Foreigner hangs himself, burns house down next to final message to wife: "You have stolen everything from me"

webfact

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

The golden mantra.....always be more worth alive then dead....

Never buy in somebody else's name.....leasehold seems a good alternative....have a will in both countries that clearly leaves the property to a family member of yours....and of course, avoid getting married, kids and if possible, pretend the house is rented even if it's on leasehold......any other good suggestions ?

Never buy a cow if you only want some milk. 

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this flood of posts condemning Thailand and Thai women......Let us not forget, that most of us live in relationships with hardworking, decent and honest Thai women.....Plenty of them out there.....:coffee1:

Hard luck stories like this could just as well happen in the US or Europe....

all these Thai women horror stories are like science fiction where the dead crew of a ship leaves a message behind warning anyone who finds the message to flee before it is too late.

but they away think it will be different for them.

2 hours ago, ajarnmarc said:

My girlfriend since 2005, who I have two children with, has apparently decided to do something very similar to me.

We have a business we made together, yet the paperwork is in her name, since the company isn't a Ltd. just private owner business.

We bought a truck together, where I paid the initial deposit of 150,000 bht, and thereafter we paid the monthly payments together, yet when the truck was finally paid off in 2014, the misses waited just two months to go about taking out a private loan for 500,000 bht from a loan agency in 2015.

I never knew a loan had be placed against the truck, I believed it was paid off, until October of 2017, when the loan agency came to retrieve the truck. 

Loan agency informed me that most of the payments were made late, sometimes up to four months without making a single payment, so they were left with no options but to come to retrieve the truck.

As a result this 500,000 bht loan placed in 2015 against the truck I believed was fully paid off, is now not due to expire until 2020, at the earliest, for a 2010 model truck.

The loan payments on the truck is higher than we initially paid, when we originally bought the truck, but what makes it even worse, is the misses never invested the 500k she received from this loan, 

back into the family in any way, so there were no signs she had come into a large sum of money.

At one point in 2017, she decided since I had never found out about the loan she took against the truck, she would try her luck again, and take the Honda Forza to the bank to take out a loan against that. This I paid for in cash, yet the book was in her name, due to me not having a work permit at the time of purchase, I later had planned to place the Motorcycle in my son name, since he's now 11 years old.

After she fell behind in both the Truck payments and the Motorcycle payments, she decided to convince my son to open my safe box; he was the only one who knew the combination, in the event something happened to me. She took out all the gold garments I had purchased for myself during our relationship; the ones I bought for her, she had sold already.

Went down to the local gold store and sold everything, this all happened before the loan agency came knocking for the retrieval of the truck. 

I just never had any reason to put it all together, yet the pieces were slowing falling into place...

When I ask her what she did with all the proceeds from any of the moves she made, 

the responses were always meet with silence...no response at all coming, other than she knows she made a mistake.

I had very little, yet she has managed to take it all.

This lady was a room maid when I met her, I was the manager of the hotel she worked at.

She was hired as a part time staff, after we started to see each other after working hours, 

I spoke to a friend of mine who worked at another hotel near by, to see about getting this new interest in my life a full time position, so we might be able to pursue a long term relationship.

After she secured the new position, she proceeded to move in with me back in 2005.

Because we have so much time invested into this relationship, plus two children, 

and our business, it's hard to break free. Even as I try to make any new business or job of my own, 

she tries to find a way to lean onto that as well. Asking me for money to help pay her debts, or coming to my place of work, if I secure a position in the public sector.

At the end of the day, I too have thought about taking my own life, 

as it seems like I have no solutions to the problems laid out before me.

So I can totally understand this mans situation, and relate to his decision, 

as I attempt to remain strong for our children, but at times it's very hard indeed.

Your sad tale reads  as a cautionary tale of what foreigners should not do. Yes, you may have been wronged, but did you know that there is a rule in law that states that  those who engage in wrongful acts cannot seek protection from the law when they are injured due to those wrongful acts? Foreigners should learn from you and not do what you did. The alleged  illegal acts of your domestic partner, which you have not responded to, are icing on the cake. This doesn't mean I don't understand the loss, the frustration, the anger and the pain, but it is difficult to feel sorry for people who try to play the system and  lose.

Are you even aware that legally and morally, you committed the first wrongful act?

