Chevy Colorado

kannot

I had a Colorado 2012, never a problem, sold it when I went back to work in the US and only spend a few months in Thailand  ( we thought we would rent) big mistake, wife was spending more time visiting  and renting a car, we finally bought a Mitsubishi mirage just to have something when we visit there.

I really like the looks of the Colorado and I think it is a very good pickup, They are everywhere in the US with good reports, and I think the Thai version is better mechanically because of the Diezel, but not as good on the safety equipment

Will be retiring full time this spring or summer  (need to finish the project I am working on) and looking for a more substantial car than the Michu. I don't really need a pickup truck and really like the Trailblazer ( thai chevy has a good deal on the 4x4LTZ 1,289,000)  . Wife says she dont like Chevy, maybe she will change her toon if she sits in one of them, (said the same about michu, now Loves it)

What about Chevy service in  Khon Kaen? only looking at their website now as I am in the US, will look more this spring when I am there.

image.png.aa1d2037a46af91a03117f9cab965a48.png

image.png.570b70abcfe81101df4e59b7f722e590.png

Just screwing dealers down now on price for a Colorado Storm 4x4 list price 1098000 discount 91k, free bed liner genuine , wheel arch flares genuine, chevrolet black badges front rear, chevrolet mats genuine, and  genuine Chevvy cupholders 1007000, dont want window tinting. My own insurance choice 18,500k, not included registration 6500baht

Chevvy dealer very accommodating will even swap the black alloy  wheels for the ones off of a high country ( not storm model )  which are silver black and I prefer if required. 

Ill probably add another usb port in one of the 12v  power outlets, easy enough to do.

Only thing I would have liked was Fords adaptive cruise control but their  rubbish paintwork put me off and not sure I want the complexity of 2  turbos.

Yeah I know service centres are  far apart but more are being opened and many dealers are now re furbing their premises as witnessed by 3  dealers i went to  who had no cars due to refurbs in Bangkok.

I wont keep any pick up much over 3-4  years and I dont see horrendous price drops in this model at about 760 k when 2-3 years old.

Ill report back if the dealer screws me over or chevvy service is naff...........if i go for it.

Ford wont discount anymore than 20k with free insurance   Ford 1.265  million bi turbo wildtrak , crap choice of colours  -20k discount and free insurance approx 20k Id  guess 1.225  million, too much imo, crap really bad orange peel paint

Preferred ride handling of the Colorado also bi turbo didnt seem to have as much go about it even though its supposed to be 500nm and 213ps, it also weighs about 100kilos more than the Colorado.

Beauty in the eye of  the beholder obviously, am not a fan of keyless ignition after using Wifes Juke so wont miss  that.

And  finally  just for Transam..............Ill be keeping my Hilux Smartcab for heavy work which I still have to do.............and as "back up" hahahaha 179k kilometres....its still dull as  watching paint dry mind.

Sales-Report-2017-March.jpg

image-4.jpg

56 minutes ago, mogandave said:

And it only took six months to make up your mind...

You getting the red? Saw one today and the red looked nice with the black wheels.

Hey........................after I showed them  my prices and them passing out they really wanted  me to give them a deposit, I declined, am checking a  Bangkok dealer Monday to see if anymore discount available, although to be  honest Im quite happy with their offer especially the wheels  swap from another new High Country in the showroom, that was a  big thing I wanted to do, would have bought the LTZ Z71 as could get 122k discount but  by the time Id  added what i wanted in accessories the price went up a lot and no 4x4  option.

Yes its the red one, but dont want the all black wheels so some lucky person will get a noraml high country with all black wheels, got sick of the colour choices  offered by Ford was told red then "no hab" I mean Christ do they know what they are  selling.

Couldnt birng myself to try the Triton its just too freakin ugly although its a sound  enough pick up. debated need for 4x4, probably never use but who knows even so still 100kg lighter than the Ford.

Time, was never in a  hurry, ill go thru every detail no matter how tedious.......then ignore whats sensible.

Went back into Ford today but sheesh they are like vultures, i walked round and round the car  about 3  times with them right behind me, eventually 4  of  them following me, at which point I walked/sprinted  out. 

