Who owns a condo in Thailand AND a home in their own county?

For years, it's been my goal to own a condo in Thailand and also own a house in the states, but now that I have the money to do it, I'm faced with a dilemma....

Ideally, I'd travel back and forth between the states and Thailand whenever I'm feeling the urge, but I can't figure out how exactly I'd manage the home back in the states if I were stay in Thailand for 6 months or more at a time. I have no desire to rent my home or the condo to  make income.. I want either to be waiting for me whenever I arrive. But everything I read tells me that leaving a vacant property for any extended length of time is a bad idea. I have no issues with paying taxes and fees associated with either property, but the property... It's just that I'm worried about the best way to make sure it's not destroyed while I'm gone. Most property managers seem to specialize in renting, but maybe there are property managers that just "upkeep" your stuff while you're away? I dunno.

So my question is... Does anyone own a home in their home country and also in Thailand and travel between the two? I know people overseas buy investment properties in the US just to take in the appreciation, so I know this can't be as radical idea as people are making out online.

To those in this situation, how do you handle your vacant home while you are away? The home I'm buying wouldn't be in a state where friends and family live either, so just handing my key over to a friend isn't really something I want to do either.

We maintain the cleaner when we are away to still come in 2-3 times a week for a few hours just to run over things and check everything is ok. Also a family friend who keeps a key (he happens to be in construction which is handy) who goes by every now and again to just check for leaks, burst water pipes etc.

19 minutes ago, Hetouchedme said:

Are there people called real estate management companies that could rent out your home for you in 'the states'?

State of confusion...

I don't want to rent out either property. Most likely I would stay in Thailand and maybe go back to the states one or two times a year and stay a short time. At some point I might reverse that idea and stay in the US and go come back to Thailand to stay a short time. I want my options open to me, so renting is not something I want to deal with as it limits my options.

14 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

We maintain the cleaner when we are away to still come in 2-3 times a week for a few hours just to run over things and check everything is ok. Also a family friend who keeps a key (he happens to be in construction which is handy) who goes by every now and again to just check for leaks, burst water pipes etc.

I'm curious as to how much you pay the cleaner to do this for you and where did you find them?  By 'cleaner' do you mean maid? How can you trust that the person isn't hanging out in your place and having a ball while you're gone?

This sounds along the lines of what I might have to do, but I'm having trouble locating any company online that offers this kinda service. Seems like they all want to manage rental properties. I might have to make a few calls

14 minutes ago, dia1 said:

I don't want to rent out either property. Most likely I would stay in Thailand and maybe go back to the states one or two times a year and stay a short time. At some point I might reverse that idea and stay in the US and go come back to Thailand to stay a short time. I want my options open to me, so renting is not something I want to deal with as it limits my options.

I'm curious as to how much you pay the cleaner to do this for you and where did you find them?  By 'cleaner' do you mean maid? How can you trust that the person isn't hanging out in your place and having a ball while you're gone?

This sounds along the lines of what I might have to do, but I'm having trouble locating any company online that offers this kinda service. Seems like they all want to manage rental properties. I might have to make a few calls

Pay her normal rate as if i was there. Have used the same cleaner for 20 years so no trust issues. For my piece of mind i am happy to continue to pay knowing i have someone checking on the property or someone i can call to go in if necessary. 

Ideally, I'd travel back and forth between the states and Thailand whenever I'm feeling the urge, but I can't figure out how exactly I'd manage the home back in the states if I were stay in Thailand for 6 months or more at a time. I have no desire to rent my home or the condo to make income.. I want either to be waiting for me whenever I arrive. But everything I read tells me that leaving a vacant property for any extended length of time is a bad idea. I have no issues with paying taxes and fees associated with either property, but the property... It's just that I'm worried about the best way to make sure it's not destroyed while I'm gone.