It was wrong for you to take up with a subordinate. Large hospitality chains have specific regulations that forbid this sort of shenanigan between a boss and a junior employee.  It is no surprise that a relationship created  from a wrongful act would continue to  provide additional wrongful acts. You then attempted to play the rules in respect to the registration of vehicles and  ended up only cheating yourself because you thought you were smarter than the locals.  This is one of the reasons why they have the rules - to protect people from these things. Obviously you thought the rules didn't apply to you. Yours has been a story  of non compliance, including not having the appropriate visas, so it is no wonder that you encountered  problems. The take away isn't the  danger of taking up with a cleaning lady. Rather, it is once again the cost of not following the rules and of trying to circumvent them.  Foreigners only outsmart themselves. The Hisos can  play the loopholes because they have the  legal and tax experts to  guide them and they are connected. Few foreigners have those advantages. 

6 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

The golden mantra.....always be more worth alive then dead....

Never buy in somebody else's name.....leasehold seems a good alternative....have a will in both countries that clearly leaves the property to a family member of yours....and of course, avoid getting married, kids and if possible, pretend the house is rented even if it's on leasehold......any other good suggestions ?

Have everything you have enumerated, land + house in my wifes name (with a 30 year lease for me), 22 years of marriage and children. But only 30% of my money is tied up in it. If everything collapsed today, I could have fun in Nana every day until the end of my life.
I find the right budgeting with money much more important!

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

RIP.

Should be required reading for every man coming to Thailand.

I am sure he loved his daughter.

So sad for the daughter.. if the wife was indeed greedy .. the little girl will be lost.. so sad..

6 minutes ago, JOC said:

In this flood of posts condemning Thailand and Thai women......Let us not forget, that most of us live in relationships with hardworking, decent and honest Thai women.....Plenty of them out there.....:coffee1:

Hard luck stories like this could just as well happen in the US or Europe....

I beg to disagree,

It is an  industry here-ever since the US hit these shores..

They probably had "cargo" cultism before that but sure as hell they had it afterwards...

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

I beg to disagree,

It is an  industry here-ever since the US hit these shores..

They probably had "cargo" cultism before that but sure as hell they had it afterwards...

Depends on individuals. Some people have poor judgement and think with the wrong head.

5 hours ago, Miss Pickle said:

This is yet another very sad story. I had a friend come over here when he got early retirement with all his money met a girl bought a house in her name then a few months down the line the guy he thought was her brother turns out to be her husband.Needless to stay her went home penniless and had to get emergency housing. At 40 years old he could have gone home and had a life ver very sad. One thing confuses me how are his hands cuffed. ??

That is a pretty stupid thing to do. 

3 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

I am building a house at present,it is large and will probably come in at around 5/6 million baht. My Wife[my second Thai wife} does not have a big family unlike my ex,and they have never asked me for anything. I trust my Wife,but only up to a certain extent,i have told her if she ever tries to #&** me over i will demolished the house and another we own. I have plenty of money overseas,so whilst dissapointing it would not really affect me financially,i certainley would not kill myself,as another poster said never spend more than you can walk away from.

I am not married but have a Thai girlfriend and daughter. We're building a house for a lot less money, about 1.5 million baht. Personally I'd be ok to walk away from this property and leave it to my GF and daughter if we ever had any problems. But I am also happy to not spend more. And my GF is kinda sometimes hinting me to marry her, but I will avoid it. I feel if we'd be married, she or our daughter might be entitled to my oversees properties and that could cause problems for me eventually.

Better safe than sorry. 

4 minutes ago, Bkkthebest said:

That is a pretty stupid thing to do. 

No it's not it's very common. Very easy to cuff yourself behind yer back and it will prevent a natural reaction to save yourself. As if killing yourself isn't the stupidest thing to do.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Its not that hard to cuff yourself after you put the noose on your neck.. its just a precaution that survival instincts don't kick in. Now if his hands were tied id be suspicious as tying your hands is hard to do yourself.. cuffing yourself not that hard.

Still someone could have helped.. but does not sound like the wife.. i mean everything is burned down she stands to lose a lot. I am not sure insurance will payout because they are married and he torched the place.. your insured against acts of a stranger but usually not by acts of your own family if deliberate. 

Yes I'm wondering about all this. On the one hand it does sound like suicide...on the other...Certainly the writing is very clear and distinct so inclined to think it was written by a native English speaker but being clear and distinct is what bothers me. Would someone just about to commit suicide be able to do that on a wall without some shaking? I wondered if he stayed around long enough to make sure he did a good job of burning the place down? His tongue was hanging out and that made me wonder too.

