Mueller said last month Trump not a criminal target 'at this point': Washington Post

webfact

Mueller said last month Trump not a criminal target 'at this point': Washington Post

2018-04-04T003247Z_1_LYNXNPEE33029_RTROPTP_3_USA-TRUMP-RUSSIA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Special Counsel Robert Mueller (R) departs after briefing members of the U.S. Senate on his investigation into potential collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., June 21, 2017. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller told President Donald Trump's attorneys last month he was continuing to investigate the president but did not consider him a criminal target in the Russia probe "at this point," the Washington Post reported on Tuesday.

Mueller, in private negotiations in early March about a possible presidential interview, described Trump as a subject of his investigation into alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, said the Post, which cited three unnamed people familiar with the discussions.

Trump attorney Jay Sekulow and his former attorney John Dowd did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The Post said Mueller also told Trump's lawyers that he was preparing a report about the Republican president’s actions while in office and potential obstruction of justice.

"Mueller reiterated the need to interview Trump — both to understand whether he had any corrupt intent to thwart the Russia investigation and to complete this portion of his probe," the newspaper said.

It said Trump and some in his inner circle interpreted Mueller's words as assurance that his risk of criminal jeopardy was low, while other advisers cautioned that Mueller was baiting Trump into an interview that could put him in greater legal danger.

Mueller is also investigating potential collusion between Trump's presidential campaign and Russia as well as whether Trump has committed obstruction of justice by trying to thwart the Russia probe.

Trump has denied any collusion with Russia and has called the Mueller investigation a witch hunt.

(Reporting by Mohammad Zargham; Additional reporting by Karen Freifeld; Editing by Sandra Maler and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-04

I admire how well Mueller and his team have been keeping a lid on leaks.  This 'at this point' comment was like saying to visitors to a high-class restaurant; "the lobsters you see in the holding tank are not yet dead."

Edited by boomerangutang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Say Trump was not aware, or not taking an active part. What does it  say about his leadership, competence and suitability for the post?

No doubt some will rush to over-analyze Mueller's alleged words - but without full context and verification seems kinda futile. And as pointed out, things can change. It is interesting, though, to see how such comments are received by some on Trump's ardent opposition (on here and elsewhere). I'd guess that the Mueller-knows-his-stuff will be scraped by some unwilling to accept anything but a full-blown denouncement. Then again, ardent supporters will probably try to spin this as "proof" for nothing-burger, or imply it is somehow closes the case.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You missed the "at this point" part. He is waiting until Trump will get interviewed and starts telling lies.

No, I did not miss it. I just don't think Trump personally is involved.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

No, I did not miss it. I just don't think Trump personally is involved.

I can't fathom how he could not be involved - thickly.  It's like saying a mafia boss, with hit men and all sorts of nefarious steeped-in-crime people around him (all of them taking order, each day, from The Don), is clean.  To me, that's incredulous.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I can't fathom how he could not be involved - thickly.  It's like saying a mafia boss, with hit men and all sorts of nefarious steeped-in-crime people around him (all of them taking order, each day, from The Don), is clean.  To me, that's incredulous.

It would probably depend on details regarding the alleged collusion's level and scope. Up to a point, Trump could claim he wasn't directly involved, informed or aware (which bears on the issue of his performance as President). The higher up this thing goes, the  harder it would be to deny knowledge and involvement. There could also be other scenarios - such as Trump being aware of certain things/aspects after the fact. This would then be related to cover up, obstruction of justice and all that. So, if there is proof of collusion - Trump may not be directly implicated, but hard to imagine him getting out of it with no issues whatsoever.

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You missed the "at this point" part. He is waiting until Trump will get interviewed and starts telling lies.

More to the point when Trump is interviewed and cross examined  it will uncover the lies he has told, at present Mueller is just dismantling Trumps security fence.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Basil B said:

More to the point when Trump is interviewed and cross examined  it will uncover the lies he has told, at present Mueller is just dismantling Trumps security fence.

I wouldn't bet "trump" will ever agree to such an interview.

This story has as much credibility as a report from a Thailand governmental official on a meeting with a foreign representative.  I can't believe the media, mainly WAPO, is spreading this nonsense.  This utter bs* came from Trump's attorneys.  ZERO CREDIBILITY.  Mueller and his team haven't leaked anything since he was appointed Special Counsel.

2 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

This story has as much credibility as a report from a Thailand governmental official on a meeting with a foreign representative.  I can't believe the media, mainly WAPO, is spreading this nonsense.  This utter bs* came from Trump's attorneys.  ZERO CREDIBILITY.  Mueller and his team haven't leaked anything since he was appointed Special Counsel.

Sorry, I call B.S.

While not perfect I would believe the Washington Post 100 times more than the pile of garbage lies coming out of "trump"'s press spokespeople and his twitter game account. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sorry, I call B.S.

While not perfect I would believe the Washington Post 100 times more than the pile of garbage lies coming out of "trump"'s press spokespeople and his twitter game account. 

I believe most of WAPO's reporting.  They accurately reported that Trump's attorneys said Trump was not a target.  All the media outlets are now picking this up, but it's garbage, because the source (Trump and his lawyers) are pathological liars.

• Thanks 1

The real news is 'Trump is a target of investigation'.

He might not be considered a criminal suspect but if Meuller has, as is reported, placed this investigation in front of a Grand Jury then the GJ may determine criminal charges are warranted. 

Trump and his supporters can take a short breather, Trump has not yet been charged, but don't kid yourself that this is some statement of innocence. 

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Mueller also told Trump's lawyers that he was preparing a report about the Republican president’s actions while in office and potential obstruction of justice.

If Trump isn't careful he'll go from "subject" to "target."

However,

3 potential problems for an obstruction of justice case against Trump

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/25/16868268/trump-obstruction-of-justice-mueller

If there is a Democrat majority in the House by next year - no problems.