Renewal period for Thai driving license

SymS

I have a 5-year driving license which will expire in about 2 weeks. Do I have to renew before the expiry date? I'm not sure I'll have time to do before.
Some (Thai) people told me it's OK to renew within 3-month after expiry, but I could not find official confirmation for this.

Does anybody know? Thanks!

One of the FAQ regarding DL.

I should have a template :smile:

You have up to one year after expiry to renew without additional effort/penalty.

The 3 months is the earliest date before expiry to renew.

If you go one day after expiry (aka. your birthday) you get almost 6 years of validity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pontious said:

I would check that your insurance would still be valid.

Not quite sure what you refer to.

Of course, it's not legal to drive with an expired license (which does not stop many from driving to the DLT for extension).

Driving with expired license might void the insurance.

If that is what you mean.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Not quite sure what you refer to.

Of course, it's not legal to drive with an expired license (which does not stop many from driving to the DLT for extension).

Driving with expired license might void the insurance.

If that is what you mean.

I think it is what Pontious means. Every year when I renew my insurance they always make a point of telling me that anyone who drives the car must have a valid, in date driving license otherwise the insurance is void. I'm due to replace my five year license later this year and I'm considering going a few after the expiry date to see if I get six years, rather than five years as has been suggested on this and a number of other threads. But if I do this then I won't drive myself there simply because I won't be insured and I don't think it's worth the risk.  Murphy's law and all that. 

• Like 1