Chevy Colorado

kannot

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/16/2018 at 9:30 AM, Issanman said:

Would love to hear what the OP thinks about his new Colorado, now that he has had it a couple of weeks.

Disclaimer , I am a perfectionist, years of decorating/construction teach you quality and I notice every flaw Im probably  a  companies  worst nightmare.

OK............ no  issues  with the vehicle in general, the dealer  like a  lot of Thai companies is full of excuses and some  poor  quality workers, but for me this was expected as  this  is  Thailand and its widespread , even with the "best" brands Ive  had issues,  Honda and Toyota over the years even once had to write to Japan Honda and got a very apologetic  reply with a  visit from top Honda guy here.

Not awful but  lacking in many ways, polite  enough and some staff spoke excellent English, they even got me an English manual without asking. Service intervals did turn out to be 15k kilometres even on 2018  models, I used fully synthetic not their semi.

So I wanted the silver and black wheels which they said they could do by swapping  off another new High Country (non storm model) they had in stock, these had a  plastic sticky  film on them they had to remove and they couldnt  do this easily as they didnt  know that to remove the sticky goo on them ie  the  glue, they needed to use  Turpentine   thinners  which would  dissolve it. 

One smart  person decided that using a  green scourer would get it  off.................it  did and in the process   scratched the wheels to pieces.......I declined them.

They then said they would  get another new set but  really they thought I would  actually  accept them all scratched, Wife   bollocked them mainly because  they thought that i would be dumb enough to accept scratched  wheels.

Of course they didnt have another vehicle  in stock so I had to wait (2  weeks), they got some from "somewhere" and they were ok but 2016 tyres on them (dates  stamped on sidewalls ), looked slightly   used but  still had  full tread on them and when cleaned up were fine, but this  took THREE trips extra instead of  one

( 80km round  trip per  time, plus wasted  time)

I  added as  part of the deal the black chevvy bowties logos, the back original gold one they just  pulled  off, didnt  remove all the foam ie  left on a  thin black layer of  foam and  stuck the  new one on top.

By doing this and not removing all the old  foam within 1-2  days it was  lifting  off at the bottom. I removed it, cleaned off  all the foam base and  glue  with turpentine until 100%  clean then  got some 3  m super  strong double  sided  tape and stuck it  back, no problem since. The  front  one instead of undoing the front grill they pried off with a screwdriver and I found the original broken part in the sump pan protector ,no damage to the  grill but  just a lazy  bodge.

Asked them to change  oil and filter,  manual said it  took 5.6 litres  of  oil which I bought ( 6  litres) on the day I  collected it as I wanted to change the  oil at 1000- 1500km which they did BUT  added  another 1  lit  to the  bill so 7  litres?? I checked with chevvy  head  office and they said 2018  models  use  approximately 6.4litres..............ok fair  enough.......but they never gave me back the old  oil filter or  remaining oil.

Car manufactured in 2018 I checked the vin.

I  looked at the oil filter housing  and it  doesnt  look like its  been removed so who  knows if they really changed the filter, there was  oil  round the drain plug  so id  say they   definitely  changed that.

Put  it  this way , these  things starting with the wheels  made me not trust them.

I asked them to add front  mudflaps  but they said they couldnt be done with the wheel arch flares.......I  bought the front half at 500 baht (750 the pair) theyd  put 1000 baht on the plastic  wrapper (falang price?) but Chevvys website says 750..................and  with a  bit of adjustment and  bigger  washers  fitted them myself.

I  will NOT be using the dealer at Hua  Hin for any other work, I go to Bangkok regularly and will do it there , I got what I wanted with a  good  discount and thats all I was hoping for.

I didnt  want to buy from Hua  Hin but they had in stock the RED  model and would swap the wheels  (important for me) and they gave me a  100k +  discount, threw  in Black bowties, rear bed  liner, 2  sets of mats inside,  wheel arch flares and  cup  holders all genuine Chevvy  parts,  totalled  another 40k in accessories.

I paid for window  tinting 4k which was done well and a  very cheap price with lamina  film 40%. 4000  baht.

The  bonnet (hood)  vibrated a  lot and rattled  after 2  days due to the rubber  pad/stops under the bonnet  not  being extended out  enough, these  screw  in and  out for adjustment and after I screwed them out a bit it was   fine, a  2  second  job.

Under the front wheel area I found one push stud  missing holding on  the wheel  liner (6  in total), I put my own in took 2  seconds, guess  missed on assembly.

Gear lever has a sharp  corner on the plastic  chrome on one side, filed  down fixed in one  second  by me again.

I bought and fitted myself front  bonnet  gas openers and also for the tailgate, much  better and quite  cheap.

I also wanted a second screen holder  for my 8 inch tablet so i made up a piece of mdf, sprayed it matt  black to fit the tray by the front speaker, made a stainless metal L  shaped  bracket, sprayed that matt  black attached some velcro to back of tablet and bracket and got a  second screen, ran  all the cables behind the dash

Ok so dealer crappish but "expected" like everything here YOU have to check everything yourself it  applies with every company Ive dealt with.

Vehicle, I like the taught body its  pretty  stiff and the paint quality has the least orange   peel of ANY manufacturer here.

Ive  fitted   ( hard  wired ) 2 dashcams and hidden all the wiring under trim etc.

The engines has a slightly rough feel  at around 1500rpm and the rear view  mirror  vibrates  at this  speed making things blurry for 1-200rpm, I cut a piece of  foam and stuffed it in between  mirror and  main body, end of problem.

Total cost was 1016000 baht List price 1098000 +  all the extras so about 1138000 baht

Runs  fine plenty of  go unlike the Ranger which was a mass of gear changes and felt  sluggish/heavy although it was the heavier raptor.

