TM30 within 24 hours arrival BKK airport? Onward domestic travel?

With a UK pp Non Imm O ext I traveled from Bangkok to an upcountry Immigration Office (near wife's home and where I got the Non Imm O Ext) to report my new place of stay inside 24 hours using TM30 after driving there in my car from the residence I own in Bangkok that I stayed at for 2 weeks prior.

When originally I arrived in Bangkok from overseas two weeks prior, I did not make any report to immigration other than the TM6 arrival card at BKK airport with my residence address on it. I did not go the CW. Did not know I was supposed to go there. What docs should I have presented at CW??

When I reported with the TM30 at upcountry IO they threatened me with a fine (not exceeding 5000THB) for not making any report in Bangkok since my landing in BKK airport ("as BKK airport and CW immigration is not same" they said)and also for not being able to produce a domestic air/bus ticket as an alternative to prove when I traveled upcountry from Bangkok since I drove there myself in my wife's car.

The upcountry IO said I should have presented documents at Bangkok immigration (mentioned the TM30 whereas I always thought TV forum said a TM28 is used in Bangkok?) and house owner documents within 24 hours of landing. I am the owner of residence in Bangkok so I suppose a Yellow Book or home ownership (Chanote) paper is all I have to offer?? What should I present in this situation on arrival in BKK at CW?

** The upcountry IO also said this Bangkok residence report could be done online - or maybe she meant there is just info about it online - I am not sure?? Can anyone point to online place to do this report for CW? The upcountry IO wasn't happy as even tho the house owner upcountry listed my arrival date on TM30 the IO had no records of where I was since I landed at BKK airport two weeks prior. The IO said she would waive fine this time but next time not as she has attempted to point out the error of my ways??

Appreciate any feedback guys.

I don't think Bangkok immigration would of accepted your TM30 report. Chaeng Wattana immigration does not ask for or want TM30 reports from individuals.

You cannot do a online report unless you are registered to do it and they only do it for businesses.

The report is due within 24 hours of arriving at the residence being reported not arrival in the country.

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The report is due within 24 hours of arriving at the residence being reported not arrival in the country.

But the IO would not allow me to report a TM30 upcountry as they had no proof / information on my location on days prior when I was staying in my Bangkok residence.

What should I have done in Bangkok to put this right? 

18 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

But the IO would not allow me to report a TM30 upcountry as they had no proof / information on my location on days prior when I was staying in my Bangkok residence.

What should I have done in Bangkok to put this right? 

I think the immigration officer was way over the top when asking for a report for while you were in Bangkok. He should of only been concerned with the report for being at your permanent residence.

If you had stayed in a hotel you would of had no proof of a report being done.

You could try to do the report in Bangkok the next time or check into a hotel for one night but it would have to be one that is doing the reports online.

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could try to do the report in Bangkok the next time

OK so next time I should try a TM28 within 24 hours arrival at Bangkok (which is a pain in the arse to get to for me - but cheaper than staying in a hotel when I already own my own condo in Bangkok!). I will then be registered in the system so that this Imm Officer upcountry has my details and will proceed with TM30 without need to fine me 5000THB upfront.

As I stand now the upcountry IO made me leave without signing off on the TM30  so techincally I'm illegal as if stopped by a police officer there is no TM30 receipt in my pp stating where I now at the moment - which is the wifes inlaws place.

Edited by WorriedNoodle

19 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

OK so next time I should try a TM28 within 24 hours arrival at Bangkok (which is a pain in the arse to get to for me - but cheaper than staying in a hotel when I already own my own condo in Bangkok!). I will then be registered in the system so that this Imm Officer upcountry has my details and will proceed with TM30 without need to fine me 5000THB upfront.

You would do a TM30 form to report your presence not a TM28 form. The max fine for a TM30 report being done is 2000 baht for individuals. Businesses can be fined 2,000 to 10,000 baht for not doing the report.

19 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

As I stand now the upcountry IO made me leave without signing off on the TM30  so techincally I'm illegal as if stopped by a police officer there is no TM30 receipt in my pp stating where I now at the moment - which is the wifes inlaws place.

The police would not be interested in their being a receipt for a TM30 report in your passport. I would guess the greatest majority of police officers would not even know about a TM30 or TM28 form since they are immigration forms.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would do a TM30 form to report your presence not a TM28 form. The max fine for a TM30 report being done is 2000 baht for individuals. Businesses can be fined 2,000 to 10,000 baht for not doing the report.

