.net database...provides broad speed results.  But what you don't know from the database results is what speed package a person has although it can be deducted sometimes like if someone is pulling 180Mb speeds to Singapore then they must be on a 200Mb speed plan.  So, asking folks to identify their speed plan along with their speed results is good thing.

Go to the below Testmy.net webpage/query...then click on ISP Rank...then click on TOT.  From that point you can see recent TOT speed results...can drill down further for more specific/detailed result such as just checking TOT results to Singapore or whatever Testmy.net server location...etc.   

https://testmy.net/country/th

Note: As FYI only, AIS Wireless and AIS Fibre shown at above webpage/in below snapshot are one in the same...both are really AIS Fibre. However, how your AIS Fibre account is setup/what speed package you have determines whether Testmy.net identifies you as on AIS Wireless or AIS Fibre.  I'm on an AIS Fibre 200/50 plan and my Testmy.net results use to be logged under the AIS Fibre listing but now my results are logged under AIS Wireless listing as that is what Testmy.net detects.  And AIS "Mobile" is a separate listing.  

image.png.fb6cbc62821f45b74eb994235264338c.png

Thanks for the useful tip, I wasn't aware of that function.

Though when I select CAT, which I always thought was one of the most reliable companies in Thailand, and select only download I can't believe my eyes as they are at about 10% of TOT or 3BB.

Hardly can find a result above 1 Mbps.

Am I really that mistaken about CAT, or does this indicate an error in the results?

Reason also i ask is that I'm currently with 3BB VDSL 30/10 Mb.

My download from UK is about 10Mbps, which is not too bad for the price, but my upload to Bangkok using 3BB test server is 3 Mbps. ( download 33 Mbps).

This is going on for more than a year already.

The other day the technician offered me to test the fibre free of charge. He showed me test results to London with testmy.net at night of 29 Mbps, so I said if i get half of that I'm happy.

So they installed the fibre and did the test. 9 Mbps down and 23 Mbps up to London. Tried other European and US based cities with similar results.

They even enabled inter package and maximum capacity. I saw 1 Gb up and down to Bangkok, but my download speed to Europe never exeeded 11 Mbps, while upload was always over 20 Mbps.

Needless to say that I told them to pack in their stuff again.

What am i missing here?

TOT is the only other available provider in my area.

I'm on a 50Mb Down / 15 Mb Up package 630 THB per Month, Rural Buriram.

(Ps: This is village Fiber, which means that near the "Village Office" everyone can use the Wireless for free so that can affect the speed a lot)

Download :: 16.9 Mbps Upload :: 9.6 Mbps

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

I'm on the ToT 200 down / 80 up package, 1,280 Baht per month. Pathum Thani area.

Tests at 114.5 Mbps down 17.4Mbps up to the TesyMy.net London server.

Keep doing more Testmy.net tests...you'll help up TOT's average results.  :tongue:   Looks like you pulled an even better speed to London in another test with a 130.09Mb down result....you also got a 171.96Mb result to Tokyo.  See snapshot below.   TOT seems to be moving right along for you. 

As we speak TOT is installing a fiber optics trunk line in my western Bangkok moobaan....probably another month or so to complete....then I will have 3 choices of high speed internet providers: True with DOCSIS (cable), AIS with fiber, and TOT with fiber.  Almost 10 years ago when I moved into this moobaan my only choice of internet providers was TOT and all they had was ADSL at a max speed of 2 (two) Mb.   How times have changed.

image.png.9eccf6ff8bb47ef3c7547ed5a7717d53.png

21 minutes ago, Pib said:

Looks like you pulled an even better speed to London in another test with a 130.09Mb down result....you also got a 171.96Mb result to Tokyo.  See snapshot below.   TOT seems to be moving right along for you. 

It are all different TID's. Doesn't that mean it are different users?

11 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Thanks for the useful tip, I wasn't aware of that function.

Though when I select CAT, which I always thought was one of the most reliable companies in Thailand, and select only download I can't believe my eyes as they are at about 10% of TOT or 3BB.

Hardly can find a result above 1 Mbps.

Am I really that mistaken about CAT, or does this indicate an error in the results?

CAT is really not a big player in "retail internet plans" to the everyday customer like True, 3BB, AIS, TOT, etc....CAT concentrates on business customers and selling its services to other internet companies.   Since CAT don't have a lot of retail customers who are typically the ones doing speed tests on a variety of speedtesters such at Testmy.net, Speedtest.net, etc., you probably will not find a lot of speed test result on Testmy.net.   

