Poll -- if you knew you would live 10 years longer would you be willing to severely limited your calories?

Jingthing

Poll -- if you knew you would live 10 years longer would you be willing to severely limit your calories?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"But the study did find that blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides were lower in the group on severe calorie restriction"

Of course. Less carbs means lower blood pressure. Trouble is where are the actual figures? 

What are their vitamin and mineral levels?

"Despite the fact that study after study has demonstrated quite clearly that "overweight" people live the longest, no one can bring themselves to say: "Sorry, we were wrong. A BMI between 25 and 29 is the healthiest weight of all. For those of you between 20 and 25, I say, eat more, become healthier." Who would dare say such a thing? Not anyone with tenure at a leading university, that's for sure."

Readers -- please read the O.P. for what this poll and thread is about.

It is not in any way meant to be a debate on whether or not a long term calorie restricted diet results in more longevity. 

The topic is about IF that were true, would you do it.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Readers -- please read the O.P. for what this poll and thread is about.

It is not in any way meant to be a debate on whether or not a long term calorie restricted diet results in more longevity. 

The topic is about IF that were true, would you do it.

Why start a topic about diet based on bad science?

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Why try to hijack threads? 

You would never do that right?  :sleepy:   anyway fasting does seem to 'kick-start' metabolisms and some of my more 'healthy' friends mini-fast regularly. Add 10 years and lead a boring existence and get to 90 not 80?  no thanks. 

9 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

It's interesting to see the amount of people who would take 10 years off their life just to eat fatty/sugary foods.  Is it really worth it?

I just see food as nourishment, so eating healthy foods or eating not healthy foods, it's the same for me so it makes sense to eat the healthy stuff.  Maybe some people have more active taste buds.

What about all the day to day side-effects of being unhealthy/fat?  A lot of them aren't comfortable/desirable.

Seems a no-brainer to me.

I am one of those people who like to eat and who are overweight.

I remember lots of birthday parties of my grandmother with all the old people sitting there, staring at the cake, and moaning that they shouldn't eat it because of this or that alignment. They looked like they were really suffering. And maybe an hour later they actually had a piece of cake but I guess after that they felt even worse because they didn't restrict themselves. That is definitely not the kind of life I want.

I don't eat junk food. I eat mostly fresh high quality food and I really like it. Fresh bread with honey or jam, bread with salmon and mustard honey sauce, cream soup, a big rare steak, delicious Thai curry with lots of coconut sauce, cake, ice-cream, pasta with cream sauce, the list goes on an on. It tastes great and it makes me happy. Why should I stop that? Only to lose a few kg?

And about the "day to day side-effects": I don't really see them. Sure, other people are fitter than me but that does not really matter if we both take a motorcycle. And the wonderful thing in this country is that many Thais don't care. The girls still "love me" and I have a good time.

If people want to eat less let them do it. But if people want to eat more and want to eat delicious food let them also do it. Could I live longer if I would change my diet? Maybe. Would I feel better restricting myself all the time: Sure not!

3 hours ago, Justfine said:

I find on a low carb diet my energy is more steady. Things like flaxseeds, almonds, walnuts, baby spinach help with sustained energy plus coffee and spices like cloves and cinnamon. Make a protein shake with them. I have 2 or 3 a day. Healthy ice coffee.

On a high carb diet energy spikes then drops.

I am always on relatively low carb, but an energy deficit is an energy deficit no matter how you spin it. There is a difference between a maintenance diet low carb and a diet to lose weight. To lose weight you have to be in a deficit and your going to notice it (depending how large the deficit is). 

I do know what you mean about the energy spikes and drops, I am not talking about that I am talking about a general lower amount of energy. I have had carb spikes, after a meal and then the cash. Its something you recognize after a while i try to avoid it. But I am not afraid of carbs, just don't take them in huge quantities and don't take the ones that give of their energy fast. Not all carbs are made the same and not everyone responds to carbs the same. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I am always on relatively low carb, but an energy deficit is an energy deficit no matter how you spin it. There is a difference between a maintenance diet low carb and a diet to lose weight. To lose weight you have to be in a deficit and your going to notice it (depending how large the deficit is). 