Think the Colorado is a pretty sound truck mechanically havent seen any disaster stories and an ecu upgrade can unleash a lot more if required, raptor power...........warranty on engine void for sure but autobox can handle it ok 500nm+ and 210hp currently 440nm and 180bhp, its this actual one with the wheels  swapped

20181109_124043.jpg

Edited by kannot
  • Like 2

In other words they can't sell them..

If the couldn’t sell them, they would be out of business in a couple months.

It’s perceived value. People pay 20-30% more for a Toyota because it’s popular.

As far as reliability, the worst car I’ve ever had was a Toyota, and the best was a Ford.

Comfort, best was Buick, worst was Chevy

Style, best was Ford, worst was Toyota

Resale, best was Toyota, worst was Oldsmobile

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

As far as reliability, the worst car I’ve ever had was a Toyota, and the best was a Ford.

So it was you that bought the ex Toyota taxi...????

So it was you that bought the ex Toyota taxi...[emoji23]

No, actually it was an ‘85 mini-van I bought in the US. Only had about 40,000 miles and it was a POC.

I’ve had Toyotas that were great, the ‘87 FX16 for example.

The Tiger I had when I got here was fine, and I like the wife’s ‘tuna I’m driving now. I just don’t think they’re the value they used to be.

4 hours ago, transam said:

Wonder why Chevy are bending over backwards....????

Their Malaysian agent  has quit ( try  looking for the Malysian site , its gone) they are  looking for a new agent there, but in Thailand although sales are small compared to the others they are increasing slightly,  it  looks  like many of the showrooms are also being gutted and re  done + they are adding another 20 or so service centres.

And as pointed out they are trying to sell cars, in fact almost all their sales now are the Colorado, Captiva sold 1 I think in the last few months, but then it has a  reputation as the "Craptiva"

Im going in tomorrow  to place the order after waving the  1  milion in cash under their nose and before signing ask for + Chevrolet mats front and rear 2000 baht list price.

4 hours ago, transam said:

Well yes of course but the level of bending in this case seems extreme to me and raises a question mark as to why..

Theyll include free lubricant if u ask em nicely ????, it sure wasnt as painful for me as it was for them????

Will be most likely updated next year ( minor) about sept october time but no one seems to really have much info at all on that.

7 hours ago, mogandave said:

It is certainly perceived value.

Isuzu Pick Up trucks are very popular in Thailand yet one has a hard time finding one in the US. Is it because Isuzu is better in Thailand and and not so good in the US? or simple the brand has not gained traction in that market.

Same for the Colorado, selling like hot cakes in the US but not so much in Thailand , I submit the same dynamics as above.

Colorado is a good product, and the low price is IMO a "loss leader" type of marketing strategy that (if the wife lets me) I am willing to take advantage of. 

I an wavering between the Trailblazer SUV and the Colorado pickup truck, The wife likes  the SUV,I like  pick up truck, but in the final analysis I like my wife more. We will see

Used to have a Colorado, never had a problem or much use of dealer other than scheduled maintenance that conveniently happened when I was not in Thailand , so not much interaction with dealership and me.

Kannot, go with the Colorado, you will not regret it. By the way, the red rig you chose looks great. Enjoy!!  

Only picture I could find on the computer I have with me.

image.png.62b3da181964aead409b55c531b7b957.png

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

Isuzu Pick Up trucks are very popular in Thailand yet one has a hard time finding one in the US. Is it because Isuzu is better in Thailand and and not so good in the US? or simple the brand has not gained traction in that market.

Same for the Colorado, selling like hot cakes in the US but not so much in Thailand , I submit the same dynamics as above.

Colorado is a good product, and the low price is IMO a "loss leader" type of marketing strategy that (if the wife lets me) I am willing to take advantage of. 

I an wavering between the Trailblazer SUV and the Colorado pickup truck, The wife likes  the SUV,I like  pick up truck, but in the final analysis I like my wife more. We will see

Used to have a Colorado, never had a problem or much use of dealer other than scheduled maintenance that conveniently happened when I was not in Thailand , so not much interaction with dealership and me.

