Tourists can't just come and do as they please, says Thai media

webfact

14 minutes ago, mok199 said:

all about saving face through deflection..make the opponent look bad so we look better ,because without deflection , Thailand looks the fool

Indeed.

A lot of super deflection going on at the moment and will it become much,much worse..

You can also expect a mort of Quisling's to be pounding the key board at the moment.

Edited by Odysseus123

19 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

I thank you for your pearls of wisdom and great insights into Thai culture. As of tomorrow I shall make every effort to join you in the "real world". I would thank my mother but she passed away a few years ago.

My mother died years ago too, but is not missed.

My insight into Thai culture seems to be from a different perspective to yours. We could both be correct? It depends upon who you interact with and their social standing. If it is only one strata then you will not get a balanced view.

I hope anyone new to Thailand reading this can learn from both of our experiences.

Best wishes for the future.

Catch you on another thread sometime.

:jap:

• Like 1

In October 2016, after King Rama 9 had passed away, police officers used to tell people not to sit in front of his picture at Mike shopping mall in Pattaya. To respect his memory. After a couple of months there was no problem any more to sit there. And after some more time, I saw two drunk Thai ladies fighting under the very eyes of their late king, one of them trying to hit the other one with a bottle.

"Tourists can't just come and do as they please", no we can not. Yet the local people do exactly this.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, smtsetup said:

In October 2016, after King Rama 9 had passed away, police officers used to tell people not to sit in front of his picture at Mike shopping mall in Pattaya. To respect his memory. After a couple of months there was no problem any more to sit there. And after some more time, I saw two drunk Thai ladies fighting under the very eyes of their late king, one of them trying to hit the other one with a bottle.

"Tourists can't just come and do as they please", no we can not. Yet the local people do exactly this.

youre suggesting they post police at every picture of the late king??

3 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

youre suggesting they post police at every picture of the late king??

Its  pretty obvious what he is saying, morning

Edited by kannot
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 8:25 AM, kannot said:

Oh you mean like walking on Yellowstone parks "KEEP OFF" areas, ok pal so inform your own  flock first.

So i must respect Thai ways?? ok so ...ok to throw  rubbish anywhere ( when no one is  looking or  looking round by me) Ok to drive  into oncoming traffic, Ok to overtake into oncoming traffic, ok to not wear a helmet....... so PLEASE , WHICH RULES exactly do and DO NOT  apply???????????? selective in the extreme 

The above are  "all Thai ways" and  YOU want me to "respect" them!!

And what about rampant wild dogs everywhere some carrying rabies.  I suppose that's OK also. Hmmmm.

I agree, Tourists should demonstrate respect for another nations culture, but on the other hand Thais should exercise far greater respect toward themselves plus surroundings.

Jumping red lights! No helmets with more than two on a bike, and so on, and on and on...

A case of the kettle calling the pot black!

Take for example the recent mass cleaning projects undertaken  in Bangkok. The filth and pollution is just a very small proportion of what its really like nationwide, and who generates the mass bulk of the pollution, filth and mess? 

One guess comes to mind.

The foreigner is used as  a smoke screen to hide the incompetence of Thais when they loose face.

In my opinion, many tourists intentionally do their best to be respectable and polite, but sadly from my observations and in general, most Thais come across as being rude, brash, racist and uncaring, demonstrating a carefree, flippant attitude toward life.

The expression I constantly hear is, "its okay no problem, can do, no one say nothing".

They should consider getting their own house in order before pointing fingers...

11 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

I agree, Tourists should demonstrate respect for another nations culture, but on the other hand Thais should exercise far greater respect toward themselves plus surroundings.

Jumping red lights! No helmets with more than two on a bike, and so on, and on and on...

A case of the kettle calling the pot black!

Take for example the recent mass cleaning projects undertaken  in Bangkok. The filth and pollution is just a very small proportion of what its really like nationwide, and who generates the mass bulk of the pollution, filth and mess? 

One guess comes to mind.

The foreigner is used as  a smoke screen to hide the incompetence of Thais when they loose face.

In my opinion, many tourists intentionally do their best to be respectable and polite, but sadly from my observations and in general, most Thais come across as being rude, brash, racist and uncaring, demonstrating a carefree, flippant attitude toward life.

The expression I constantly hear is, "its okay no problem, can do, no one say nothing".

They should consider getting their own house in order before pointing fingers...

lol! I love to see foreigners come to a country and criticize how the locals live especially when I think of how they would react if a bunch of foreigners came to their country and complain about how THEY live!!~

Actually, before you all jump on the anti Thai wagon this is actually a good idea, many countries do it 

& IT IS THERE TO PROTECT  the travelling public ,,,,,YOU.

If you declare something of great value going in or out saves the problem of having to pay duty on 

when going out or in,,,, think about it

lol! I love to see foreigners come to a country and criticize how the locals live especially when I think of how they would react if a bunch of foreigners came to their country and complain about how THEY live!!~

Not complain !just laugh as they have carnage on the roads and the worst education in Asia ! Just accept it’s an undeveloped country ... and remaining so!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

Not complain !just laugh as they have carnage on the roads and the worst education in Asia ! Just accept it’s an undeveloped country ... and remaining so!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

so you find thais that you live among dying in highway carnage something to laugh about???!!! wow!

Keep your voice low and pleasant, but that doesn't include the sound truck running up and down the road extolling the virtues of a brand of WATER!!!  Be respectful of the government but don't infringe upon the right of the military to hold regular coups. Blah, blah...etc.

• Like 2

If Thailand, it's laws, customs and the Thai people themselves are so bad, why come and live in Thailand? Is there no other place to live? How about your own country (just for an example)?

Or are people been 'forced' to live in Thailand by some other unknown force?

:coffee1:

On 05/04/2018 at 8:41 AM, natway09 said:

Actually, before you all jump on the anti Thai wagon this is actually a good idea, many countries do it 

& IT IS THERE TO PROTECT  the travelling public ,,,,,YOU.

If you declare something of great value going in or out saves the problem of having to pay duty on 

when going out or in,,,, think about it

Got your threads in a twist I reckon mate ??

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 8:05 AM, Wuvu2 said:

Totally Ridiculous!

Thailand actively recruits >30 million tourists a year - about 1/2 the population of Thailand. Expecting a zero failure rate is unrealistic. Even if only .01% of tourists do something offensive that would still be  3,000 problems offending Thais. Thais need to get a thicker skin about these really minor screw ups and save the outrage for the really heinous stuff.

Why are the very most sacred sites open to Tourists in the first place? Because the Temples enjoy the income. The monastic body governs itself for the most part, and I doubt the government or social pressure could cause temples to shut their doors to tourists income. Clueless tourists are part of the deal.

Should these tourist know better - Not really - how much research is reasonable to expect for a two week holiday to a place you've never been?

Lighten up Thai society!  If you are that uptight aim at the right solution -  petition the very sacred Temples to close their doors to tourists  - expecting perfection from 30 million visitors is unrealistic!

Very well said.

Thank you Wuvu2

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, strewth mick said:

You have said something along the lines of......"if you don't like it then leave".

Yes, that´s exactly what I say. We have entirely too many complaining people in this country .At the same time they seem to be of the kind who likes to hurt themselfs. Why stay when so much is wrong, and everyday have the urge to complain about it. You are wrong, when you say that this thread got me. Nope, complaining got most of the people, and that´s a very sad thing.