I do know what you mean about the energy spikes and drops, I am not talking about that I am talking about a general lower amount of energy. I have had carb spikes, after a meal and then the cash. Its something you recognize after a while i try to avoid it. But I am not afraid of carbs, just don't take them in huge quantities and don't take the ones that give of their energy fast. Not all carbs are made the same and not everyone responds to carbs the same. 

Im around 8% carbs.

Not sure what yours would be.

I agree though that diet needs to suit yourself as people react differently to different foods plus taste is important so that it's sustainable.

I found that without almonds/walnuts or macadamia then my energy is less. Maybe it is the potassium or other nutrients.

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

Im around 8% carbs.

Not sure what yours would be.

I agree though that diet needs to suit yourself as people react differently to different foods plus taste is important so that it's sustainable.

I found that without almonds/walnuts or macadamia then my energy is less. Maybe it is the potassium or other nutrients.

Not sure how high it is exactly but certainly not 8% I need more carbs for my workouts. I eat at least 70-80 grams of oat in the morning (with some water then in the microwave.. steel cut oats) glas of water with casesein, afternoon some non flavored yoghurt with some casesein and cranberries, at night a big salad with chicken-breast (no dressing). I could get the macro's but after a lot of experimenting I know this best for me.  Its actually not much for a big guy like me who works out a lot. But this diet brings me in a deficit. 

I do a farmers walk with 2 dumbbells in the morning (every morning) for about 12 minutes. Then I workout heavy with weights 4 times a week. Yesterday did squats at 110 kg x 8 (not that much). Deadlifts at around 150 KG x 8 , bench 120 kg x8 (as you see my squat are lagging behind).

I unfortunately have a slow metabolism. 

15 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Do you walk in circles with farmers walk?

I got a small park in front of my house I only have to walk 10 meters to get in the park. So i do 3 rounds of that park, i start of with being able to walk the round complete without putting down the weights.. after the first round I have to put the weights down at 1/3 or 1/4 of the way.. and third round 1/4 or even worse. I am still slowly increasing this its a new thing that I started. It works good for me it wakes me up in the morning, i do this before breakfast as soon as i get out of bed. Then later in the day (on a training day) i do my normal gym routine. 

I thought about going up and down my steps with weights.. but because I like to do things heavy i decided against it as fatigue would set in and I might misstep and have some accident at the steps.. decided that the park was the safer option.

Pan is to aim for 4 rounds and then increasing the weight of the dumbbells kettebels. 

Edited by robblok

5 minutes ago, Justfine said:

You took a day to talk about cooking oil?

90% of Indian curries have no coconut.

Yet it's your fav curry.....

There are hundreds of different Indian curries of which many use coconut. The link I provided states that fact. Whether an Indian dish I like has coconut in it or not I have no idea, I am not a chef....5170.gif.a379ed1071fe0588eb2fa1a98f9eb9b4.gif

Just now, transam said:

There are hundreds of different Indian curries of which many use coconut. The link I provided states that fact. Whether an Indian dish I like has coconut in it or not I have no idea, I am not a chef....5170.gif.a379ed1071fe0588eb2fa1a98f9eb9b4.gif

False. That link talks about cooking oil in the south and Sri Lanka.

Hard to believe you have set foot into an Indian restaurant as most dishes have no coconut.

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

False. That link talks about cooking oil in the south and Sri Lanka.

Hard to believe you have set foot into an Indian restaurant as most dishes have no coconut.

Oh well....bored.gif.992159925ea2828a411a8ce0451bf78b.gif

Just now, Justfine said:

Trans is googling coconut recipes. 

Yea I get that, but there is a difference between using the oil to fry and the milk as a base. Anyway it kinda depends on what curry you take. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Yea I get that, but there is a difference between using the oil to fry and the milk as a base. Anyway it kinda depends on what curry you take. 

He loves coconut for some reason but doesn't know what it tastes like.

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Are you guys arguing about the difference between coconut oil (used to fry stuff) and coconut MILK (used as a base for some curries ?)

My point was coconut oil is used in Indian food where another said it wasn't..

They also use coconut milk...