Kannot, go with the Colorado, you will not regret it. By the way, the red rig you chose looks great. Enjoy!!  

Sirineou I can give you the e mail of a  man at Chevrolet he will give you a  big  discount 122k off the lTZ Z71 and 90k off the high country and high country storm models , I then took this to my local dealer and they said they would match it ( after some humming and aaarghing), i am paying cash. Dealer will also swap the wheels off the storm model of  black to the  silver black of high country, includes the wheel arch flared, black bowtie front rear, bed  liner  also today asking for cup holders and  real chevvy mats.............am walking in with the cash to "encourage" them.

Agree its a good  vehicle and deserves to do better.....maybe things will improve in the next few  years. If  not I still consider it a good  deal.

Due a minor update in 2019 and full update 2021.

They arent  selling many Trailblazers the bulk of their sales now is Colorado

Edited by kannot
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

For sure theyre  trying to break into the market  more and expanding the dealer network by 20  odd  this  year, they will concentrate hard on the Colorado after dumping (like Ford) cars

2 minutes ago, kannot said:

Sirineou I can give you the e mail of a  man at Chevrolet he will give you a  big  discount 122k off the lTZ Z71 and 90k off the high country and high country storm models , I then took this to my local dealer and they said they would match it ( after some humming and aaarghing), i am paying cash. Dealer will also swap the wheels off the storm model of  black to the  silver black of high country, includes the wheel arch flared, black bowtie front rear, bed  liner  also today asking for cup holders and  real chevvy mats.............am walking in with the cash to "encourage" them.

Agree its a good  vehicle and deserves to do better.....maybe things will improve in the next few  years. If  not I still consider it a good  deal.

Due a minor update in 2019 and full update 2021.

Thank you much for the kind offer? I also agree that it is a good vehicle, as good or better than anything else. IMO it is the best looking pick Up in the Thai market.

Please PM me the email of your contact,

I am working abroad now, as soon as I finish the project I am involved in I will be retiring and returning to Thailand full time , (estimated time June - sept 2019) . I will also be paying cash but I think they rather I financed some, as they make money on the finance side also.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Thank you much for the kind offer? I also agree that it is a good vehicle, as good or better than anything else. IMO it is the best looking pick Up in the Thai market.

Please PM me the email of your contact,

I am working abroad now, as soon as I finish the project I am involved in I will be retiring and returning to Thailand full time , (estimated time June - sept 2019) . I will also be paying cash but I think they rather I financed some, as they make money on the finance side also.

Done.

4 hours ago, kannot said:

Done.

Picking up truck tomorrow, final deal 97k discount off list price (1098000) + free bed  liner, floor mats, black wheels  swapped for the two tone off a  standard High Country, front/ rear bowtie emblems, 2  cup holders,wheel arch flairs ALL Chevrolet parts no copies value at retail of

36,310 baht I know they make a  good  mark up on these things normally.

Red High Country Storm 4x4 Colorado.

To ease negotiations along at a  stumbling point I produced this which the bank wrapped for me ????..it seemed to help especially as it came out of  7-11 bag.????

20181126_095216.jpg

24 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Sounds like you did okay, hope you love it.

But I like the black wheels on the red much better. Post some pics when you get it...

personal  choice, photos  tomorrow, do u want me naked on it??

17 hours ago, transam said:

Just for my gray cells, let me know if they still use the AC Delco battery and setup...

I believe they are clockwork now.............???? going to be there at 10 with my starter key

images.jpg

On 11/26/2018 at 1:40 PM, mogandave said:

Sounds like you did okay, hope you love it.

But I like the black wheels on the red much better. Post some pics when you get it...

ahem, with the "better wheels" imo.

Spent the afternoon  polishing it with some Autoglym I brought from the UK as expensive in Thailand............the paintwork is by far the best out of all the other manufacturers here, glad i didnt get the Ford it really is 3rd rate paintwork, close up of reflection in paint, compared to Ranger just  cack

Very Happy  so far.