I was given the law by the upcountry IO on a current pamphlet which he seems to hand out a lot. It says under Ch9 Penalty Section 76: Any alien who fails to comply with provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4) or (5) (these are requirements for alien to report stay location inside 24 hours) shall be punished with fine not exceeding 5000THB. This was underlined by the IO to me. (Another section 77 mentions the 2000THB fine the home owners must pay if they don't submit the reports on a TM30 on time with hotel owners fined up to 10000THB.)

** So you say I should do a TM30 at Bangkok but on post#2 you say you don't think TM30 will be accepted? Now you have confused me. The TM30 is for home owners to report aliens staying and I am the home owner in Bangkok and the alien staying there?  Sorry to labor the point but as I will likely use this upcountry IO again as I travel between my Bangkok residence and upcountry to the wife's family what exact should I take with me to CW before I leave Bangkok in future? 

4 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

So you say I should do a TM30 at Bangkok but on post#2 you say you don't think TM30 will be accepted? Now you have confused me. The TM30 is for home owners to report aliens staying and I am the home owner in Bangkok and the alien staying there?  Sorry to labor the point but as I will likely use this upcountry IO again as I travel between my Bangkok residence and upcountry to the wife's family what exact should I take with me to CW before I leave Bangkok in future? 

The TM30 form reporting is under clauses 38 and 77. That is what the officer was asking you for.

I wrote you could try to do the TM30 form in Bangkok. They may accept it if you explain to them why you want to do it. You would  need proof of ownership for your condo to if asked. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I wrote you could try to do the TM30 form in Bangkok. They may accept it if you explain to them why you want to do it. You would  need proof of ownership for your condo to if asked. 

Ok thanks UbonJoe.

I will next time try and do a TM30 in Bangkok with my own home ownership papers and explain this is needed for this upcountry IO.

I wonder if others have experienced this, first time ever for me.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think Bangkok immigration would of accepted your TM30 report. Chaeng Wattana immigration does not ask for or want TM30 reports from individuals.

You cannot do a online report unless you are registered to do it and they only do it for businesses.

This won't help the OP as he is outside of Phuket, but for those living in Phuket, it is now possible for everyone living in Phuket to do an online report (not just businesses).  Maybe this process will be implemented outside of Phuket, too, but for now, it works in Phuket:

• Like 1

In went to IO in Pattaya to register myself, i inquired about TM30, she basically said that as long as I registered with her, as staying in my own condo, unless I left the country, I would not need to do it again, even if I travelled around ( obviously if I stayed in a hotel whilst travelling, they would automatically register me . ) I think each IO interprets the rules differently. 

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Joe, what about holidays and weekends when immigration is closed? Is this really 24 hour/working days? Fort businesses it is different as they can report online anytime but the rest of us can only submit a TM30 when immigration is open.

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Joe, what about holidays and weekends when immigration is closed? Is this really 24 hour/working days? Fort businesses it is different as they can report online anytime but the rest of us can only submit a TM30 when immigration is open.

If you arrive at the residence and immigration is closed during the 24 hours to do the report you need to do it on the first day immigration is open.

Some offices allow you to do the report within 2 or 3 days after arriving. I think they understand that 24 hours is not really enough time.

Perhaps you should ask the inlaw/homeowner to file a tm30 that you are staying with them ( if that is the case.

bluebook owner should file tm30 no matter where you stayed previously.

as yet the arrival form address info is not registered anywhere and only looked at if there is an investigation. Many folks write fluff there due to the limited space provided.

Edited by grobec

It sounds to me like the immigration officer up-country was trying it on. Fining falangs is a blood sport for some.

It's common knowledge TM30's are not required in Bangkok - the city would disappear in a blizzard of paper if they did.

Wow! Sounds like someone is trying for a handout! How far is your upcountry place from the IO. We are 70 km away and so we take my TM30 to the local police station to register. Much less hassle. Is there any chance you could do it this way??

Just now, JTS said:

On the day after my return from abroad in April 2017 an Immigration Officer at Chaeng Wattana processed my TM28 and the house owner’s TM30 without any particular comment.

Ok, so thanks for that. One positive response that TM30's are accepted at CW. FYI UbonJoe ;-) 

This is what the IO upcountry was saying I must do in future before I go back to their office for any reason or its a 5000THB fine for me.