I  like the remote  start a  lot but would  have liked  adaptive cruise control like the Ford  has. Fords  paint was so crap I couldnt buy it + another 250k with  minimal discount (20k) close up of  chevvy  paint in photo.

Expect slight updated model later this  year and  full change 2022 ish.

Will see how it goes for the 3  year warranty.............maybe do the ecu change later

20190102_095101.jpg

20190102_095107.jpg

20190102_095200.jpg

20190102_095212.jpg

20190102_095338.jpg

20190102_095815.jpg

20190102_095846.jpg

20190102_095451.jpg

20190102_095134.jpg

Forgot to  add @2300km so far, things I dislike, find the front drivers  seat too  high even when lowered  fully  down i can  bang my  head  getting in, have to duck down a  bit, also really dont get on with those sideboard steps things for getting in.............. Im probably  just  awkward at clambering in, left foot  first or  right makes no odds, I just dont use them at all.

No other  issues..............the dealer forgot to reset the tyre  pressure  monitor system when they changed the wheels  so they had to reset it when I took it  back , tried myself but it just wouldnt have it, been fine  since.

On 12/1/2018 at 7:06 PM, sirineou said:

Certainly a good looking rig!!! Good luck with it.

Most likely, SWABO will not let me get one, but I am using by considerable charm skills to wear her down  (I know if I am depending on my charm I am in trouble  ???? ) And don't tell me to grow a pair, I Checked them in at the door when I said "I do"  LOL

A couple of questions, why don't the have  the corner steps on the rear bumper in Thailand, or are they aftermarket options in Thailand" IMO they are more useful than the center step , because the center step gets covered by the tailgate, when the tailgate is down 

Image result for chevy colorado rear bumper side steps

And second question , Not enough cup holders in my opinion, I think I only noticed one in the center console. You mentioned getting extra cup holders as  perks from the dealer, are these cupholders build in? perhaps in the rear seat armrest?

Thai  model doesnt  have that step as  that part of the bumper has 2 parking sensors in it (  4  total at the rear)............cup  holders  latch in at the front  in the dash and are  quite  good so 6  total at the front

9.jpg

1 hour ago, kannot said:

am pleased i hope you enjoy  your "Ford"?

I  however bought a  CHEVROLET????

Now now children, both Ford and Chevy are perfectly good trucks! finish eating  your veggies and play nice:tongue:

11 hours ago, sirineou said:

Now now children, both Ford and Chevy are perfectly good trucks! finish eating  your veggies and play nice:tongue:

actually  theres not  a  lot  in  it whichever truck  u  buy  these  days,  theyre  all  pretty  decent.

More interestingly I found  out to day ANDROID  AUTO is  not available to download in Thailand??

I did however download it via a  mirror site..............why Ford and Chevvy dont mention it?

1 minute ago, kannot said:

actually  theres not  a  lot  in  it whichever truck  u  buy  these  days,  theyre  all  pretty  decent

I agree, I like the Chevy because I like the look, but if I got a good deal on a Ford , a Mazda or an Isuzu I could learn to love the look also, But no way I can learn to love the look of the new Michu triton, what were they thinking when they designed that  front?

Anyway, you got a great looking Chevy, that I am sure you get good service from it  for many many years. Enjoy it in good health. 

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I agree, I like the Chevy because I like the look, but if I got a good deal on a Ford , a Mazda or an Isuzu I could learn to love the look also, But no way I can learn to love the look of the new Michu triton, what were they thinking when they designed that  front?

Anyway, you got a great looking Chevy, that I am sure you get good service from it  for many many years. Enjoy it in good health. 

Really ? I am surprised and that is the first negative view I have read . Gives the truck a more rugged look and appeal in others opinions . Sets it apart from the same same look of other trucks but each to their own. 

5 minutes ago, superal said:

Really ? I am surprised and that is the first negative view I have read . Gives the truck a more rugged look and appeal in others opinions . Sets it apart from the same same look of other trucks but each to their own. 

Just a personal preference, the front   looks, too chunky for me, but I am sure it is a fine truck.

IMO Mitsubishi makes a good product, we bought a 2014 mirage , just to have something to drive while we visit there ( we are back in the US for a few years now for work and only come to Thailand a few months every year)  ,  And we never had a problem with it. My wife's sister drives it when we are not there, even though she has her own car, but she loves driving the michu.

8 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

My Bad, i just guessed never seen a Chevy in that awfull red colour. Be faded in Thai sun very fast.

Dont be stupid............Im not taking it  out on Thai roads are  u mad????, it stays  in the garage  being polished everyday???? along with the other red  car red  bike and now red  scooter. You need  to stick to "dull white" or  "dull silver".........I can see a trend there.....

17 minutes ago, kannot said:

Dont be stupid............Im not taking it  out on Thai roads are  u mad????, it stays  in the garage  being polished everyday???? along with the other red  car red  bike and now red  scooter. You need  to stick to "dull white" or  "dull silver".........I can see a trend there.....

Good idea, Imagine going home in a Workmans Truck back in the World.So embarrassing.!

17 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Good idea, Imagine going home in a Workmans Truck back in the World.So embarrassing.!

which home though? and surely  you must mean "work person"...........have u seen the price of work persons trucks  in  many countries now   though?

On 1/6/2019 at 8:08 AM, superal said:

its  pig  ugly in my eyes  too,  good  truck but erkkkkk

On 1/6/2019 at 7:41 AM, kannot said:

actually  theres not  a  lot  in  it whichever truck  u  buy  these  days,  theyre  all  pretty  decent.

More interestingly I found  out to day ANDROID  AUTO is  not available to download in Thailand??

I did however download it via a  mirror site..............why Ford and Chevvy dont mention it?

now  chevvy  have  removed  all  mention  of  android  auto  off  their  site??

Archived