I dont know about the US but with a condo here you only need to turn off the power and water at the mains, deposit cash to cover the annual fees with the front office, and lock it and leave. To be on the safe side you can arrange to pay your electricity bill by direct debit, and I would also leave fridge doors open to avoid mould. You might also want to vacuum pack clothes or bed linen.
Many people in my condo building only come a few times a year, some less that that. I myself have left my condo for months on occasions and have never given it a second thought: indeed is it one of the big advantages of condo ownership here, compared to house ownership.
I would never give the key to anyone here though: that's just inviting someone to pull some sort of scam while you are gone.

13 hours ago, dia1 said:

Does anyone own a home in their home country and also in Thailand and travel between the two?

Yes, I do via an O-A Visa every two years for the last 12 

As reported above,  leaving a condo unoccupied is very doable here in Thailand but I don't agree with the comment that no one should have the key in your absence.  The condo office should always have the ability to access your condo in case of an emergency. (think about you pipes bursting and the downstairs neighbor)  If you can't trust the condo office then I wouldn't live there

The house in the US is more problematic, and is location dependent.  I owned a house in a restricted development in Pennsylvania that required me to drain the water every year, which was a PITA.  But security was not a concern since it had limited access.  I had a central station monitored alarm system as well as a remote Internet security camera.  And all bills were paid by automatic debit

I moved to Washington to a private house in the city limits and the only difference is that I no longer have to drain the water.  I do have a garden man who keeps the grass down in the spring and took the security camera set up with me so I can still monitor the house when I am here in Thailand

The amount of problems living this way are minimal, no problems with banking, drivers licencing, voting, medical insurance, etc because you are truly a tourist, despite the non immigrant visa , since you maintain a permanent residence in your home country if you can afford it  

I don't agree with the comment that no one should have the key in your absence. The condo office should always have the ability to access your condo in case of an emergency. (think about you pipes bursting and the downstairs neighbor) If you can't trust the condo office then I wouldn't live there

The main water valve to my unit is outside the unit and accessible from the corridor as, I believe, is common practice here. Once the valve is off there can be no possible leaks in my unit.

I wouldnt trust my condo management with a used condom, as they have demonstrated their dishonesty and incompetence time and time again.
However that would not be a valid reason not to live here as I would never trust any Thai with my keys in any building. Why? Because even if they are as honest as the day is long (which I consider very unlikely) I know that they probably will not take proper care of my keys, and are quite likely to leave them laying around for anyone to help themselves to or make copies of.

In my absence, if someone does need to access my unit in some extreme situation they can just break the door down or call a locksmith to drill the lock out.

If you are remotely located and struggling to find someone locally in the USA, I would say you have 2 options: 1. You can easily fit you US residence with remotely operated security cameras which you can view anywhere and have a distant relative visit less frequently to do a more thorough check 2: You can sell your US property, release the equity and purchase a condo in the US. The second option would be my choice as it would solve many issues like having to chop the grass regularly. With your released equity also purchase 2 good quality steel front doors for both condos and also the remotely viewed security cameras.

I wouldn't buy anything in Thailand. Can be confiscated at any time. Just ask 90% of the isan farmers. 

This country never came out of the 15th century feudal system   the farmers  can grow crops on the land but never own it. If the decide not to farm it the government confiscates and gives it to another poor sole.  

The government/king owns all the land in Thailand.

13 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

If you are remotely located and struggling to find someone locally in the USA, I would say you have 2 options: 1. You can easily fit you US residence with remotely operated security cameras which you can view anywhere and have a distant relative visit less frequently to do a more thorough check 2: You can sell your US p-roperty, release the equity and purchase a condo in the US. The second option would be my choice as it would solve many issues like having to chop the grass regularly. With your released equity also purchase 2 good quality steel front doors for both condos and also the remotely viewed security cameras.

This guy has the right idea. Sell the house and buy a condo. The condo management in both countries will take care of any problems Just lease your keys with the offices. I own 2 condos - one here and one in the UFor the U.S. condo I pay a monthly fee - charged to my checking account in the U.S. - and prepay the Thai office for electrical and water during the time I'm gone. The  price of utilities is so cheap here that overpaying is a wise move. Otherwise, they'll shut off your service and you'll have to re-start service. An empty house is an invitation for burglary, for uninvited house-sitters who could cause damage,etc. Who needs it?

