Strange

swissie

Risking of being accused of trolling, here it is:
Have Lenovo Laptop. Stationary, I never use it on Battery-Power.
- But in 1 to 2 week intervals (while Laptop is in use), the Battery can discharge within 10 minutes. Going from 100% charge down to 2%. Then, automatic shutdown. I restart, Battery will recharge from 2% to 10% within ca 30 minutes. The charging from 10% to 100% will only take ca 10 minutes. After 1 to 2 weeks, the same thing happens again.
Crazy! What's going on?
No troll. Cheers.

I remember Lenovo ThinkPads have a function for the battery not to charge 100% and charge to different levels (maybe 95-98%).

Maybe this is related to this that the battery is automatically refreshed from time to time.

This is just an idea.

I use my ThinkPad with battery and I never observed that happening.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Bet you can not remove the battery.

One of the worst states for a Li-Ion battery is 100% full all the time.

I'm always confused on this... Because, lithium batteries also have a limited number of charge-recharge cycles before they expire. By constantly charging and discharging the battery, you're burning through those cycles.

I've got a10+ year old Toshiba laptop that for most of its life has been kept fully charged as a desk computer. Only rarely take it out on the road. And it's still running today with the original battery installed that still holds a charge.

Flipside, I had a relatively new Android smartphone that I kept fully charged most of the time because it was a backup. Within less than a year after purchase, the battery began swelling and popped the back cover off the phone. I'm pretty sure that was simply a defective battery, not a function of having been kept charged for the 8 months or so before it swelled up.

As I said, I'm eternally confused on this subject.

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm always confused on this... Because, lithium batteries also have a limited number of charge-recharge cycles before they expire. By constantly charging and discharging the battery, you're burning through those cycles.

I've got a10+ year old Toshiba laptop that for most of its life has been kept fully charged as a desk computer. Only rarely take it out on the road. And it's still running today with the original battery installed that still holds a charge.

Flipside, I had a relatively new Android smartphone that I kept fully charged most of the time because it was a backup. Within less than a year after purchase, the battery began swelling and popped the back cover off the phone. I'm pretty sure that was simply a defective battery, not a function of having been kept charged for the 8 months or so before it swelled up.

As I said, I'm eternally confused on this subject.

The 10 year old computer does not have a Lithium battery.

As far as I remember NiCad batteries (I guess that is what is in that old computer)  should be fully charged and they lose capazity if they are not at least from time to time fully charged.

"Lithium batteries" (there are several types) should be stored best at about 1/2 charge. Fully charged and not charged at all are bad.

But please don't ask me how you can keep batteries 1/2 charged in a notebook.

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The 10 year old computer does not have a Lithium battery.

Sorry, wrong about that... But your question made me wonder, so I double-checked:

5abb62e6e116c_2018-03-2816_38_30.jpg.0eb53d4018c56e797a5d65bf167eb49c.jpg

And actually, I pulled my purchase receipt, it's even older than 10 years now, bought in Nov. 2006.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Sorry, wrong about that... But your question made me wonder, so I double-checked:

5abb62e6e116c_2018-03-2816_38_30.jpg.0eb53d4018c56e797a5d65bf167eb49c.jpg

And actually, I pulled my purchase receipt, it's even older than 10 years now, bought in Nov. 2006.

Ok, thanks for the update. Somehow my memory must be wrong about how long these batteries are already in use - getting older...

On Laptops mainly are used LI-ION Batteries inside that Battery Pack for more then 15 years already, while Tablets mainly using LI-PO Batteries (Lithium Polymer) which are those which swelling on end of the life cycle.

In some of the Lenovo Models (the S10-3T as an example), they're using 2 different styles of LI-ION Batteries inside the Battery Pak:

• 4 Cells like the UltraFire 18650 4800mAh, 3.7V LI-ION
  • 4 Cells, squared format 50mm x 33mm x 10mm, also 3.7V, without spec printed on it.

Main_O_47.png

Nominal that Battery Pack works on 7.4V and 68Wh.

Normally the normal round Cell like those UltraFire cells could be exchanged in a Battery pack of a Laptop, and get the Pack back to work. Important is that the electronic circuit board is still in order and ok!

If the Battery Pack is like that Lenovo Pack (pic above), I don't think that you could find those squared cells here in Thailand, I never saw those!

I've never seen or heard of a laptop using NICAD batteries (might be some...just never seen/heard of any); laptops use lithium Ion batteries.  My two 10 year old Toshiba laptops use  lithium ion batteries just like my much newer Lenovo laptops.   

The quality of the battery and how they are used (i.e., charge levels kept, charge cycles accumulated, etc) will cause battery lifespan to vary greatly from person to person.    And of course the charging circuit used for the battery has an impact.  Numerous factors in play.