A bitter pill to swallow .

Whilst living back home , people may view Thailand as having Christmas everyday , an abundance of food, drink and woman and hot weather as well .

The wish of "Christmas everyday" became a reality .

An even bigger reality is that people get bored of Christmas after a week and cannot wait to get back to the real reality

• Like 1

I'm perfectly happy here - one or two minor irritations but that's true of every country. I fell in love with Thailand 40 years ago and been living here in Chiang Mai for three years with no regrets. Even fewer regrets since a bad fall at Christmas when I was moved by the kindness of strangers - Thai and farang - who helped me, as well as the surgeons and staff of the hospital too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LennyW said:

Philippines LOL!!! The Zimbabwe of Asia...no thanks!!

Years ago, I started reading forums (fora?) from Thailand and from CEBU - Philipines.

The CEBU forum was full of moaning, complaining expats, and there seemed much less in TVF, so I accepted an English teaching job in Chiang Mai.

I won't start on that particular scam, but by and large, my time in Chiang Mai has been pleasant enough, the folk in the condo are friendly, a nice pool,  store at ground level, fresh fruit and veg across the road, malls and cinemas 10minutes in either direction.

It's not too bad, apart from the very late sunrises (10:00 this morning).  Only a few more weeks for the rain to fix that!   :smile:

2 hours ago, maximillian said:

Yes, after 8 years non-stop living in LOS, it sometimes sucks.

Been living in the Philippines but see little to nothing that I would prefer there over Thailand.

Malaysia, Lao, Cambodia, Indonesia would be no alternative for me either.

I'm looking towards Europe; Spain maybe.

I spent as much time in Europe (primarily Bulgaria and Cyprus) as i did in SE Asia last year. Cyprus is more expensive for sure than Thailand but food for example is superior quality and you can buy a pint of beer for Euro 2. In  Bulgaria accomodation is almost as cheap as Thailand and everything else significantlly cheaper. If someone has freedom there are options.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, uffe123 said:

It used to be a nice place to retire, but now you cant breathe the air, vegetables, fruit and rice will kill you being heavily sprayed with paraquat. Beaches are full of garbage, and the water is full of sewage. Traffic is horrible, price of food is now comparable with my home country, if not exceed the the prices. Got screwed out of a million+ in such a good land deal, that went bad due to military take over. Immigration fees have triple since I came here.

But now that the pollution, and pesticide poisoning  is so bad, 

I would agree with most of that, but no one seems to mention the social issues, such as integration.

As a "farang", you always stand like a sore thumb (except in Pattaya, which is not really Thailand) and will be treated as such no matter how long you stay.

Imagine the outcry if all black people in Western countries were called "african" and fingered as such by children and local hillbillies!

This to say that, given the massive cultural gap, it is very difficult for a farang to be integrated here, which is why farangs in Thailand, for the most part, live among farangs.

I don't think that many farangs could share, in a forum such as this one, the latest interesting conversation they had at dinner with their Thai wife's family, or with a group of Thai friends.

For this reasons, a number of foreigners prefer to retire in Central or South America, where it's easier to mingle with the local population.

Edited by Brunolem
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Life is what you make it. It's that simple.

If you are not content here, the odds are you won't be content anywhere.

You don't 'find' happiness... you create it for yourself.

First become comfortable inside, then surprisingly, all the outside stuff becomes comfortable too.

That may sound too Zen for your liking, so put it into words that you will be comfortable with. The words aren't important. The actions are.

And that is equally an argument for somebody to move on elsewhere if budget is their main issue with Thailand. If they take your approach they will be just as happy in Cambodia or Phils.

Well, this was our schadenfreude thread of the week complete with a fantasy scenario. There's no evidence that more are leaving than ever before, percentage-wise, or that the more exceeds the number arriving. Been hearing the everybody's heading for the exits shit-stirring for years.

Many an expat leaves simply because he needs the "free" healthcare back in the nanny state or the free education for the kids. Nothing new there. I know some who never intended to stay but just find a girl and bring her back home--and they did.

And the strength of the baht has had some impact, no question. However, the exchange rate issue could have been managed had the expat invested wisely in, and managed, Thai assets earlier, such as shares of good companies on the SET, instead of listening to--or even enjoying making--doom predictions about the Thai economy.

I might point out that more people are reaching retirement age and so more have looked at Thailand as a retirement haven. Of the more, more, in absolute numbers, would be leaving. Another issue is that then a higher number arriving are suffering from mental disorders

Over 20% of adults aged 60 and over suffer from a mental or neurological disorder (excluding headache disorders) and 6.6% of all disability (disability adjusted life years-DALYs) among people over 60 years is attributed to mental and neurological disorders.