15 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I dont know about the US but with a condo here you only need to turn off the power and water at the mains, deposit cash to cover the annual fees with the front office, and lock it and leave. To be on the safe side you can arrange to pay your electricity bill by direct debit, and I would also leave fridge doors open to avoid mould. You might also want to vacuum pack clothes or bed linen.
Many people in my condo building only come a few times a year, some less that that. I myself have left my condo for months on occasions and have never given it a second thought: indeed is it one of the big advantages of condo ownership here, compared to house ownership.
I would never give the key to anyone here though: that's just inviting someone to pull some sort of scam while you are gone.

this is one of the HUGE  benefits of owning a condo----just turn off the power,shut door and leave...

it will be the reverse when you return--all very simple and secure.

perhaps you could buy a condo/appartment in your home country- same proceedure.

i have tenants in houses in my country-if i get a vacancy near the time i want to return home, i leave empty-can also do maintenance at these times..my furniture ,tools etc are in storage..

maybe if you have a family member who could stay in your house, then vacate when you return home...

You are wise to be concerned and think twice - I had an idyllic cottage in the woods next to a crystal clear mtn stream w/cascading falls... in USA. I discovered that if left for a certain number of days unattended, it was considered abandoned for insurance purposes... and so, I let a friend w/marital problems stay there for free & when she moved back w/her husband, she let her 17 yr old son stay there w/his GF and they stole a lot of my stuff... 

I decided to sell it and live here full time. I know I could never replace it, but so it goes - I choose to live with as few worries as possible. 

22 hours ago, Hetouchedme said:

Are there people called real estate management companies that could rent out your home for you in 'the states'?

State of confusion...

I see why you are in that state, the OP said, " I have no desire to rent my home or the condo to  make income.. I want either to be waiting for me whenever I arrive. "

One of my duplexes in Florida serves as a family retreat. One side has always been occupied by my family--my grandmother first, then my mother, now my son. The other side is fully furnished, the cabinets and closets full like we left them and the utility room holds my Harley--it was always clean when we returned when my grandmother and mother occupied the other side, not so much now.

However, you may not have the same situation, so why not own a condo in both countries? Security is done, or should be, and you can cut-off utilities when not there. 

I wouldn't buy anything in Thailand. Can be confiscated at any time. Just ask 90% of the isan farmers.  This country never came out of the 15th century feudal system   the farmers  can grow crops on the land but never own it. If the decide not to farm it the government confiscates and gives it to another poor sole.  

The government/king owns all the land in Thailand.

I’d say Rubbish but all the people who told me not to buy a Condo due ripoff schemes, , bad neighbors, the Reds confiscating, civil war NEVER suggested said I would actually be denied access to the country. I ended up been my forced into the Elite visa in my opinion. Never invest more than you think you can AFFORD to lose here.

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

You are wise to be concerned and think twice - I had an idyllic cottage in the woods next to a crystal clear mtn stream w/cascading falls... in USA. I discovered that if left for a certain number of days unattended, it was considered abandoned for insurance purposes... and so, I let a friend w/marital problems stay there for free & when she moved back w/her husband, she let her 17 yr old son stay there w/his GF and they stole a lot of my stuff... 

I decided to sell it and live here full time. I know I could never replace it, but so it goes - I choose to live with as few worries as possible. 