* Now I have TWO questions about CW:

1. What support docs with my TM30 as I am home owner. Will a yellow book be enough - it doesn't seem to say I am a house master in it for some reason? Do I need Chanote also? 

2. CW is a full half day or more trip for me as its other side of Bangkok. Can it be done at local police station instead? Will police give a receipt as proof its done. The IO upcountry just needs the proof somehow?.

Worried Noodle, after reading post 10 in this thread about TM30 online registration/reporting in Phuket I did a quick search and found that, according to links in the two web sites below, the same online option for TM30 reporting is available where I live in Chonburi.

Have you done a search to see if it's available in the upcountry location you visit? 

https://fabulous103.com/immigration-questions-answered/   and   http://fabulous103.com/immigration-thailand-visitors-home/

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Ok, so thanks for that. One positive response that TM30's are accepted at CW. FYI UbonJoe ;-) 

This is what the IO upcountry was saying I must do in future before I go back to their office for any reason or its a 5000THB fine for me.

* Now I have TWO questions about CW:

1. What support docs with my TM30 as I am home owner. Will a yellow book be enough - it doesn't seem to say I am a house master in it for some reason? Do I need Chanote also? 

2. CW is a full half day or more trip for me as its other side of Bangkok. Can it be done at local police station instead? Will police give a receipt as proof its done. The IO upcountry just needs the proof somehow?.

I have done a TM30 in November 2017 at Chaeng Wattana.

I had to fill out the TM30 and I think I gave them a copy of my passport page. that was all.

There was not Yellow book or anything else questioned. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Worried Noodle, after reading post 10 in this thread about TM30 online registration/reporting in Phuket I did a quick search and found that, according to links in the two web sites below, the same online option for TM30 reporting is available where I live in Chonburi.

I think you will find that info is no longer valid since it was done almost a year ago. Doing it my email was done due to the the site for the online reporting being down. 

I think you would find that registering to do it online would not be very easy.

The only provincial immigration offices that have set up online TM30 reporting that can be used by everybody is Surat Thani (Samui) and Phuket.

• Like 1

If you are just staying at your MIL's house I don't know why you bothered going to immigration at all. Just use your address in Bangkok and do the reports online.

Or are you going to report your address every time you leave the house ?

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

Have you done a search to see if it's available in the upcountry location you visit? 

Yes TM30 not available online for my areas afaik. It would be helpful if it was available for Bangkok online for me as it takes best part of day to go there/back in traffic and wait in queues. So no chance reporting TM30 to police instead in Bangkok to save time?

51 minutes ago, berybert said:

Or are you going to report your address every time you leave the house ?

The IO said to me law says should report TM30 every time I move to a new location and keep the TM30 stub in my pp from day I land in country. Otherwise they won't service me. Last year I needed to do a 90 day report and online 90 day reoport in Bangkok didn't work, so sometimes I need to go to IO outside Bangkok. 

16 minutes ago, grobec said:

Did I miss which “up country” I/O location this is?

I have specifically omitted saying which office as I need to go there again in future besides going to CW  in Bangkok - just trying to get things correct on my side first and follow the law that they want to now enforce. As Ubon Joe said above "I think the immigration officer was way over the top when asking for a report for while you were in Bangkok. He should of only been concerned with the report for being at your permanent residence." which I tend to agree with, but I want to be clear with the upcountry I/O first before naming anyone.

Edited by WorriedNoodle

Agreed.
I don’t think it is even your responsibility to report upcountry. It is the homeowner’s tm30 that is required. Same as any hotel would do for you.
This whole subject has been a moving target based on region and even the IO officers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

12 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

The IO said to me law says should report TM30 every time I move to a new location and keep the TM30 stub in my pp from day I land in country. Otherwise they won't service me. Last year I needed to do a 90 day report and online 90 day reoport in Bangkok didn't work, so sometimes I need to go to IO outside Bangkok. 

The more you try to do things right, the more chance there is to do them wrong. 

You get plenty of time to do the 90 days reports, do you really spend weeks at a time up country.

And as someone else has mentioned it isn't your responsibility to report staying at a relatives house, it is up to them. You are supposed to report when you get home, which is Bangkok. Bangkok doesn't want you to report to them when you get home.

So you seem to be in a pickle that is entirely self made.