Mae Sot

cooked

I thought I'd like to visit Mae Sot on my way to Lampang this year. 

Is this a suitable place for two oldies + 11 year old granddaughter? I like walking around markets at night.

Or should I stay outside and just do a daytime visit? 

I have read a few negative reports about the place.

Its the road from hell or it was 2-3 years ago 50-60km of scary mountain roads topped with road works I did a border run there and was the only person on the bridge not sure if the roads are any better now I doubt it . 

Its a nice place;

A MUST visit  ....Khaomao- Khaofang Restaurant.Great Thai food in a wonderful outdoor seating>>>>

I stay at the Im Boutique Hotel,,https://www.agoda.com/im-boutique-hotel/hotel/tak-th.html?checkin=2018-04-14&los=1&adults=1&rooms=1&cid=1744576&tag=18236b62-2959-edb9-b598-0cd2c5a03eaf&searchrequestid=51c8c0ad-a48f-4fc6-8b04-353dfb3fbeca&tabbed=true

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katipo said:

Actually, they have done a lot of work on the roads in the last year of so due to the expanding of the border crossing. They are still very windy, but I find the drive from Tak to Mae Sot scenic and enjoyable.

The town itself is also growing. New restaurants, including a few with international menus have popped up. Although it's been there a while, I do recommend you eat at Famous Ray's. It's the restaurant arm of an NGO.

They make some mean burgers and other 'American' food. The Passport restaurant is also excellent. It's a true fine dining experience for little more than street food prices. The concept is that the NGO trains displaced Burmese in the culinary arts and hospitality. The menu is generally fixed, but given the quality of both the food and service, it hardly matters. You really have to check out the photos on Google Maps or similar to understand how special this place is.

There are a few minor temples etc in Mae Sot, but nothing special. Paying the 500B to get a day visa to pop over the border to Myawaddy is well worth it though. A couple of wonderful temple complexes, fascinating markets, and ice cold Myanmar beer to enjoy. The town still has a frontier feel, and is nice to walk around.

Just outside of Mae Sot on the road to Mae Sariang (Mae Hong Son) there is a hot water spring complex which is nice. You can sit with your legs in the warm water and watch locals boiling eggs. Almost next door, and if you are feeling energetic, you can climb the hill to see a mildly impressive cave. Personally I think the walk itself is the highlight.

That's all I can remember for now. In summary, well worth a visit if you consider yourself a bit of an explorer.

Well said!  It is a few years since I was there but thoroughly enjoyed it.. yes.. the road is a white knuckle ride.. long steep downhills with van drivers pushing it!  ...nice mix of Thai and Burma in the town..  not so nice for the many hundreds of Burmese (Shan & Karen  mainly) in the refugee camps..   Lots of good cheap hotels..(4 years ago..).. If you want to get a little bit off the beaten track well worth a visit..

6753065477_78a504aa72_o.jpg

6753128547_1450fe3941_o.jpg

6763780997_37313a1906_o.jpg

6774490451_18826d4f80_o.jpg

• Like 2

Well Mae Sot is a border town against Myanmar.  How is the crime rate there?

How many people are trying to leave Myanmar at that border crossing?

Might be best to rent a place until you know many answers to questions.

Geezer

I found the drive over from Tak a bit dodgy in parts, not the place to get caught in heavy rain.

Mea sot, interesting markets near the border and the place has that foreign feel to Thailand. I was also able to get a day pass over the border which was interesting. Bought a very large bag of cashew nuts dirt cheap. Mud crabs were being sold everywhere too.

You say "like to visit Mae Sot on my way to Lampang" but what is your whole trip? Where are you starting and finishing from?

Mae Sot seemed like an ok border town; we stated Centara Mae Sot which was ok but noticed there is a Hop Inn which tend to be very good value. Mae Sot is not too big, not too interesting but enough to see/do. The road from Tak to Lampang is a bit scary due to idiot overtaking maneuvers, but the other way to or from Mae Sot on the 105 to Mae Sariang (we stated Riverhouse Hotel (The Teak House) which we enjoyed) is a great road and I really liked MS. Then take the 108 to Lampang.

Lampang to Mae Sot visiting Si Satchanalai and Sukhothai (night) then staying Mae Sot (night), then north to Mae Sariang (night) and then to Lampang is a great trip.

• Like 1

When you get to Mae Sot, if you have a couple of extra days, then head south on route 1090 to Um Phang and visit the Thi Lor Su waterfall.

Did the #1090 on my Honda.
Twisty road with good scenery, unfortunately it’s a dead end road.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/04/2018 at 2:26 PM, Katipo said:

Actually, they have done a lot of work on the roads in the last year of so due to the expanding of the border crossing. They are still very windy, but I find the drive from Tak to Mae Sot scenic and enjoyable.

The town itself is also growing. New restaurants, including a few with international menus have popped up. Although it's been there a while, I do recommend you eat at Famous Ray's. It's the restaurant arm of an NGO.

They make some mean burgers and other 'American' food. The Passport restaurant is also excellent. It's a true fine dining experience for little more than street food prices. The concept is that the NGO trains displaced Burmese in the culinary arts and hospitality. The menu is generally fixed, but given the quality of both the food and service, it hardly matters. You really have to check out the photos on Google Maps or similar to understand how special this place is.

There are a few minor temples etc in Mae Sot, but nothing special. Paying the 500B to get a day visa to pop over the border to Myawaddy is well worth it though. A couple of wonderful temple complexes, fascinating markets, and ice cold Myanmar beer to enjoy. The town still has a frontier feel, and is nice to walk around.

Just outside of Mae Sot on the road to Mae Sariang (Mae Hong Son) there is a hot water spring complex which is nice. You can sit with your legs in the warm water and watch locals boiling eggs. Almost next door, and if you are feeling energetic, you can climb the hill to see a mildly impressive cave. Personally I think the walk itself is the highlight.

That's all I can remember for now. In summary, well worth a visit if you consider yourself a bit of an explorer.

So does the 'day visa' mean I don't need a reentry visa?

• Thanks 1