I too have a rustic hill-top cabin near a fast running stream on my timberland in West Virginia. I have a neighbor who watches over it for me just to be able to hunt it while I am gone--have had this agreement with him since 1978; his son will take it over for my son.  I say rustic, because I built the cabin myself about 35 years ago and used wood and stone from my land to do so. The refer and stove are run on bottled gas and I have a generator to provide power for the 12volt lights and pump to satisfy the gravity-fed water system. It also has a wood stove for warmth and cooking. All other furniture and doors and windows and loft bedrooms were built by me. The toilet is a double outhouse. The cabin has front, rear and side porches and is quite comfortable and relaxing. I lock it only with a hook and eye device. The nearest neighbor is two miles away and the nearest grocery store is 31 miles. I welcome my care-taker friend to stay there when hunting, but he only lives at the bottom of the hill, so he usually goes home. Every summer, my cousins from Ohio bring their families for a week or so stay. Nothing has ever been stolen or destroyed, but then again, we are talking about family and boondocks neighbors who know and take care of each other. That land and cabin are the only things I really miss about the US.

I keep a house in Florida, a house in NY and a house in Thailand.

I work in NY, vacation in Florida and in Thailand and  in less than two years plan to retire spending time in Thailand and Florida. 

As said by others, it is important to know where the OP plans to keep a house in the US, because different places  have different requirements.

It has being suggested that he buys a Condominium in the US so he would not have to worry about maintenance,  Condominiums have HOA fees of about $400 per month , that amounts to $100 a week, I am sure for $100 a week you can get someone to take care of your house while you are gone.

I shut the water from the meter in my FL house because one time I had a leak on a toilet bowl tank that went undetected for a month and I received a $1,000 water bill, our city has a broken pipe bill appeal ,which I did by showing my average monthly bills and repair bill ,and most of the overcharge was reimbursed but it took a few months. So shut the water!!.

I also have ADT home security. if an alarm goes off I get a call and or text and If I know it is a false alarm I reset it via my smartphone, if I am not sure I have the local police check. 

Also I have changed the locks with electronic keypad lock, that way no key is needed, If I need someone to go in, I give them the code, (the code can be reset, if I don't want them to have it anymore) 

It helps if you have family in the area to help with  monitoring which I have 

Good Luck  

8 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

As reported above,  leaving a condo unoccupied is very doable here in Thailand but I don't agree with the comment that no one should have the key in your absence.  The condo office should always have the ability to access your condo in case of an emergency. (think about you pipes bursting and the downstairs neighbor)  If you can't trust the condo office then I wouldn't live there

I would have to agree 100% with this sentiment.  Just last week, a pipe in the hallway (in the common areas) of my condo burst and it flooded the hall and 4-5 condos, including mine. Luckily I was home for condo management to knock on the door to wake me during the incident, but the water was still on the floor long enough to ruin the wood flooring.

If I had been away and condo management didn't have a key, I'm not sure what they would've been able to do about the flood of water that entered the room. Break down the door as someone mentioned above... but I don't know if I'd trust them enough to make that call. Better just to stash anything too valuable in a safe/locked closet and give them a key when you're going to be a way for a while.

This is actually the 2nd time this has happened to me in Thailand. At my last condo, a neighbor flooded their apartment, and once again.... the water flooded into the entire door and seeped under the door to flood my unit. So, even if you shut off the main valve to your water, your condo is still susceptible to water damage. If you aren't there and management doesn't have key, it could lead to even worse problems.

2 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

If you are remotely located and struggling to find someone locally in the USA, I would say you have 2 options: 1. You can easily fit you US residence with remotely operated security cameras which you can view anywhere and have a distant relative visit less frequently to do a more thorough check 2: You can sell your US property, release the equity and purchase a condo in the US. The second option would be my choice as it would solve many issues like having to chop the grass regularly. With your released equity also purchase 2 good quality steel front doors for both condos and also the remotely viewed security cameras.

I would definitely do the security camera thing if I purchase something in the US. One concern about that though is what happens when the internet goes out? It's pretty common for a modem to get congested over the course of a few months straight usage and then need a hard reset. Having a relative visit isn't really much of an option. I live on the west coast and all of my family lives on the east coast. I'm not really close enough to my family that I'd trust them anyway.. hah

The condo thing... I have thought about it, but I really want a house in the US for a few reasons. 1.) I'm looking at the property in the US as an investment and you actually own the land rather than a unit in a building. 2.) I'm probably going to buy in Vegas, and nearly every condo that's located in a mid-rise or high-rise building that you could leave unoccupied with piece of mind has sky high HOA fees... I'm talking like $500-2000 per month. When you pile those ridiculous HOA fees on top of the insurances, property taxes and what not, buying a condo just doesn't work out. 3.) Just always wanted to own a house so I could do the "American Dream" thing I guess. I like the contrast of living in a condo in Thailand where everything is minimal and then going back to the US where I can have a backyard and a little bit of space away from my neighbors.