--http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs381/en/

and can't adjust themselves to a different culture and environment. And this fact is obvious from the curmudgeon infestation on the forum, whose whinging and finger pointing depress those already on the edge.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Farang99 said:

I only regret not making the move to Thailand sooner.

ya i am the same, now 71, but i can see the finish line looming, just back from aus and if i had to live there i would have finished years ago, thailand is a great place to retire, i could not see myself in an old peoples home surrounded by poker machine playing old women,i too wish i had made the move years earlier

• Like 1

US citizen I’ve lived in Northeast Thailand full time 2 years and in the big picture I have no regrets. I’ve spent a lot of time in APAC over the last 20 years but very few 2-3 day visits to Thailand on business.  Before Thailand 10 years I lived full time in China so was indoctrinated to culture shock. 

The only regrets were mistakes on my part and as that hat goes I own it and go on with life. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 8:59 AM, Once Bitten said:

Any one else seeing this possible trend ?

I believe it depend of from where the retired expat originates; some countries are not that bad to move back to, and one's governmental retirement pension may increase when returning, in my country it could easily double before taxation. Furthermore some currencies has dropped more than others, i.e. GBP compared to Euro and Euro-linked currencies.

Excluding the sad horror-cases, where someone has been used as ATM or worse; do I sense it's mainly British expats having that kind problems..?

I don't regret – so far, I have stayed here permanently for 12 years now – however I shall admit that I can afford a better life-style in LoS than at home, as my average buying power, including taxation benefits, is something like factor 2 or 3 compared to staying home. And I also admit that I'm a "financial migrant", however I could (easily) survive at home...:smile:

• Like 1

The only comment I have regarding Thailand was that it was so much better 50 years ago when I first arrived.  But then everywhere else ws so much better also.  The World has changed and so have I but some of the things I dislike about the West and America where I grew up are starting to 'infect' Thailand.  Indeed, there are other countries that maybe as 'nice ' as Thailand but they are also becoming copies of the West.

Thailand is seeing it's culture and environment being destroyed by massive tourism; globalization and trying to make its country mimic the West.  However, there are certain sections of Thailand that are still pristine and the majority of Thai people are still welcoming and do smile.  I never regretted coming to Thailand and I will always stay here no matter the exchange rate or any other irritation.

• Like 2

Just for reference if Paraquat was sprayed on rice or vegetables, they would die without question, paraquat or spray seed as it's called in Australia will kill anything green, trees don't suck it up and spraying it on the trunk of a tree won't kill it, as it affects  the photosynthesis process (drawn in through the leaves),  it is extremely dangerous to the person spraying it and gets drawn in through the skin if unprotective clothing is not used.

Unlike round up  that has glyphosate in it, glyphosate gets sucked up by everything and was inventeded by a large seed and chemical company called Monsanto, who has absolutely in my view stuffed the western worlds food production and trying to get there hands on south east Asia by tricking uneducated farmers into buying there seeds and sparing them with round up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

Seems to me it's those posters who have already left that appear the most bitter.

Threads full of them, telling us that stay, how bad Thailand is and how great their lives are back home, if it's that great why do they waste their time posting on a forum all about Thailand ?

I guess because they want to tell you how great their life is back Home.   :biggrin:

4 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I am usually happy here, with two footnotes:

1) I didn't marry a Thai woman (no offense to those who did and are happy, I just think it wouldn't work for me)

2) I spend about 50+ days/year elsewhere.

Sensible Man, well done.  :clap2:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, uffe123 said:

It used to be a nice place to retire, but now you cant breathe the air, vegetables, fruit and rice will kill you being heavily sprayed with paraquat. Beaches are full of garbage, and the water is full of sewage. Traffic is horrible, price of food is now comparable with my home country, if not exceed the the prices. Got screwed out of a million+ in such a good land deal, that went bad due to military take over. Immigration fees have triple since I came here.

If it was not for me having a Thai wife who doesn't want to leave, and a house in bk, i would have left long time ago.

But now that the pollution, and pesticide poisoning  is so bad,  and Thai government is not telling the truth on the severity of the problems, i have decided to finally leave, so I can have a few more years of life to enjoy. 

After all if you don't have good health how can you enjoy life in a hospital bed or wheel chair.

Will leave in may and come back for visits.

Just out of interest you said that if it was not for you having a Thai wife who doesn't want to leave Thailand you would have left a long time ago. Does that mean that your Thai wife is going with you or are you leaving her behind?