A bitter pill to swallow .

even with all escape facilities available, ie, nice house available in the west, good pension income etc...one has to ask oneself if what one plans to return to is what one left many years ago...

I think not, realistically speaking...looks we're buggered all the way around...and I ain't just talkin' about the price of in - n - out burgers...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Gruff said:

They may not be able to afford to go back to their own country but there are other nearby choices eg the Philippines which is cheaper than Thailand now.

I would have thought it is not just a money issue but attachment to Thai ladies that prevents the realistic return home.

Yes, after 8 years non-stop living in LOS, it sometimes sucks.

Been living in the Philippines but see little to nothing that I would prefer there over Thailand.

Malaysia, Lao, Cambodia, Indonesia would be no alternative for me either.

I'm looking towards Europe; Spain maybe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

I have had conversations with expats who are not happy here.

All they do is sit at home, or weekly visits to Big C and a meal in the food court.

Why don't you travel ? Too Far. Roads too dangerous.

Do you have any hobbies ? No. (take another drink)

Get out in the garden. Too hot.

If they were at home in - ________ - they would say the same things, do the same things.

You don't like your life - change it.

I would not move back for anything. But I did my homework first before moving here.

As I get older, I am not getting much smarter, the only conclusion I can come to is that the world is getting dumber.

As I get older, I am not getting much smarter, the only conclusion I can come to is that the world is getting dumber.

Wise words, indeed.

• Like 2

Best advice, never burn your bridges or buy property here if from Europe 6 months here to escape the awful weather, 6 months home to the beautiful spring and summer. Whilst here look out for the burnt their bridges fly Falangs. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Your conclusion is correct. There is a very good book on the subject by Elmer Pendell titled "Why Civilizations Self-Destruct". 

• Like 1

I'm thinking along the same lines as Farang99. I had planned to move here 6 years ago but for some absolutely stupid reason I let my little head rule my big head and shacked up with another Western leech who just recently had me in the family court. Everything was planned for the move then i made that mistake. I have the best of both worlds right now working offshore and spending my time off in Pattaya. I have rented a nice place in Naklua and just when i'm starting to get a tired of it, it's time to go to work and dry the liver out. After 3 weeks at work I can't wait to get back. I have a great girl in Pattaya who looks after me and never asks for much and my mates that live in Thailand love it just as much as I do. Still have my property in Perth which I will maybe think about selling in 5 years when my work finishes out here. To be honest, I can't see myself ever living back in Oz full time but will go back periodically to see my kids and grandkids.

Wish I had of moved to Thailand years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

you couldn't pay me to live in the nanny state of oz.....

Dont worry they wont pay you, the pension laws seem to change daily, lol

• Haha 1