I agree with everyone that leaving a condo in Thailand is pretty easy. The house in the US is what's super complicated and seems like it will come down to me letting a friend stay there for free or hiring someone to take care of it while I'm away. Leaving it truly unoccupied doesn't seem like it will fly no matter how I try to work it out. I don't understand how people who have multiple vacation homes in the US manage it....

12 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I keep a house in Florida, a house in NY and a house in Thailand.

I work in NY, vacation in Florida and in Thailand and  in less than two years plan to retire spending time in Thailand and Florida. 

As said by others, it is important to know where the OP plans to keep a house in the US, because different places  have different requirements.

It has being suggested that he buys a Condominium in the US so he would not have to worry about maintenance,  Condominiums have HOA fees of about $400 per month , that amounts to $100 a week, I am sure for $100 a week you can get someone to take care of your house while you are gone.

I shut the water from the meter in my FL house because one time I had a leak on a toilet bowl tank that went undetected for a month and I received a $1,000 water bill, our city has a broken pipe bill appeal ,which I did by showing my average monthly bills and repair bill ,and most of the overcharge was reimbursed but it took a few months. So shut the water!!.

I also have ADT home security. if an alarm goes off I get a call and or text and If I know it is a false alarm I reset it via my smartphone, if I am not sure I have the local police check. 

Also I have changed the locks with electronic keypad lock, that way no key is needed, If I need someone to go in, I give them the code, (the code can be reset, if I don't want them to have it anymore) 

It helps if you have family in the area to help with  monitoring which I have 

Good Luck  

This is really helpful to see that you're managing to do this. The keycode lock is a GREAT idea...

1. Do you worry about roof leaks or pests while you are away?

2. How do you manage landscaping on the units while you're away? Do you just pay them in advance to take care of it?

3. If you're nowhere near the home, how do you know if an ADT alert is a false alarm or not?

I would most likely buy a house in Las Vegas. Florida was on my list of possibilities as they are both no-income tax states, but since my business is located in NV, Las Vegas will likely be the spot.

2 minutes ago, dia1 said:

I would have to agree 100% with this sentiment.  Just last week, a pipe in the hallway (in the common areas) of my condo burst and it flooded the hall and 4-5 condos, including mine. Luckily I was home for condo management to knock on the door to wake me during the incident, but the water was still on the floor long enough to ruin the wood flooring.

If I had been away and condo management didn't have a key, I'm not sure what they would've been able to do about the flood of water that entered the room. Break down the door as someone mentioned above... but I don't know if I'd trust them enough to make that call. Better just to stash anything too valuable in a safe/locked closet and give them a key when you're going to be a way for a while.

This is actually the 2nd time this has happened to me in Thailand. At my last condo, a neighbor flooded their apartment, and once again.... the water flooded into the entire door and seeped under the door to flood my unit. So, even if you shut off the main valve to your water, your condo is still susceptible to water damage. If you aren't there and management doesn't have key, it could lead to even worse problems.

I would definitely do the security camera thing if I purchase something in the US. One concern about that though is what happens when the internet goes out? It's pretty common for a modem to get congested over the course of a few months straight usage and then need a hard reset. Having a relative visit isn't really much of an option. I live on the west coast and all of my family lives on the east coast. I'm not really close enough to my family that I'd trust them anyway.. hah

The condo thing... I have thought about it, but I really want a house in the US for a few reasons. 1.) I'm looking at the property in the US as an investment and you actually own the land rather than a unit in a building. 2.) I'm probably going to buy in Vegas, and nearly every condo that's located in a mid-rise or high-rise building that you could leave unoccupied with piece of mind has sky high HOA fees... I'm talking like $500-2000 per month. When you pile those ridiculous HOA fees on top of the insurances, property taxes and what not, buying a condo just doesn't work out. 3.) Just always wanted to own a house so I could do the "American Dream" thing I guess. I like the contrast of living in a condo in Thailand where everything is minimal and then going back to the US where I can have a backyard and a little bit of space away from my neighbors.