But looking at the testmy.net database for CAT...looking at the last 250 test results to Singapore which goes back 5 months, 12 days (that's not a lot of tests over such a longer period), there are some people getting results faster than 1Mb...one person over 100Mb....others in the 40 to 60Mb ballparks

image.png.8692b837dd6bd6e74c97ea1d47948de6.png

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Big Brother is watching me :sad:

Rumor has it testmy.net sold your test results to Facebook who in-turn resold it to Cambridge Analytic who in-turn resold it to the Trump Election Campaign which used the data to target American expats in Thailand to vote for Donald rTump.  So, this means you are at least partially responsible for getting Donald tRump elected.  :tongue:

28 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

It are all different TID's. Doesn't that mean it are different users?

It not TIDs that link a test to a specific user as the TID changes for each and every test. 

It's the  "CONNECTID" that can tie together tests done by the same user---but that CONNECTID is short lived (X-hours) before another CONNECTID is issued. 

If a person did a bunch of tests over a short period, say 10 different tests over 30 minutes, those 10 tests would  probably all have the same CONECTID.  Once the person leaves the testmy.net webpage for X-amount of time which varies and then comes back later he will issued a new CONNECTID. 

How long that X-amount of time lasts before a new CONNECTID is issued seems to be around just a few hours...or if the person deletes the testmy.net cookie from their browser...or is a person turns off-on/restarts their computer...or if person makes new internet connection....etc.  It's short lived.  But it can last up to a whole day sometimes if a person is doing a lot of testmy.net tests over and over during the day....not breaking from testmy.net long enough for it to issue a new CONNECTID.   

Like in the testmy.net database snapshot below the CONNECTID's circled at the "bottom" of the snapshot are all the same CONNECTID...so it's the same person.  But each and every TID is different as new TIDs are issued for each and every test.

Capture.JPG.bd58b1827584c374dc3c5d74f27df649.JPG

Just ran the speedtest with a LAN connection rather than wireless.

Download :: 27.7 Mbps 3.5 MB/s   Upload :: 14.7 Mbps 1.8 MB/s

TOT had to replace my original Forth modem wifi/router which died. What they replaced it with was a new Forth modem with a separate Zyxel wifi router, the new setup gives me highly variable wifi results. I think I need to get them back out.

The Zyxel unit looks distinctly 2nd hand!

2 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Just ran the speedtest with a LAN connection rather than wireless.

Download :: 27.7 Mbps 3.5 MB/s   Upload :: 14.7 Mbps 1.8 MB/s

TOT had to replace my original Forth modem wifi/router which died. What they replaced it with was a new Forth modem with a separate Zyxel wifi router, the new setup gives me highly variable wifi results. I think I need to get them back out.

Wifi is always unstable, you get a good connection by LAN.

Gonna sign up with TOT on Monday, as I'm sick of the incompetent 3BB idiots, oops i mean ENGINEERS obviously

On 30/03/2018 at 2:05 PM, Stocky said:

I'd been thinking of switching the Zyxel router for a Linksys I have, but TOT didn't give the password for the PPPoE setup to the modem. However, whilst playing with the router settings today, I discovered when updating the setup page, FireFox prompted me to save the password, clicking on show password revealed the modem password. So this afternoon I was able to replace the TOT Zyxel with my own Linksys router.

WiFi connection is running faster, now getting around 20Mbps download speeds to the Testmy.net London server, previously it was around 10Mbps.

On 28/03/2018 at 8:07 AM, alphason said:

50/20 package (I think, 700baht pm) Phuket

Using the site you specify, 35Mbps down 10Mbps up (wifi connection)

Take note that if you just enter testmy.net in a browser it will default to Singapore server, and you will have to manually select london server from the test servers tab in the top right corner.

I only say because your speed is surprisingly good for the package you have.

13 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I only say because your speed is surprisingly good for the package you have.

Actually the TOT Fiber 2 U 50/20 package for Bht700 is a good package. Since around New Year we  seem to have been upgraded, as speedtests to a local server usually yield around 70/20; though my bill still says 50/20. International connections are obviously more variable, but to Singapore I usually get around 60/15, and to the UK 30/10. My Android box happily gets 25+ to my UK VPS via a powerline adapter up to the 4th floor.

I know results vary depending on location, but in Hat Yai we've always been pretty happy with TOT. We've been customers for nearly 15 years, from dial-up through ADSL to Fibre. Connections are reliable, barring trucks hitting poles, and customer service is generally good.

TOT Fibre 2 U 100/50 package (700Bht)

Testmy.net  UK server

Download :: 33.7 Mbps 4.2 MB/s (200MB file)
Upload :: 16.8 Mbps 2.1 MB/s (50MB file)

Testmy.net  Singapore server

Download :: 109.9 Mbps 13.7 MB/s (200MB file)

Upload :: 47.8 Mbps 6 MB/s (50MB file)

They just upgraded my connection from 50/20 to 100/50.

Archived