20181127_140303.jpg

20181127_140314.jpg

20181127_140328.jpg

20181127_140342.jpg

20181127_140455.jpg

Ranger crap paint.jpg

Edited by kannot
  • Like 2

On 11/26/2018 at 2:11 PM, transam said:

Just for my gray cells, let me know if they still use the AC Delco battery and setup...

Yep Ac Delco, as for set  up havent checked thoroughly yet.

Best part for me service  book in English states this...............perfect!!! Using Dexos  2 the handbook states 15k service intervals, just  what I wanted.

Service book also says the same 15k or  9  months. English manual printed in Bangkok and dealer confirmed 15k with check at 5k for the first time only

20181127_191553.jpg

Edited by kannot

13 hours ago, kannot said:

Yep Ac Delco, as for set  up havent checked thoroughly yet.

Best part for me service  book in English states this...............perfect!!! Using Dexos  2 the handbook states 15k service intervals, just  what I wanted.

Service book also says the same 15k or  9  months. English manual printed in Bangkok and dealer confirmed 15k with check at 5k for the first time only

20181127_191553.jpg

OK thanks, would be interested to know it's dimensions. A friend in the trade told me the conventional size battery for pickups, that you can buy anywhere, will not fit in a Chevy so you must source the more expensive AC Delco battery, which could be a pain in the ass if not near a Chevy store. Perhaps they have reverted to a standard size battery, that's why I ask.

When Chevy and Isuzu were linked the Isuzu had a standard fit battery the Chevy had the AC Delco size battery, so you had to buy the GM (AC Delco) battery.. 

OK thanks, would be interested to know it's dimensions. A friend in the trade told me the conventional size battery for pickups, that you can buy anywhere, will not fit in a Chevy so you must source the more expensive AC Delco battery, which could be a pain in the ass if not near a Chevy store. Perhaps they have reverted to a standard size battery, that's why I ask.
When Chevy and Isuzu were linked the Isuzu had a standard fit battery the Chevy had the AC Delco size battery, so you had to buy the GM (AC Delco) battery.. 

I think the “stickers” are different sizes.

JCI makes about 80% of the OEM batteries in the world, different colors and labels and whatnot.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:51 PM, kannot said:

Hey........................after I showed them  my prices and them passing out they really wanted  me to give them a deposit, I declined, am checking a  Bangkok dealer Monday to see if anymore discount available, although to be  honest Im quite happy with their offer especially the wheels  swap from another new High Country in the showroom, that was a  big thing I wanted to do, would have bought the LTZ Z71 as could get 122k discount but  by the time Id  added what i wanted in accessories the price went up a lot and no 4x4  option.

Yes its the red one, but dont want the all black wheels so some lucky person will get a noraml high country with all black wheels, got sick of the colour choices  offered by Ford was told red then "no hab" I mean Christ do they know what they are  selling.

Couldnt birng myself to try the Triton its just too freakin ugly although its a sound  enough pick up. debated need for 4x4, probably never use but who knows even so still 100kg lighter than the Ford.

Time, was never in a  hurry, ill go thru every detail no matter how tedious.......then ignore whats sensible.

Went back into Ford today but sheesh they are like vultures, i walked round and round the car  about 3  times with them right behind me, eventually 4  of  them following me, at which point I walked/sprinted  out. 

Think the Colorado is a pretty sound truck mechanically havent seen any disaster stories and an ecu upgrade can unleash a lot more if required, raptor power...........warranty on engine void for sure but autobox can handle it ok 500nm+ and 210hp currently 440nm and 180bhp, its this actual one with the wheels  swapped

20181109_124043.jpg

Interesting comment on an upgrade but why not fit a tuning box as opposed to having the ecu remapped which as you say will void the warranty . The box can be easily removed for servicing etc . Also , I am sure you are aware , remapping needs to be carried out by an expert or damage to the engine , transmission and braking systems could occur . Having said all that I have driven the Colorado and found it had all the power that I need , especially on Thailand's roads .  I have 2 friends who have new Colorado's up to 2 years old and both are very pleased with the trucks and even get fed by the showroom staff in the customers lounge when they take the motors for servicing . I hope to be a future Colorado owner .

• Like 1