I agree with everyone that leaving a condo in Thailand is pretty easy. The house in the US is what's super complicated and seems like it will come down to me letting a friend stay there for free or hiring someone to take care of it while I'm away. Leaving it truly unoccupied doesn't seem like it will fly no matter how I try to work it out. I don't understand how people who have multiple vacation homes in the US manage it....

In my  FL home I have an electronic key pad front door lock, If I need to give someone access I simply give them the code, If I no longer want them to have the code, I reset it.

They have really come down down in price and are easy to install. 

if interested check Amazon.

I keep a condo in BKK and a multi family house about 6 kilometers from Boston. I now stay about 6 months in each. I like the idea of a multi family because I have the whole first floor to myself about 85 sq meters ( 900 sq feet) and also the basement , driveway , very small yard and garage are mine. I have tenants who rent out the 2 nd and 3 rd floors for typical high Boston rents and when I leave I just turn the gas heater down to vacation mode and my bill averages about 1000 baht a month and my tenants pipes go through my unit and help heat it a little but I leave my unit at about 12C or 54F,  I unplug all electric things including my fridge and leave a few night lights on that bill is 150 baht a month. If the water pipe busted in the basement my tenants would know and tell me and they have someone that can call. Let’s face it you can leave your house for a weekend and something could happen. I then lock all the windows and doors and leave. I don’t have anyone go in my unit anymore when I’m away. For security I have my nosy neighbor Gerard who lives right across the street for all his 50 something years and next door to him is his nosy mom who has been there 80 something years and Manny next door with his wife and kids who all seem to know every freaking thing that goes on in the small street ( but I kind of like it lol) my tenants also are in and out a lot and would certainly notice if my door was broken down or window smashed in etc.  My condo here I sometimes rented out for 6 months and sometimes I do not. Before my multi family I had a condo in Boston and just turned off the lights there and left ( heat and hot water are included in monthly condo fees in old buildings in Boston) that worked out great too. I’ve been leaving my 113 year old house now for the past 10 winters with zero problems. The snow should all be melted by next week and I arrive back on April 20 th till about October to work and enjoy perfect New England late Spring  and Summer weather.  As mentioned above I do have someone with access to a key to my house and my condo which I agree is a good thing. 

3 minutes ago, dia1 said:

This is really helpful to see that you're managing to do this. The keycode lock is a GREAT idea...

1. Do you worry about roof leaks or pests while you are away?

2. How do you manage landscaping on the units while you're away? Do you just pay them in advance to take care of it?

3. If you're nowhere near the home, how do you know if an ADT alert is a false alarm or not?

I would most likely buy a house in Las Vegas. Florida was on my list of possibilities as they are both no-income tax states, but since my business is located in NV, Las Vegas will likely be the spot.

It certainly can be done, I spend winters in FL. and had a house there for over twenty years.

I never had a pest problem, Roof is relatively new , but I have my Daughter who lives  in the area, and she periodically inspects the house. Also checks mail.  (more about mail and tax later)

ADT has a water leak detection provision in their system, I dont have it, so I don't know much about it, you can look into it.

I have a year long landscaping contract, It costs about $1,000 for the year, they cut the grass, trim the bushes, and for  $140 extra they fertilise for me. They are also good enough to visually inspect the house for me and call me if they see anything alarming. I mail them a check.

I am friendly with the neighbors, a very nice retired fellow across the street in particular,  I have his number and he is happy to check for me, I never had a real incident, a couple of times that my daughter was staying there and her dogs set the motion detector in the living room and she and the neighbor were not there,  the police came , and checked, (if you don't cancel the alarm,ADT calls the police  ).