If this was a suicide then it's a tragedy and my heart goes out to his relatives and friends...I wonder if they recoginised any early signs that this might happen?

4 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

I am not married but have a Thai girlfriend and daughter. We're building a house for a lot less money, about 1.5 million baht. Personally I'd be ok to walk away from this property and leave it to my GF and daughter if we ever had any problems. But I am also happy to not spend more. And my GF is kinda sometimes hinting me to marry her, but I will avoid it. I feel if we'd be married, she or our daughter might be entitled to my oversees properties and that could cause problems for me eventually.

Better safe than sorry. 

I am extremely confused by this post. If she is your real daughter then she's entitled no matter what. If she is not it doesn't really matter if you are married or not.

And why wouldn't you leave your overseas property to your (real?) daughter? Who you gonna leave it to? The government?

5 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I am extremely confused by this post. If she is your real daughter then she's entitled no matter what. If she is not it doesn't really matter if you are married or not.

And why wouldn't you leave your overseas property to your (real?) daughter? Who you gonna leave it to? The government?

Eventually I would like to give it to my daughter of course. Or actually sell it and give her the money directly. But for now I prefer to keep it kind of out of the picture. In my home country they don't know yet about the existence of my daughter (not officially registered), so my close family (brothers and sisters) would be entitled.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Yesterday, I was eating at a shop in Chiang Mai city.  The Thai restaurant owner told the couple (young Thai lady with bald elderly farang), that most Thai girls marry foreigners for love. So I interrupted and said 'that's not true', most Thai girls marry foreigners for money especially if the foreigner is elderly.

I've seen many cases like this reported in press and Youtube.

You sound like a very angry man whether there is truth or not in what you said.

8 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

No it's not it's very common. Very easy to cuff yourself behind yer back and it will prevent a natural reaction to save yourself. As if killing yourself isn't the stupidest thing to do.

I  think it is quite common-just not reported.

This incident has  been reported because the gentleman in question made it so-in English.

Rest in Peace troubled soul...

40 minutes ago, stravers said:

In my opinion, western men lose the plot in Asia because they haven't had this much young female attention ever. Sadly not as easy to meet a young female in the west around age 40, in my opinion. Nothing will change in the west which makes Asia all too attractive. 

it's not really about western men losing the plot in asia and although this guy seemingly had relationship issues i think it is more of a worldwide problem. as i posted before there is a campaign in the UK to urge those having difficulties to seek help, even if it's to talk to the samaritans(as they posted on the article)to try to resolve your issues. this isn't really about a farang getting ripped off. this is about a guy who needed help before deciding to do what he unfortunately decided to do.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/itv-male-suicide-awareness-sculptures-building-roof-mental-health-project-84-calm-a8274326.html

Sad story :-(

Why is it that so many farangs here, just give away all they own, when they are in Thailand?

Why do they e.g. just pay up a house fully in cash, when they instead could pay a small down payment and then let the wife struggle with the monthly payments, if things should turn out bad? 

Why do farangs not make sure they have an account abroad, as a constant backup? 

It is unbelievable how many farangs just go “all in” here and seem to lose their common sense on arrival.

1 hour ago, mike1967 said:

Don't buy anything in Thailand. Be prepared to leave at the drop of a hat. Spend what you can afford each month. If you're giving money then make the rules from day one. As to what she may do with the money is up to her but make it clear that's it. Nothing wrong with sharing but only share what you can afford to lose. I retired at 41 and stick to the basic rules above. Obviously this isn't for everyone and everyone will have an opinion and advice to give.

Why the hell do you even think of giving money in the first place? No wonder there are so many problems of farang-thai girl relationship.

If you need to give money to that girl, pls stay the hell away from her. Why involved yourself with a thai girl who has no money or unable to earn a decent income by herself?

So sad and at only 40 too , some dirty parasites of familys about this country with no heart or anything , hope their cursed for ever for driving this poor guy to this end .

Give them nothing !!

I dont give the issan crew 1 baht an never will , go earn their own money same i had to. Believe me that day you need help not one of them has anything to help back.

35 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

I mean it is a pretty stupid thing to buy a house using your money but put it under the thai girl's aka wife's name.

Archived