Check with your local police to see what their policy is, (some police depts will charge you in you have too many false alarms they are called too)    In my Thailand home I have the Red box install in my home. for about $30 a month, the police comes and checks the house every day.  When I am there I always invite them in for a cold drink, and often give them a couple of $  for a wink wink , cold soda later,  It helps to be friendly with the local police . 

Florida has a Homestead property tax provision ( reduced taxable assessment, and 3% limit on any tax increase per year)   if you have that property classified as a primary residence,  which means that you will be getting important mail there, and you will have your drivers licence there, so it helps to have someone stop by and collect your mail, and while there check the house. I have my daughter who lives in the area. I Face Time with her, she shows me the envelope, or content if need be, and I tell her to either shred it or FedEx them to me.

If you don't know anyone in the area I am sure your realtor would be able to introduce you to a trusted local handyman who for a reasonable fee cam keep an eye on the house for you

IMO it is important to keep a residence back home, Thailand is nice but one never knows what the future will bring, and as we get older and medical need arise one might need to repatriate where once medical insurance is.

Hope this helps 

27 minutes ago, sirineou said:

How about buying just the land in Vegas and an RV which can easily go into storage ? I dunno this is really such a subjective topic and depends so much on your personal likes and dislikes. I have a house in Thailand and UK, the former in my half Thai daughters name, she will get it eventually but that was always the plan, however for ease of maintenance my next purchase will be a condo, however I am now considering KL in preference to TLOS. If you are set on Thailand then consider very carefully which condo you buy into. Its important that you buy into a reputably built condo that will actually carry out the maintenance and enhance the block or you could lose money. Also do not be afraid to ask the important questions. I always request the demography of sales secured, as I am pretty fussy about whom may be living the other side of a wall to me, don't get me wrong I do like Thais I just wouldn't want them as condo neighbours and check that when they say it has a gym etc. that it is not a toy gym that will last about 6 months before it all falls apart. Good luck, I'm sure you can resolve the duel dwelling issues, most people do and there are a lot of experienced people in here.

Just a bit off topic, when my house was almost completed I went to snag it prior to the final payment. I took a thai native speaker with me and when they came around in the golf buggy to take me to the house with the clipboard in his hand the first thing I said to my interpreter was, 'Please tell them that they don't have enough paper'. I had set 5 hours aside to carry out the snagging inspection and I used them all, even to the point of filling up all the sinks to check the overflows worked. That opportunity before you make the final payment is your only opportunity so make very good use of it.

I live full time here in Thailand. I would never buy any property here. I rent.

My home in the States is lived in by a friend who cares for the place.

He lives there free of charge, but pays all utilities and manages maintenance.

When I return, everything is how I want it, but my friend occupies one of 4 bedrooms.

I have  Condo Townhome  in Oahu, Hawaii, currently leased long term to renters.  a Condo in Pattaya, that I don't rent when I am not there and a house/farm in Vietnam.  I spend time in all of them, pay taxes on the income for the one in Hawaii.  I have a very reliable Management company that take care of it and ensure renters are vetted.  When I return to visit the property, I stay in a hotel, or BnB. The key is to hire a good ppty management company........I rent a storage unit for $150 a month for all my household goods that I haven't donated to Charity, and my car in the avatar.

Pattaya Condo is very nice, I wouldn't want it wrecked by a drunk renter doing a runner, thats my bachelor pad.  I have insurance on it that I pay as well  -  Condo insurance does not cover the inside of your apartment, only outside.  House/farm in Vietnam is occupied by my family and generates income. 

Iam with you. It's all about convenience.

As a property owner in both countries, IMHO condos are the way to go. Lock and leave and nothing to worry about. Thailand has the extra benefit of no taxes, ie no holding costs and can leave the windows open year round. The downside is capital appreciation is rare and liquity when you want to sell is almost zero.

Archived